Ride Like A Pro - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Ride Like A Pro

Today, Matt (Glory Rider), Spencer (Fool Am I), and I took the advanced riders course by Ride Like A Pro. It's a police style riding technique that teaches low speed handling of the bike. We all agreed that we benefitted from the course. I certainly gained confidence in such maneuvers as u turns, 360 degrees turns, and obstacle avoidance. Of the three of us, I think Matt did the best. He looked like he'd been doing it a while. Of course, he's also the youngest. I recommend the course to anyone lacking confidence when it comes to low speed handling of the bike. It's all about being safe when riding!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 08:51 PM
..have a vulcan good day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsavant View Post
Today, Matt (Glory Rider), Spencer (Fool Am I), and I took the advanced riders course by Ride Like A Pro. It's a police style riding technique that teaches low speed handling of the bike. We all agreed that we benefitted from the course. I certainly gained confidence in such maneuvers as u turns, 360 degrees turns, and obstacle avoidance. Of the three of us, I think Matt did the best. He looked like he'd been doing it a while. Of course, he's also the youngest. I recommend the course to anyone lacking confidence when it comes to low speed handling of the bike. It's all about being safe when riding!
Good Point !
Great ! ...my bike is down right now, but you illustrated a huge need refreshment in Slow maneuvering technich (sp) (brain fart) which we all could find useful.

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!

Last edited by WilliamTech; 03-16-2014 at 11:05 AM.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 09:45 PM

Sounds like fun.

Can you guys do this now? (hope it's not a rerun) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1iq2ExxmNc

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 09:55 PM
Chasin' the blacktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spockster View Post
Sounds like fun.

Can you guys do this now? (hope it's not a rerun) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1iq2ExxmNc
That's what we were working on. Our course had all of those elements but not all together and a bit more spread out. 3 guys dropped their bikes but fortunately we didn't.

Dropping a bike while learning was kinda expected and the instructor used the opportunities to teach the proper way to pick a bike back up using a new Harley with full fairings and showed how helpful a highway bar could be when picking up a bike.

Lots of good low speed riding techniques but we'd need to practice to get as good as the cop in the video.

[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] The mini-skirt is a very functional article of clothing. With it a woman can run much faster; and because of it she may have too.
North Georgia

Last edited by Spencer1; 03-15-2014 at 10:05 PM.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 10:15 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolAmI View Post
Dropping a bike while learning was kinda expected and the instructor used the opportunities to teach the proper way to pick a bike back up using a new Harley with full fairings ...
Luckily when I dumped mine, I just recently saw the little guy lift the Goldwing on youtube. Right hand on the left grip, back facing the bike, stand up. Easy, even when you have just busted your keester in front of the girl's basketball team.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 10:29 PM
Chasin' the blacktop

Quote:
Luckily when I dumped mine, I just recently saw the little guy lift the Goldwing on youtube. Right hand on the left grip, back facing the bike, stand up. Easy, even when you have just busted your keester in front of the girl's basketball team.
Yep, That's how you do it, If your bike isn't flat on the ground (engine guard) put your rump against the seat facing away from the bike. One hand on the handle bar and the other hand grabbing under the seat. Taking little steps walk backwards allowing your legs push the bike back up.

Without some sort of engine/crash guard and the bike laying flat on the ground you have to do it the hard way and just lift that bike up. After using the 2nd method go find some aspirin or a friend first.

I'm a little more fan of engine guards/crash bars after seeing that demonstration.

[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] The mini-skirt is a very functional article of clothing. With it a woman can run much faster; and because of it she may have too.
North Georgia
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 01:30 AM

Brother Fool....I will never be able to look at you the same way again.....lol....

post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 10:05 AM
Chasin' the blacktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
Brother Fool....I will never be able to look at you the same way again.....lol....
Hey,,, I'm the same guy, but since I'm not 25 anymore using a little smarter way to pick up the bike never hurts, nor the ability to weave tightly down a sidewalk full of beautiful women at the beach.

Did you read how a got GloryRiders bike on the GA Riders thread? Rsavant saw me on it. Now I have 2 bikes to ride.

North Georgia

Last edited by Spencer1; 03-16-2014 at 10:09 AM.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 11:16 PM

I didnt see that....cool !.....

Quote:
nor the ability to weave tightly down a sidewalk full of beautiful women at the beach.
Like the final scene in that "Wild Hogs" movie ?....lolol....the guy screwed up....he shouldda been ridin one handed, and grabbin some "stuff" along the way, lol....

I gotta get to an open parking lot one of these days and "play"....lol...

post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolAmI View Post
Yep, That's how you do it, If your bike isn't flat on the ground (engine guard) put your rump against the seat facing away from the bike. One hand on the handle bar and the other hand grabbing under the seat. Taking little steps walk backwards allowing your legs push the bike back up.

Without some sort of engine/crash guard and the bike laying flat on the ground you have to do it the hard way and just lift that bike up. After using the 2nd method go find some aspirin or a friend first.

I'm a little more fan of engine guards/crash bars after seeing that demonstration.
Let me tell ya... these techniques do NOT work when your bike has been dropped on a loose dirt road u_u the bike just keeps sliding. It sucks!

1985 VN700 unknown mileage (over 33K)

AGM Battery
Iridium spark plugs
NGK wires and caps
Relocated R/R
Marbled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement