Kids as Passengers - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Kids as Passengers

I just read gcextreme's post about his coworkers crash. We all hope for his full recovery.
My 12 year old son likes to ride on the bike with me. He has been riding with me for two years. My wife doesn't like it at all when he rides. A few weeks ago, during a club ride in our area, a female passenger was thrown off when the driver swerved to miss an animal in the road and hit the curb. It was low speed and I don't know if the bike even went down. Unfortunately she hit her face on a guard rail and although she is recovering, it will take a very long time. Four years ago a lady fell off the bike in a similar incident a couple miles from our house and was killed buy following traffic.
My question is, am I a fool for having him on the bike or is it relatively safe if done carefully? I would like everyone's opinion.

I shouldn't have to press 1 for English

1994 VN 750
1968 Honda 305 Hawk Owned for 40 yrs

Bikes in the past:
1974 Kaw 900
1976 Kaw 900
Both bought new
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 07:01 PM

I have a 7 year old and an 11 year old. They both love riding with me. Safe? Heck no!! Riding a motorcycle is fraught with danger...

When my kids ride with me they wear full face helmets and I really only ride the around the neighborhood or on very low traffic back roads. They could still get horribly maimed, but I figure it's a risk I am comfortable with. Then again...I'm willing to jump out of an airplane so I might not be the best person to talk about acceptable risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyPilot View Post
Leave it to me to NOT be fond of something then end up banging it.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 07:39 PM
Dr. Vulcanstein

Safe? No! Would I do it? Probably not. I'll let my nephews ride with me (6&11) but I don't go out of my neighbourhood, and don't go over 20mph. Do I think it is wrong or look down on others for it? Not at all.

.... - " " - .
..( ___/\ /))
.( l vv/ )(
.) \ O/ )((
..(( .)(. )\ \
.....) . ( / /
.....( )

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 08:02 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Have him on the bike and ride safe and defensively. JMO

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier

Last edited by JM2001; 07-11-2013 at 08:11 PM.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 08:56 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Going up and down your street at low speed is one thing....going for a ride on public roads and traffic at posted speeds is another. I'd never give a minor a ride except for that slow ride down my street. And they would have to have a helmet ,gloves, etc and reach the footpegs.

To me, once they are old enough to make their own decisions, can leagally drive themselves, they can choose to go on an extended ride with me.

Ask yourself if your son got seriously hurt, or killed, whose fault it would be? Could you live with it? Could your wife live with you?

I wouldn't take the risk myself. Once my daughter was old enough to make her own choice as an adult, and after explaining the danger that exsists, I finally gave her a ride on my bike.

Just my view on this....but giving a ride to any minor, yours or someone else's, is sitting on the edge of "child endangerment".......

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 07-11-2013 at 08:59 PM.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 09:08 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Going up and down your street at low speed is one thing....going for a ride on public roads and traffic at posted speeds is another. I'd never give a minor a ride except for that slow ride down my street. And they would have to have a helmet ,gloves, etc and reach the footpegs.

To me, once they are old enough to make their own decisions, can leagally drive themselves, they can choose to go on an extended ride with me.

Ask yourself if your son got seriously hurt, or killed, whose fault it would be? Could you live with it? Could your wife live with you?

I wouldn't take the risk myself. Once my daughter was old enough to make her own choice as an adult, and after explaining the danger that exsists, I finally gave her a ride on my bike.

Just my view on this....but giving a ride to any minor, yours or someone else's, is sitting on the edge of "child endangerment".......
KM, Are you going to place every kid in bubble wrap and chain them inside? Aren't there risks in taking a kid in a car, on a snowmobile, on a boat, in a canoe,or on a plane? The OP's son wants to enjoy quality time with his dad. Kids more than ever need to get outside and more importantly spend time with their parents.

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post

I really need to question your thoughts on how taking a kid on a bike can be classified as borderline child endangerment. I suppose taking them in a car is the same thing??

Kenny

Merc
2000 Vulcan Drifter 800
Roadhouse classic 2 > 1 exhaust
Okie Smokie intake config
Changed jets
52K miles or so, always going up
Corbin Seat
Painted flat black winter '12
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 09:24 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM2001 View Post
KM, Are you going to place every kid in bubble wrap and chain them inside? Aren't there risks in taking a kid in a car, on a snowmobile, on a boat, in a canoe,or on a plane? The OP's son wants to enjoy quality time with his dad. Kids more than ever need to get outside and more importantly spend time with their parents.
I said that's "my view" on it. Everyone gets to make their own choice here....I thought the point of posting was asking his others here felt about it.
To quote his last line:
"I would like everyone's opinion"

I gave mine. I was answering his question, not asking for your view of it...

Want to spend time with your kid? Do something they like to do with them, not something YOU like to do.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 09:27 PM

My first ride on a motorcycle, I was 6, on the back of my Dad's best friend's Honda. That was 42 years ago and I still remember it fondly. I've loved motorcycles every since. Back roads with a helmet on, I see no problem. Death will come to us all one day or another. If this is something your child likes and you are confortable with it....go for it.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 09:38 PM
Just a regular guy

Yes its dangerous... so is almost everything. Have I done it? No.... Not yet... I probably will at some point. It'll be a very careful and controlled thing.

I still remember my first ride on a friend of my mom's bike... I love that memory.

"Pain is weakness leaving my mouth! *&%^$ that hurt!"

Promo code for 10% off at leatherup.com..... 55634

===2001 Vn750====
New Chrome agm battery
Ears shaved
Coastered
Sportster pipes
R/R relocated
12v adapter installed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement