Product Review- G-Max GM11D Dual Sport Helm - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Product Review- G-Max GM11D Dual Sport Helm

Product Review- G-Max GM11D Dual Sport Helm. 2/5 stars.

Full Disclosure: I don't go dirt at all. I bought this as I overheat a lot, liked the idea of a visor blocking out the setting or rising sun, and having a high vis helmet.

Helm is true to size, the color is good, it breathes VERY well with 6 ports to fiddle with (a big bonus in my mind), and the visor blocks the sun from the front well. My issues are with the width of view, the padding(or lack there of), the chinstrap, and the visor distortion.

The Bad: The width is far enough that the sun at all bot almost directly overhead can pour right into your eye even when you have glasses on. The padding feels very minimal and doesn't hold onto your head well making it pinch is spots and overall be very uncomfortable. There are gaps bad enough that a test ride down the alley had it bouncing around my head at every bump. The visor distortion is standable if you look 15ft away but up close it can make the instruments hard to read,. This may have to do with me wearing glasses for astigmatism but I doubt it. The strap is too short, hard to snap on, and worst of all feels like you're being throttled. It doesn't feel safe,

The Good: There is a LOT to like about this helmet, and if the side vision & padding was fixed I'd buy it again. G-Max is a hairs breath, and a little tweaking, from having a fantastic budget helm for most riding. Am returning to seller and buying an HJC CS-17, I don't want to, but I do need the helm to stay steady on my head while riding & to block out the side vision, and the HJC helm does that well.

"For practice is better than art. Your exercise does well without the art, but the art is not much good without the exercise." -Hanko Dobringer, 1389

Last edited by Sean Karp; 04-25-2015 at 09:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

And the Marketplace seller is being a shmuck with the return too.

"For practice is better than art. Your exercise does well without the art, but the art is not much good without the exercise." -Hanko Dobringer, 1389
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 01:28 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Never had a issue with distortion from a visor other than color distortion if I'm wearing polarized sunglasses. I'm know the double walled visors like Pin Lock can get weird images at night. But a properly made visor should not distort your view no matter what prescription glasses you wear are.

Sounds to me like you just picked the wrong helmet (sorry can't bring myself to call them "helms" unless they are meant for human battle)

Every maker seems to have a different head model they use, so it usually behooves you to try on many from different makers until you find one that matches the shape of your head. Oval, round, pointed, or whatever.

This can be a real pain to do if there's no local dealer with a varied selection. If you try buying online I always suggest you ask about their return policy before ordering from them...as you might have to go through 3-4 helmets until you find the right fit.
Nothing is more annoying than a poorly fitting helmet. My first FF...a Simpson...rubbed a hole in my forehead, (until I took a hammer to it and beat the liner down a bit) I actually developed a cyst there.
My Shoei RF1100 fits like it was taylor made to my head....

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Karp View Post
And the Marketplace seller is being a shmuck with the return too.
generally speaking, places wont let you return gear that has been ridden in.

1996 VN750
V&H pipes
HID headlight
Ear shave
Clubman Bars
Matte black plasti-dip "paint" job.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 03:30 PM
Old Fart

Garage
You can tell if a helmet fits right within minutes of putting it on, you don't really need to "go ride" with it.
There ARE helmet dealers online that understand this and do have a no hassle return policy...especially if you are still going to buy a different helmet from them.
And some dealers will in fact let you put gear on and go for ride in it......

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

The HJC CL-17 is one I've tried on, so I'm going to grab one of them on sale. If not I'll grab their CS-R2. I had an HJC for years. I know they fit & the CL-17 is supposed to be good in hot climates.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

So the helmet odyssey continues. Bought this one, HJC CL-17, for $101. I wore an HJC XL for years and this hat does fit (tried it on at Michaels Reno Powersports).

Last edited by Sean Karp; 04-28-2015 at 06:19 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 09:42 PM

hey karp if u dont like that one try one of these the air flow is great and they r cheap from ebay

Last edited by heaney750; 04-28-2015 at 09:44 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 07:58 AM
2014 KLR 650!

Have the ls2 OF569 coming today from Amazon. This is the second because the first was too tight. My measurement came out to a medium by their chart and everyone said they ran small so ordered a large. TOO SMALL so have an extra large on the way.

This one feels pretty good! Also has a removable chin guard which I wanted cause I want more protection than my brain bucket but don't want to feel too closed off from the cows and sht goin by. Has a drop down visor and I love those. So very versatile and only $120

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
Sponsored Links
Advertisement