Getting ready to move cross country, how do I transport this bike??? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Getting ready to move cross country, how do I transport this bike???

Getting ready to move in a month or so, and here's the situation: My wife has to leave first in her Honda CR-V with the dog and the things she needs to start her new job. I will follow a week and a half later with a U-Haul and all of our other belongings. Between the two of us we only have that Honda and I have the bike, for which she is not licensed nor trained.

Neither of us have ever towed anything in a trailer ever, and I love my wife but I don't think she can handle the bike on the back of her Honda (more to the point, I doubt the Honda can handle it). However, at the same time I don't exactly trust myself with a fully loaded U-Haul on an 800 mile move (DC to central IL, and I'm particularly spooked about 1. DC traffic and 2. crossing the mountains) to be my first time towing my baby.

So, in the big picture I see 2 options because I AINT selling this bike. First is brave the U-Haul and trailer combo for a single trip and just white-knuckle it through the mountains I guess. Not thrilled with that for the above stated reasons.

The other, more comfortable alternative in my mind is to park the bike at a friend's place while I take the U-Haul to IL (a trip I have done before). When I get there, I unload the truck, rest for a day, then hop on a train back east with my gear. There, my friend picks me up and I start leg 2 touring the 800 miles home over a few days just to take it easy.

By car, road trip style, my best time straight through on this route was 12 1/2 hours. With the U-Haul there will need to be an overnight stop. I've never taken this bike quite that far before, but I'm betting I'll need to stop and rest up on the bike too. That makes option 2 probably a week-long process, but one heck of an adventure in my book! The only cross-country riding I've done on this bike was from DC to Atlantic City and back, but I just feel more comfortable in the saddle than with the bike in tow. I know this bike isn't exactly purpose built for long-distance cruises like this one and I'll probably walk funny for a week, but I think I can make it happen.

So, which one do I do??? Are my fears of towing unfounded?

If I trailer the bike, who can give me pointers on how not to catastrophically screw it up and wind up in a mountain ditch? The thoughts of that trailer bouncing around or swinging back and forth on a mountain road or in DC traffic scare the bejeezus out of me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 10:21 PM
Concert connoisseur

Garage
get a little bigger uhaul and strap it down in the back, or for the amount of money the extra trip would cost you 2x4's are cheap, build a small crate and pack it in, thats the route I would go!

1986 vn 750 aka "Huck Farley"
42,000 miles
Rick's stator and rr
Tuxedo stator cover mod
pickup coil mod
dampers replaced
agm m/f battery
Harley sportster exhaust, degoated
Hid conversion
splines lubed
custom "vn750.com" grill cover
NGK Iridium spark plugs

acct to mcct mod https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

rekeying locks, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7309

stator replacement walkthrough, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11369
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 11:09 PM

Mebbe if ya added a location to yer profile, some could help ya better....where the fook are ya , and where ya going ????.....this vague sheit dont cut it bro.....you new guys need to start adding yer locations so others can help if needed and close....dig ???

If yer in the Northeast US....I'll run the bike out fer ya, and ya pay fer busfare back and food (and beer)......

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 02:02 AM

trailering the bike behind the u-haul - as long as you have it firmly strapped down on a proper bike trailer - is a piece of cake. Just as long as you're going forwards. It's the whole backing a trailer up that's the hard part. Just don't drive balls to the walls and you'll be fine. Always the option of getting a bigger uhaul, and strapping the bike down inside it as well.

If you've done the DC to AC run on a bike before, and you're confident of your stamina and superslab riding, might as well get you some ironbutt training, and run the bike yourself. Would definitely be something to remember and make for a good story.

My best run from DC to Chicago - in a car, mind you - was like 11 hours. The stretch thru the mountains of PA was fun, but driving across OH and IN was bo-ring.

At the risk of sounding cliche, but YOLO. If you don't have any real deadlines to meet for the move, I'd vote for riding the bike after doing the uhaul thang. Plan accordingly and enjoy the trip on your bike!

"wanting people to listen, you can't just tap them on the shoulder anymore - you have to hit them with a sledgehammer. and then you'll notice you have their strict attention"
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 05:55 AM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryBob View Post
trailering the bike behind the u-haul - as long as you have it firmly strapped down on a proper bike trailer - is a piece of cake. Just as long as you're going forwards. It's the whole backing a trailer up that's the hard part. Just don't drive balls to the walls and you'll be fine. Always the option of getting a bigger uhaul, and strapping the bike down inside it as well.

If you've done the DC to AC run on a bike before, and you're confident of your stamina and superslab riding, might as well get you some ironbutt training, and run the bike yourself. Would definitely be something to remember and make for a good story.

My best run from DC to Chicago - in a car, mind you - was like 11 hours. The stretch thru the mountains of PA was fun, but driving across OH and IN was bo-ring.

At the risk of sounding cliche, but YOLO. If you don't have any real deadlines to meet for the move, I'd vote for riding the bike after doing the uhaul thang. Plan accordingly and enjoy the trip on your bike!
that just means you didn't take the right roads here in OHIO! lol

I'm guessing you took the turn pike all through OHIO?!

there are lots of options, you just need to get creative. but I think the easiest would be just to rent the bigger Uhaul and put the bike in the back. although that might not be the funnest way to do it. lol

if it goes vroom or boom, I LIKE IT!

Last edited by ruger; 07-23-2014 at 05:57 AM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 05:58 AM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

I would go with the slightly extra price of one size larger than your household belongings require and pack the bike in the truck. Drain the fuel completely and then just go. You know having a trailer behind you without experience is an accident waiting to happen and at some point you will need to back up. Although backing up a trailer is not difficult at all it does take some experience in tight places. Also that particular style trailer is not very visable in the side view mirrors due to its size (narrow and short) which increases the difficulty along with the light weight. I drive all sizes of trucks with all sizes of trailers at work and it bcomes second nature but that is with time which you do not have. Good luck with your decision and the drive.

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

Just got done doing 1200 non straight thru in a car. Will be doing it again end of week. From Sw FL to central lower Mich and gonna have to go back end of week.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2005 VN750

Sold 11-27-17
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 09:09 AM
Old Fart

Garage
I'd ride the bike back and take my sweet time doing so.....how much fun could that be? Take a route through the Smokies, hit the Skyway and the Dragons Tail, have a beer of two in Gatlingburg, spend the night in motels where needed.
When you going to have a chance do do something like this again?

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 10:31 AM
2014 KLR 650!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
I'd ride the bike back and take my sweet time doing so.....how much fun could that be? Take a route through the Smokies, hit the Skyway and the Dragons Tail, have a beer of two in Gatlingburg, spend the night in motels where needed.
YEP!!! Bring the truck back since it would probably be the same price or cheaper to return it to the location you rented it from and drive the bike back! FUN TIMES WILL BE HAD BY ALL!

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 11:34 AM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
like I said, get creative! lol

if it goes vroom or boom, I LIKE IT!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement