Took my first major spill today - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Took my first major spill today

So, as I was riding a car in front of the car in front of me jams his brakes to make a non signalled turn. The car in front of me brakes hard and I in turn brake hard. I applied too much break though, which would have been fine, a little fishtail maybe but not enough to tip me over.

Unfortunately I just happen to be on a broken, gravelly bit of asphalt and it all went south quick.

Also unfortunate, due to the warm weather I wasn't wearing my leather and took a nasty bit of road rash the arm. The pants I got were ripped up pretty good too and my knee has looked better.

FORTUNATELY, I was wearing a helmet and gloves so hands and head were all fine.

Always looking to turn negatives into positives I wrote an article about it

http://bulletsfirst.net/2014/06/06/g...-tools-needed/

Some wound pictures there and a shot of my helmets damage.

Or you can go straight to the youtube video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-H_Et2iEmY

But on to the important matter...THE BIKE.

Damn, our Vulcan's are made like TANKS. The bike made it through better than I did. While the seat did get ripped off as the sissy bar broke and a little chrome got scratched the majority of the impact found its way on the foot rests and hand bars.

Not body or engine damage. Just need to straighten out the handlebars.

Love my Vulcan!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 09:55 PM

Sorry to hear about the accident man. I'm glad you weren't hurt any worse than you were.

Wishing you and the bike a quick recovery.

Old Bike: 2006 VN750 - Sold

Current Bike: 2007 Yamaha V-Star 1300 Tourer
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 10:03 PM
Dr. Vulcanstein

Good to see you walked away with.minor injuries. 2 second rule in a car and I at least double that on a bike, just sayin. I have a good set of bars and a near mint seat ill let go for a good price if needed.

.... - " " - .
..( ___/\ /))
.( l vv/ )(
.) \ O/ )((
..(( .)(. )\ \
.....) . ( / /
.....( )

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 10:18 PM
200% senile

Sorry to hear about the accident but I'm glad that the injuries were no more serious than what they were.

1996 VN 750
2007 Vulcan Mean Streak SE

When I was younger I was afraid I'd die riding. Now that I'm old and falling apart, I'm afraid I won't.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I appreciate the well wishes.

And yeah, I do have a nice leather jacket that would have probably eliminated the arm injury but stupid me thought it was too hot for such things.

I think an investment in some warm weather armor is on the docket.

As for the bike, I ended up riding it home and outside of the handlebars being a little askew it runs fine.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 11:53 PM
Chasin' the blacktop

I just invested in a good mesh jacket myself. I strongly prefer just a t-shirt but after seeing a friend who's hip and shoulder were eaten deeply during a slide I decided to spring for something cooler than my leather jacket. While still a little warm on a hot day I know I'll probably lose less skin if I ever go for the slide.

I was happily surprised at how little the armor padding shows in the shoulders, elbows, and back, falls naturally in place and I don't even know it's there. While I'm not willing to deal with padding at the knees I'm considering some of those Sliders Kevlar reinforced jeans. I wouldn't wear them most days, just riding to the shop or around town but on the longer rides they're worth considering.

Mend yourself and the bike, then just like a horse ya gotta climb back on and ride.

[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] The mini-skirt is a very functional article of clothing. With it a woman can run much faster; and because of it she may have too.
North Georgia

Last edited by Spencer1; 06-07-2014 at 12:49 AM.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolAmI View Post
I just invested in a good mesh jacket myself. I strongly prefer just a t-shirt but after seeing a friend who's hip and shoulder were eaten deeply during a slide I decided to spring for something cooler than my leather jacket. While still a little warm on a hot day I know I'll probably loose less skin if I ever go for the slide.

I was happily surprised at how little the armor padding shows in the shoulders, elbows, and back, falls naturally in place and I don't even know it's there. While I'm not willing to deal with padding at the knees I'm considering some of those Sliders Kevlar reinforced jeans. I wouldn't wear them most days, just riding to the shop or around town but on the longer rides they're worth considering.

Mend yourself and the bike, then just like a horse ya gotta climb back on and ride.
I've always been leery about just a tee shirt so I was wearing a thick flannel with the sleeves rolled up a bit, saved the skin above the elbow.

I like the idea of those kevlar jeans you mentioned. The pants I had were just shredded and something with a little more meat to it will give me peace of mind in the future.

But like you, a mesh jacket is in my near future.

And i fix her up and the swelling goes down in my knee i'll be back up on my bike. I mean...the season just started here in the North, can't let a little rash get in the way of summer
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 12:47 AM
Chasin' the blacktop

Road Rash heals, chicks dig scars,,,, still, I'd prefer to avoid the whole scar building process. Get the mesh jacket and consider those Slider jeans. They also make Kakis too. $79. expensive compared to regular jeans but a lot tougher when sliding across the road.

[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] The mini-skirt is a very functional article of clothing. With it a woman can run much faster; and because of it she may have too.
North Georgia

Last edited by Spencer1; 06-08-2014 at 12:34 AM.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 01:15 AM
1986 VN750

Garage
x2 on the Sliders brand jeans/cargo pants/khakis. Decent for the price (especially when some other riding 'jeans' cost $150+)

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 06:18 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thtanner View Post
x2 on the Sliders brand jeans/cargo pants/khakis. Decent for the price (especially when some other riding 'jeans' cost $150+)
I know I am being lazy but hey, it's what I do. Did someone post a link to the Sliders Jeans I missed?

Glad to hear you got by fairly easy but I can't help but think a man with the username "Prophet" would have seen this one coming. You must be one of the minor prophets. Just yanking your chain a little but get healed up soon and ride that thing like you stole it

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement