Emergency kits and contents! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Emergency kits and contents!

I've always liked to be as self sufficient as possible and I'm putting together my emergency kit to live in my saddlebag. Contents so far: military grade compact IFAK style first aid kit, rain gear, tool kit (to be assembled, definitely open to suggestions there), cable lock for helmets, chapstick, knife and flashlight, and of course insurance and registration. Bear in mind I'm a daily bike commuter.

What lives on your bike for the unforeseen? Any suggestions for tools or gear that may not be so obvious to some? Spare parts? Special tools? Good luck charms?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 12:58 AM
..have a vulcan good day!

Metro Commuters would carry less / different items.
Colledge Students might/would carry different items.
As a rural / twistee back road rider, I carry the following:
My put together kit includes:

Hand Gun often in Vest
Spare Ignition Key (hidden)
Spare Fuses in Junction/Fuse Box
A Cheap Multi-Meter w/Test Leads
Riding Gloves
Long Nose pliers
#2 Phillips Screw Driver
Med. Tip Flat Screwdriver
Razor Knife
Electrical Tape
After Market (Purchased) MC Toolkit ...which includes:
8, 10, 11, 12, & 14 mm six point sockets - 1/4" Drive with(new design) universal breaker bar...added Double Open End 8/9mm, 10/11mm, 12/14mm Wrenches, plus a 13mm Box/Open end wrench.
Cargo Net (Walmart Bicycle dept.)
Couple of Bungie cords
Ink Pen & Marker w/ Notepad
Tampax (survival Fire starter) with Waterproof Matches/Matchbox
Extra cig. Lighter (Bic)
Couple Bottles of Water
Scrap Electrical Wire ? 36" ?
I need to add a roll of Duct Tape !
I need to add Tire Inflation equipment !
No RainGear as of yet

This once pretty much filled my Tank Bag...now carried in one SaddleBag. When needed, I also have a backpack which I strap onto SissyBar.
Oh yeah, I have added my old (chipped tooth) Damper/Balance Gear for a kickstand plate (Is that what are they called ? ?)

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!

Last edited by WilliamTech; 05-05-2013 at 07:50 PM.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 02:14 AM
Prowling Tiger

With all that shoved into your saddlebags, I doubt there's room for anything else. Might as well call them safety bags or the bags with emergency gear I hope I never have to use but wish I had room for other stuff bags.

Guess I should add that I don't carry anything more than the tool kit and manual with me. If the bike breaks down, then roadside assistance will take care of the rest.

I only understand what I don't understand.

Last edited by blazblu82; 05-04-2013 at 02:18 AM.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 02:22 AM
..have a vulcan good day!

Yeah, I carry a AAA card as well.

Quote:
Might as well call them safety bags or the bags with emergency gear I hope I never have to use but wish I had room for other stuff bags.
My MY, aren't you fired up tonite !

Note: List may appear long, but actual space needed is minimal....and the weight < /= your twelve pack.

Also, I have not had the need to carry anything else ! (other stuff)

What "other" stuff might you need to carry ? Coats, Jackets, Work Clothes ?

Last edited by WilliamTech; 05-04-2013 at 12:41 PM.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazblu82 View Post
With all that shoved into your saddlebags, I doubt there's room for anything else. Might as well call them safety bags or the bags with emergency gear I hope I never have to use but wish I had room for other stuff bags.

Guess I should add that I don't carry anything more than the tool kit and manual with me. If the bike breaks down, then roadside assistance will take care of the rest.
LOL well I have some pretty big saddlebags. So far I'm just missing the tool kit and one bag is still completely empty. I also have a tank bag and a riding backpack as luggage options, so if I want to be I can be quite the pack mule. I'm hoping to piece together a tool kit small enough to fit in the sissy bar compartment.

Size and weight constraints are definitely a biggie, but since I ride every day stuff like the rain gear is nice to have on hand. As far as the "other" category goes I'm just curious what interesting thing find themselves in people's packs that may not be so obvious to the rest of us. For example some people carry weapons (which I wish was available to me here in Maryland, but nope...) and doing so on a motorcycle has its own set of gear-related concerns.

Last edited by bluguitar89; 05-04-2013 at 12:36 PM.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 04:22 PM

I've got the usual tool kit, knife, duct tape, tire plugs, insurance and manual, 2 flares, etc. etc. However, I do have a jump start pack that also has an air compressor on it, electrical plug in, cig battery plug in, flashlight, jumper cables, etc. I will take it with me on longer trips.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 08:22 PM

Baling wire
Duct tape
ViseGrips
BIG flat screwdriver
Churchkey
Condom
Hammer
Orange surveyors ribbon
8 oz of quality hooch (for the engine, natch)
Metric dogbone wrench

And yes, I AM serious....

Last edited by Wolfie; 05-04-2013 at 08:24 PM.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
Baling wire
Duct tape
ViseGrips
BIG flat screwdriver
Churchkey
Condom
Hammer
Orange surveyors ribbon
8 oz of quality hooch (for the engine, natch)
Metric dogbone wrench

And yes, I AM serious....
Ok, gotta ask about a couple of those. By hooch I assume you mean whiskey. Forgive my ignorance, but what in the heck does that do for the your motor?

Also, is there a mechanical use for a condom I'm unaware of or is that for personal use? Same kinda goes for the churchkey...
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 09:25 PM

By hooch, I mean any high alcohol booze/shine...it can be used to disinfect a wound, and does wonders in the gas tank for contaminated fuel (a good part of SeaFoam is alcohol)...it binds with water and can help with a bad tankful from Bumfuk, USA when you get stuck in Upper Bumfuk...

A condom can be used to wrap a broken low pressure line...also, can be used for first aid...cut the tip off and its a great sheath for a badly cut finger.

And you ALWAYS cary a churchkey....you can take the tops and bottoms off cans with it to patch an exhaust, use it as a pry tool or even a screwdriver. I have one on my main Keychain.

Last edited by Wolfie; 05-04-2013 at 09:26 PM. Reason: typo
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 03:49 PM
Old Fart

Garage
A gun is a personal choice of course. I rarely take my gun on my commute to work and back.

The stock tool kit or something simular I just consider an item that always goes with the bike (as they sold the bike with one) but see no reason to carry more tools than that unless your are traveling great distances in rural areas.

Yes, I always carry a bottle/can/wine bottle opener too. Don't matter if its bike related, it's just proven a good idea for me to have one.

I always carry a knife....(duh) and the only other items I see a need for is my cell phone and credit card.

Flares,bailing wire, duct tape, multitesters, etc....that's stuff you take if you are touring the whole damn country.....not just going to work.

If you think you need that much stuff, you just have a much different look out on what riding a bike is about than I do.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement