Fall road dangers - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Fall road dangers

I have been on my bike as much as possible.This is my favorite time of year for riding ,cool temps and beautiful scenery abounds.

The flip side of this is road condition and animal activity.Ge very careful from now till the leaves are all off of the trees.The leaves are starting to fall and when you add a little moisture they are slick as glass.When you are out on your favorite back roads enjoying the Fall foliage,be careful.Ad to the leaves the walnuts ,acorns and other mast from the nut bearing trees and it can get exciting...real quick.have you ever been leaned over in a turn and hit some thing round about golf ball sized with your front wheel,that is how walnuts feel when you run over one.Time to slow down a little and expect hidden dangers.

Now on to the animals,deer are always on a bikers mind but this time of the year they are not nearly as nocturnal as during the summer months. Fall is ,looking for love time for deer,commonly referred to as the rut. The bucks are chasing does and pay little or no attention to anything else and will chase a doe right out in front of you and if you are fortunate to miss her be careful,a buck very well may be in hot pursuit and actually run into you. Definitely not a desirable situation, Squirrels,crazy little critters,they are busy carrying nuts and burying them or storing them for winter. If you have ever hit one ,you know they are squishy greasy little critters and totally unpredictable as well. I believe some have a death wish and want to make someone else out with them.Wild Turkeys,here is one that will avoid you if it can but at this time of the year they gather up into their flocks for the winter and if you see one crossing the road look around ,there are more,Do I need to tell you what happens when you hit a close to 20 pound bird? I also forgot to mention Elk and Moose for those of you have those native to your area.They are huge and will stop a small car,you don't want to hit one

This is a great time of the year to be out riding,but it pays to stay on your toes even more than usual.I will do my part to try to shoot as many of these little bags of fast food that we have in my neck of the woods,but I am just one guy and I won't make a dent in the population.

Have a great Fall season and be careful out there.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 12:36 PM
Jack of all trades

Always a good reminder. Even though I live in the suburbs we still have an extensive park system by my house. There are all kinds of nice roads in there to ride but there are also deer, opossum, raccoons, and even coyotes in there. They sometimes venture up and across main roads in the mornings and evenings. I'm always on the lookout for those buggers.

2003 vn750
1988 Pontiac Trans Am (project/driver)
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 01:36 PM
Chasin' the blacktop

Denny, love the "little bags of fast food" description. Personally I call the armadillos and possums "speed bumps"

[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] The mini-skirt is a very functional article of clothing. With it a woman can run much faster; and because of it she may have too.
North Georgia

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 03:30 PM

I actually "aim" for certain critters.....fresh roadkill kicks azz....

....we got a lot of black walnut trees in NY/NJ/PA....theyre killers....hard as a rock, and a bit larger than a golf ball....PITA !

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 03:47 PM
Ndr

Thanks for the reminder Denny.

I may be a city boy, but we are surrounded by parks and heavily wooded areas all over the place here. It's not uncommon to see deer and smaller around here. I am glad that there are no elk and moose around these parts though.

......I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere then in any city on earth.

*2014 VN900 Custom (16,200 miles and counting)
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 03:58 PM

I had to come to a complete stop earlier this week as a flock of turkeys crossed the road. Little buggers were in no big hurry and I could of kicked any one of them square in the head. They finally cleared the road and I got on my way, just a little happier than I was a few minutes before.

If I ever see a moose on one of my rides, I am pulling over right away, laying down in the grass and waiting till I awake from my dream before riding on!
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 06:26 PM

Garage
Thanks for the reminder Denny!

Been seeing a lot of deer and skunk lately....squirrels are always abundant here.

There is a moose in my neighborhood, but luckily for me she walks to work after I am already out of the area.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-22-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
There is a moose in my neighborhood, but luckily for me she walks to work after I am already out of the area
Is her name Bertha ?....Bertha Butt ?....one of the Butt sisters ?.....heh heh...old timers will know what Im talkin about....a lil "funk"....

Hint...."Troglodyte"....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCV6paTXyCU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LQJYgs1sxc

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 10:17 PM
Bearcat

I second that! I came around the corner a few weeks ago and 2 does we're standing on the side of the road. One hit the woods and the outher took off running up the road in front of me. I slowed way down and got over. About the time I started to go around her she turned into the bike. I guess the deer freaked out and tryed to go the outher way right after it turned tword me. I watched her go down on the black top in my right mirror. Deer was fine. She got up and made a beeline for the woods.

Last year I had another close call I was rolling 70 on a 2 lane highway right after the edge of dark. No lights in sight from any outher people on the road. Had my high beams and fog lights on when I saw her. A big doe standing in the left lane. She crossed right in front of me. I locked the front tire as that was the only brake I could get to in time. I kept her straight and upright. Got slowed down just enuf, the doe was standing in the right tire track of my lane and I passed her in the left track at 60 ish.

Eather time could have ended badly but if I had been in a cage I would have creamed both deer. More than once rolling 2 wheels has saved my bacon. Moral of the story, stay alert.

Keep her rubber side down.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 08:54 PM

Im surprised nobody mentioned leaves....especially on the back roads, where car traffic dont blow em off.....wet leaves are as bad as ice....but even dry leaves, when freshly fallen, can be slick as hell....I almost lost a buddy once on an autumn ride....Norton 750....well, he made it after a trip into the woods and cartwheels, lol....but then lost it in the jungles of The Nam....RIP "D"....every time I go around that curve I say a prayer....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement