Friend's son killed in bike accident - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Friend's son killed in bike accident

Tuesday morning around 3:30 AM a friend's 22 year old son was killed in an accident. He was in a residential area and struck a brick mailbox. Don't know how fast he was going or if alcohol was involved. Now my wife, who is opposed to my having a bike to start with, is really fired up again. Last night she and her group of friends were together and apparently the main discussion was how dangerous motorcycles are. I really enjoy riding but I have to maintain marital harmony as well. My wife is not pressuring me to sell the bike (yet) but she worries every time I ride. I don't want to worry her but I sure don't want to sell my bike either. Don't know what to do.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 08:40 AM
2014 KLR 650!

Motorcycles in Head-On Collisions
Crashes involving motorcycles and other vehicles account for 56% of motorcycle accident deaths. In the vast majority of these accidents, the car strikes the motorcycle from the front --78% of the time. (The car strikes the motorcycle from the rear only 5% of the time.) Head-on collisions between a car and motorcycle are often fatal to the motorcyclist.
Cars Making Left-Hand Turns
The single most dangerous situation for motorcyclists occurs when cars are making left-hand turns. These collisions account for 42% of all accidents involving a motorcycle and car. Usually, the turning car strikes the motorcycle when the motorcycle is:
going straight through an intersection
passing the car, or
trying to overtake the car.

SOOOOOOO - my take is that I can greatly reduce my chances of getting struck by heightened situational awareness. I do not hesitate to flash my lights or honk my horn at people. Maybe flashing lights is illegal but I don't care. Has saved me many times.

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 10:09 AM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Sorry to hear about your friend's son.my prayers to the family

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 11:08 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Don't know how old you are or how many consecutive years of riding you have, but any insurance guy will tell you the bigger those numbers are the less likely you are to be hurt or killed in a single vehicle accident, and you're still less likely to be involved in a multi vehicle accident than a younger and less experianced rider.
If you love riding your wife needs to understand there's a thousand different ways for you to die and given the amount of enjoyment your bike allows you it would be a shame to give it up based solely on her fears.

We only really have a short time on this earth to do things that make us happy......subtract- sleeping, working, and other non fun activities .....it's obvious finding something that you really enjoy that you can do is important.

So unless she offers you something you find much better on a continual basis.. ..you should just try and diminish her fears and continue doing what makes you happy....

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 11:24 AM
..have a vulcan good day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsavant View Post
Tuesday morning around 3:30 AM a friend's 22 year old son was killed in an accident. He was in a residential area and struck a brick mailbox. Don't know how fast he was going or if alcohol was involved. Now my wife, who is opposed to my having a bike to start with, is really fired up again. Last night she and her group of friends were together and apparently the main discussion was how dangerous motorcycles are. I really enjoy riding but I have to maintain marital harmony as well. My wife is not pressuring me to sell the bike (yet) but she worries every time I ride. I don't want to worry her but I sure don't want to sell my bike either. Don't know what to do.....
....maybe....relax her with you doing ATGATT....other rider did not ATGATT.

hth

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, KM and Williamtech. I'm 57 and had many hours logged in my younger days. A couple of minor scrapes but that's about it. I'm riding again after about a 25 year layoff. I'm much more careful now but there are more cars on the road and too many drivers looking at their damn phone instead of where they're going. That's what scares me. I always wear a high vis vest and I don't hesitate to flash my lights either. My preferred riding is on the back roads at my own pace. At least the deer don't have iPhones.

Made a sixty mile round trip today just to get lunch. Back roads all the way, only one truck behind me the entire time. I slowed down and let him pass. There was about a three mile stretch in town where there was light traffic. Otherwise it was a great ride. Barely even got to 60 mph.

Funeral tomorrow, maybe things will settle down after that. We didn't know the kid, just his parents.

Please enlighten me, what is ATGATT?

Ride safe, brothers.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 03:27 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
An abbreviation for All The Gear All The Time

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 04:00 PM

There doesn't seem to be much rythm or rhym to it, if your number is up, well that's it. I feel for your freinds as parents, the heart break, of loosing a child, pure pain and misery.
Reminds me of a relative that lost all of his children one after the other to Cancer, then went to the Doctor himself, and was diagnosed terminal. He went out to the shed, sat on a tracktor and, Shot himself! My deepest sympathy to the family and freinds.

Who walks into the Lions Den, and comes out alive?
The Lion!
12 inch apes
1986 A3 series 750
Slash cut stainless mufflers
170 rear tyre
Custom cyane blue paint, wheels included
Relocated regulator rectifier
Solo mod
Stainless washable oil filter
Six pack rack
LED indicators and flasher unit.
Replaced CDI
Coasters
Penrite 10/50
Oil pressure hot at 1000 rpm 20 psi, 4000 rpm 60 psi
Shows 67000 kms
Jets 38 idle Mains 120 changed to 40 idle 135 main.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 07:23 PM

Garage
Just saying,,,,,, if we stopped doing something every time someone got killed life on earth would be over. People chock to death on food, someone dies in a car wreck every 10 seconds, people have a stroke sitting and watching a movie. Life is short, if you love to ride then enjoy it. Prostate cancer may come at any time. Then what?

But,,, I wish comfort for friends family and peace in their hearts.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the kind words. I'll pass it on to the family.

Motorcycle riding does carry a good bit of risk which we all assume when we ride. All we can do is to be careful. It sure is fun though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement