GMAX GM54S Modular Helmet and brake light kit - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
2014 KLR 650!

GMAX GM54S Modular Helmet and brake light kit

Just got the helmet and here is my pre-ride assessment and some pics.

The helmet if kinda heavy but I've been wearing a brain bucket so long that I'm used to the light weight of that. The helmet struck me as pretty well made. I got the flat black which I love. The modular part flips up with some pressure but that's what I expect I'll want. It locks securely. So does the face shield. The internal polarized sun shield is the SHT (LUKE SKYWALKER "But with the blast shield down I can't see anything.")

The wireless brake light installed in about 30 minutes helmet and bike. It's very visible and the wireless works,get this, I ran out of land up against the lake at 40 yards and the brake light on the helmet STILL WORKED FROM THE BIKE (my girlfriend was at the brake). So I'm just guessing this thing works 50 YARDS from your bike. So if you are thrown off your bike and down a gulley, someone up top can key the brake and it will light you up so they can find you.

Pics are kind of washed out sorry.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World

Last edited by Goofyfoot2001; 02-24-2014 at 06:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 07:04 PM
Chasin' the blacktop

Pretty cool. I prefer a modular helmet myself and jut leave the front flipped up in hot weather. Takes a bit of getting used to but safer and less wind on the eyes and bugs in the teeth.

[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] The mini-skirt is a very functional article of clothing. With it a woman can run much faster; and because of it she may have too.
North Georgia
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
2014 KLR 650!

Just got back from a somewhat chilly ride. The helmet is comfortable though it's going to take some getting used to. I purchased the XL and glad I did. My brain bucket is a medium and if I had ordered a L in this helmet it would have been too tight. With a balaclava in the winter it would have been no joy.

I can't say if it was loud or not but going to say yes, a little. I'm hearing all different sounds now that my ears are covered with more than just padding like in my half helmet.

Down side, I ride faster. Lot faster. I feel more invincible and that's not a good thing. I think it's because I feel more caged.

Oh, the chin strap seems like it's a little too far back toward my throat if I don't make a conscious effort to put the helmet in the proper position. This is fact is my ONLY complaint.

Great airflow, like I said, it was chilly and I felt all of it. I wish I had put on a neck tube thingy.

Two thumbs up and a great buy for under $130

ONE more thing, I wish I could get that GMAX logo thing off the front :-)

2014 Kawasaki KLR 650
Back to the Kawa World

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 09:39 PM
Dr. Vulcanstein

Yeah the modulars are a bit heavier ,think because of the extra mechanisms and sun visor. Also on the noisy side I believe for the same reasons, but they sure are great if you do a lot of town and highway riding on the same trip. Here is mine.... http://www.ebay.com/itm/VCAN-V210B-M...30760490713%26

.... - " " - .
..( ___/\ /))
.( l vv/ )(
.) \ O/ )((
..(( .)(. )\ \
.....) . ( / /
.....( )
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 08:34 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolAmI View Post
Pretty cool. I prefer a modular helmet myself and jut leave the front flipped up in hot weather. Takes a bit of getting used to but safer and less wind on the eyes and bugs in the teeth.
Am sure I mentioned this before, but most makers of modular helmets warn that you should not ride your bike with the chinbar up....(something about creatimg a point of leverage that can snap your neck.. )

There are a few that are designed to be worn "open face", that have the chinbar rotate all the way to the back of the helmet. (Shark makes one like this)

I think if you like the wind on your face when it's hot, you should just wear a regular open face helmet....

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 11:05 AM
Dr. Vulcanstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Am sure I mentioned this before, but most makers of modular helmets warn that you should not ride your bike with the chinbar up....(something about creatimg a point of leverage that can snap your neck.. )

There are a few that are designed to be worn "open face", that have the chinbar rotate all the way to the back of the helmet. (Shark makes one like this)

I think if you like the wind on your face when it's hot, you should just wear a regular open face helmet....
I've heard this as well, I just lift the lid at a stop light for some fresh air, or to spit tobacco, then flip it back down. Chicks dig it and wanna love me long time.

.... - " " - .
..( ___/\ /))
.( l vv/ )(
.) \ O/ )((
..(( .)(. )\ \
.....) . ( / /
.....( )
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 11:24 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Yes, and I'm waiting for one that has an electric/hydrolic front that raises or lowers with a push of a handlebar mounted button. With an electrochromic shield that darkens or lightens via the button next to it....

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 11:48 AM

I literally just bought this exact same helmet last week. Color and everything. Your assessment is spot on. It's a tad heavy and the chin strap is too far back. Should have checked Amazon... I paid $160 for mine at motorcycle-superstore.com.

The one design flaw that stands out to me is the way you lower and raise the sun visor. Being on the top of the helmet is inconvenient and difficult to find at times. I must look pretty silly going down the road while swatting at my head trying to find that damn lever. My wife's modular has a red button on the left side of the chin to bring it down and it's much easier to use while on the bike.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 11:50 AM
Dr. Vulcanstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotQuestions View Post
I literally just bought this exact same helmet last week. Color and everything. Your assessment is spot on. It's a tad heavy and the chin strap is too far back. Should have checked Amazon... I paid $160 for mine at motorcycle-superstore.com.

The one design flaw that stands out to me is the way you lower and raise the sun visor. Being on the top of the helmet is inconvenient and difficult to find at times. I must look pretty silly going down the road while swatting at my head trying to find that damn lever. My wife's modular has a red button on the left side of the chin to bring it down and it's much easier to use while on the bike.
I got used to the location of my tab, its where my left ear is. Use muscle memory like I'm going to its my ear and boom there's the tab.

.... - " " - .
..( ___/\ /))
.( l vv/ )(
.) \ O/ )((
..(( .)(. )\ \
.....) . ( / /
.....( )
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 03:55 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
I have the same helmet in silver ,more of a grey actually,the ample airflow is what I really liked about it. Do you find you are hearing a lot of noises from your bike you had never heard before? That means it is quieter than what you were wearing before. It has a bunch of vents you can open and close to regulate the amount of air coming through. My only complaint is the same one someone already mentioned, the inner shield lever. Here is a piece of advice if you intend to flip the front up make sure the dark inner visor is where you want it . you can't reach the slide with the front up. You'll like it. I got mine from Amazon for near the same price you got yours for. I tried them on at a bike shop that wanted around 40% more and when I found the right size went shopping online.

It will loosen up a little as the padding conforms to your head and face so don't worry if it is a little tight right now. I didn't opt for the brake light ,I just run the led taillight that came in it.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement