Street Motorcycle Helmet Buyer's Guide - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 12:36 PM

Thanks for all your writings, peeps. Suddenly I feel more knowledgeable!

Dave
----------------
2005 Vulcan 750
Purchased May, 2011 @ 2,172
Splines lubed @ 2,962 (were in good shape)
Küryakyn Daily Tour Bag
SS-28 Slipstreamer Smoke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 02:51 PM
2014 KLR 650!

FYI I have this GMX helmet and it's great or the price. I also bought the wireless brake light kit. Worked great. Until. I hit some torrential rain this summer and the brake light compartment is decidedly NOT waterproof. When I got home I noticed the light was on even though it was off. I couldn't turn it off either. It ran for like four or five days.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...7EW8079173JT7G

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 02:10 AM

Went down last night and my helm seemed to transmit a heck of a lot more force than I would have suspected. I use an '08 HJC basic model. What got me is that after 15 years of WMA Armored Combat I know a bit about being hit in the head, and I'm just really surprised folks in the motorcycle helm industry are not taking notice as a number of folks in my hobby have gotten their combat helmet's DOT approved.

I know my combat helm is like $800 new but visoelastic polymers aren't that much, nonnewtonian fluids are out there, and 3+ stage padding isn't that hard to make. Heck I find it hard to believe that a solid lance, sword, or poleaxe strike is harder than asphalt. I know that part of the protection is the deformation and energy absorption of properly tempered mild & spring steel but still.

Like here Brothers of Steel- HMB Full Contact Steel Vid

"For practice is better than art. Your exercise does well without the art, but the art is not much good without the exercise." -Hanko Dobringer, 1389

Last edited by Sean Karp; 04-06-2015 at 02:17 AM.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 07:28 AM
Old Fart

Garage
I don't think that's DOT approved. You can wear it, but only if you are riding a horse.
Perhaps you got hit in the head a few too many times?

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 04:04 PM

Oh I wouldn't wear it, I mean leather & synthetics ablate, but steel skips.

However physics is physics and coming off a horse at 25-30 mph from 5+ ft up isn't, according to that cool little PDF posted up (much appreciated BTW), that much different and jousting helms are used over and over.

It makes me think the two communities aren't communicating.

BTW lots of guys into armored combat are into bikes, so picture this: A guy in full kit goes around a bend and gravel has him skit out. Bike lays down at 50 MPH. Guy hits ground & is just like "darn, how am I gonna get home?" cause his kit saved every bit of him, however he discovers he's skipping down the road trailing sparks cause steel doesn't ablate like leather, and the cliff he's coming at is coming fast.

Lucky he hit the dirt, flanges, tassests and whatnot catch and he comes to a halt none too soon. From then on he wore his leathers on his body even if he still sometimes wore the steel helm.

"For practice is better than art. Your exercise does well without the art, but the art is not much good without the exercise." -Hanko Dobringer, 1389
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 05:04 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Used to road race with a guy that put a strip of steel in his knee pucks. He'd go into a turn and leave a trail of sparks as he lightly touched his knee down.
Freaked out anyone riding behind him.....

Motorcycle helmets are made to take forces differently than combat helmets. You rarely have a direct impact crashing a bike. If your going 35 mph when your head touches down, impact is really a tangent. You're still "falling" at the same speed you would be if the bike wasn't moving.

Some research shows many riders don't get brain injuries from falling and hitting their head...it's from their head suddenly being twisted ...(think of an airplanes wheel when it first touches down as a plane lands)

Watched the videio you posted. Sorry, helmet or not I'm not going to let someone whack me in the head......

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement