Street Motorcycle Helmet Buyer's Guide - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Street Motorcycle Helmet Buyer's Guide

For those that are interested

http://www.bikebandit.com/community/...t_buyers_guide

The article is obviously 'Pro Helmet'.

You non-helmet guys - don't get mad and start yelling at me.

Old Bike: 2006 VN750 - Sold

Current Bike: 2007 Yamaha V-Star 1300 Tourer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 05:14 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Talking

Couple of comments here. There are other helmet threads this could have gone in but I'm too lazy to look for the right one and I kinda like the subject title here so I'll let this thread stand alone.

I thought it funny that in the section on Modular Helmets they made a point to say they weren't as safe as a full face helmet, but in the very next paragraph said ones that had the ECE or Snell certificate passed the exact same tests as full face helmet...

They also said the modular helmets had the advantage of being both a full face and open face helmet. I should point out that most makers of flip up helmets specficlly state that you should not ride your bike with the chinbar up....as this can make the helmet more dangerous in a crash. There are some modular helmets that are in fact designed to be worn in the "open face" position, so I'd suggest if you're looking for that advantage you check with the maker before buying.

I'll also point out they made it sound like a DOT sticker on a helmet meant that it passed a DOT test. The DOT does not test helmets by each maker. Instead they have a set of standards that a maker must say their helmet "can" comply with. It's really just a matter then of taking the word of the manufacturer that their helmet complies and then "allowing them" to attach a DOT sticker.

Most makers of course wouldn't risk lying here, and do in fact test their own helmets to make sure they meet DOT standards. But again, there's no guarantee here, especially with inexpensive helmets from overseas (e.g. China... )

I personally only buy helmets with the SNELL sticker...

Lastly, there is no proof a 400 dollar helmet is going to protect your head better than a $100 helmet. And an expensive helmet that doesn't fit you correctly can be less safe than a cheaper helmet that does....

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
I'll also point out they made it sound like a DOT sticker on a helmet meant that it passed a DOT test. The DOT does not test helmets by each maker. Instead they have a set of standards that a maker must say their helmet "can" comply with. It's really just a matter then of taking the word of the manufacturer that their helmet complies and then "allowing them" to attach a DOT sticker.
I didn't know that (never thought about it actually) - interesting....

Old Bike: 2006 VN750 - Sold

Current Bike: 2007 Yamaha V-Star 1300 Tourer

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 08:53 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eusjma View Post
I didn't know that (never thought about it actually) - interesting....
Yes, here's another link on helmet testing:

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/mot...e-22-05-snell/

Failure to comply to DOT (and saying you do) can cost you $5,000 per helmet. So if you've made 1000 helmets ....well you do the math....

There was some criticism awhile back that the SNELL testing was too stringent and that companies were making their helmets TOO tough...and thus not as protective. (Helmets like cars are made to crush under specfic forces absorbing the shock)
New SNELL standards are more inline with current crash data and are now more simular to the ECE standards.

Another aspect that was thought unfair was SNELL tested for "multiple impacts"....the main reason many flip up helmets didn't pass....the chinbar on many tested broke on impact.
I'm told there are a few Modular helmets that do have current SNELL certification....

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 05:58 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I am definitely pro helmet. Not just for crash protection, but for comfort. I wear inexpensive DOT full face helmets.

To anyone planning to buy an expensive helmet because it provides better protection, I suggest reading this. This test was done in 2005, by David Thom and the late Prof Harry Hurt. I can think of no one more qualified than they are. They tested a lot of helmets, from a $79 cheapie to ones costing several hundred $$$. The cheapest one provided the best protection. They determined that the Snell standard is not representative of real world crash situations.

http://www.westcoastweasels.com/arch...he_Lid_Off.pdf

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

While I havn't read the article you linked Jerry.. I have heard that Snell did change testing and certifications recently (other than the previous post from KM).

you said the article was done in 2005, 9 years ago.

I agree totally that a cheapy helmet that fits right is better than a $$$$ that don't fit properly.

That said, I wear a cheap 3/4 helmet, with a full face shield. I am glad to find out that there are some Snell/ece certified open face or 3/4 helmets out now.

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 07:40 AM
Old Fart

Garage
There has been SNELL approved 3/4 helmets for many years....it's not a recent thing.

Yes, Jerry's article is a bit dated now. As I mentioned current SNELL standards are more in line with ECE ones now.

Keep in mind any of the above tests are only useful as a general comparison. Thères always the chance in "real world" situations where results can differ...or not be represented in testing. (They don't test helmets by running over them with a truck....for example.. )

My Shoei cost me just under $300 and it is the nicest helmet I've ever owned. I realize its likely not any more protective than my $100 helmet....but it's features and fit are much better. If you want to say I'm foolish to spend that much on a helmet, I'll just say my heads worth it....

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 07:52 AM
2014 KLR 650!

I feel naked without a helmet. I wear a half helmet most of the time but a fulkl modular in the fall and winter and also have a three quarter.

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 12:07 PM
..have a vulcan good day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyfoot2001 View Post
I feel naked without a helmet. I wear a half helmet most of the time but a fulkl modular in the fall and winter and also have a three quarter.
x2 ...I will not go around the block w/o a helmet....(my head is worth at least that much)

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

me too actually.. I have ridden the corner store without it, and I don't like it.. My eyeglasses do nothing to keep the wind out of the eyeballs.. I don't have a set of prescription goggles (and I need the specs to see the idiots well enough to drive away from them), so I wear the helmet whenever I am on the bike.

stats show (at least with auto accidents, can only assume similar for motorcycle) that most accidents happen within a few miles of home (less than 10 If I recall correctly)

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement