Caution: Check *all* bolts periodically - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
1986 VN750

Garage
Caution: Check *all* bolts periodically

I was swapping my handlebars and the top steering stem nut was loose to the point i could turn it by hand. Talk about an accident waiting to happen.

So I'll use this as a good time to remind everyone to check all the bolts on your bike periodically, even the hard to get to ones!

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 12:24 PM
Old Fart

Garage
I'll second that. If you ride alot, go over your bolts and nuts at least once a month.
I call this my "preflight shake down".... Check tire pressure, examining tires for wear/cuts etc....check steering head play.....then tightness of all bolts, screws nuts,cable adjusters and check battey connections and ground.

Had a friend that went down due to his front axle backing out. I myself almost lost it in a turn because the throttle housing turned instead of the throttle tube.

I always walk around the bike and visually check it before a ride. Especially if its been sitting awhile or parked in a questionable neighborhood.
(Which was likely my freinds above cause, someone evidently tried to steal his front wheel but got scared off before finishing the job)

You depend on all the parts of your bike to work properly, make sure they do as its your own ass on the line here.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 01:30 PM

Garage
I'll third that.
I once found a engine case bolt under the right side frame rail loose....well it was actually completely out, but trapped between the case and the frame.
I was lucky there were no leaks because of it, but getting the both started and threaded in with the engine in the frame was a challenge.

NEVER take anything for granted....I have seen a lot of people lose parts on the road to never be found again....lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement