My first crash - Page 3 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 10:52 PM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

Letting some fool cause you to ride in a manner other than how you want to ride is giving up some of the freedom that cycle riding is all about. I believe riding is about the freedom to be yourself and to have control so I try not to let some cager idiot dictate my mood when I am on the bike. I do get upset and PO when a big expensive SUV decides to cut me off and I have expressed my anger a few times at traffic lights but it is useless as those people really don't care about anyone or anything other than how they think they rate in their own private world. If you don't give them control they have no control over you. Ride safe.

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 09:03 AM

More serious "food for thought"...any curve has the potential for "spillage"...meaning something on the road surface that could easily cause a bike to skid.A pickup carrying sand could be spilling sand,or gravel... or there was a oil leak or a recent shower...list goes on 'n on!!Even on a bright sunny day you might not see sand or whatever on that curve.Be very aware...slow down a bit on those curves.
OleDirtyDoc likes this.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 01:54 AM

I agree with the statement of vulcan200 that unless and until we give control to anybody on our bike nobody can control us. But many a times it happens that in order to save our own life we need to back off and let the other SUV cut our bike.

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 02:59 AM

Garage
I was riding the other night down a twisty hill, at or slightly over the speed limit. This road is pretty dangerous, mostly potholes, and oncoming traffic constantly sneaking across the yellow line due to the sharp corners. I started to hug the right side of the lane to get a good line on an upcoming sharp left corner, and the SUV behind me floored it past me on the left. He passed me mid-corner just where I would normally have been if I had taken my intended path while cornering. After he was past me I cranked the throttle and matched speed to show my distaste, but realized that my life wasn't worth being able to flip him the bird at the next stoplight. I'm glad I watched my mirrors and was able to back away from the line called foolishness.

1992 US-nonCA * tuxedo mod * r/r relocated

Vulcan slang for newcomers
Service Manual Download
Wiring Diagram + annotations * still undergoing revisions, but still more useful than the generic one. Let me know if you find mistakes or think something additional should be added
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 07:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by duraholiday View Post
Well rode for about 2 weeks now to work and back and was nothing but awesomeness. I was heading home today minding my own business bout to go on my favorite s curve in the road, 20 mph left 90 degree curve. I love to hit that going bout 25 mph and tip my bike and lay it down till the foot pegs drag. Anyway i was slowing down and started to lean into the curve when a car that i couldn't see cause of trees was driving in my lane! I then threw my bike the opposite way to the right and slammed on my brakes, went off the road lost control and tipped my over on the left and i rolled foward in a bean field. Another second sooner i would have been hit head on. The guy kept driving and didn't even stop, 6 people drove by and never stopped.... broken thumb i think, scrapes, broken turn signals, mirror, handle bar slightly bent, clutch lever bent, ans forks outta alignment. Coulda been alot worst...
So sad how heartless people can be these days. Thank God you're ok! That bike can be replaced but a life can't!

MODERN DAY RENEGADE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement