Boot problem - skinny legs - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Boot problem - skinny legs

I need some advice on my boot situation.

I bought a nice pair of Xelement boots. Mid-calf length(height?), Velcro, zippers, shin guards, the whole 9 yards.

Well, my problem is that a) I have skinny legs and b) the soles are too thick.

a)My legs are so skinny I have to wear 2 big pairs of tube socks so that my ankle/calf isnít swallowed up by the boot. It ďfitsĒ on my foot, but the rim of the boot rubs my calves raw if I donít have big socks on, because thereís so much room. I have the Velcro strapped as tight as I can make it. My leg is like a straw flopping around in a cup with no lid. My feet get so hot and sweaty that itís just not comfortable to wear all day.

b)The other problem is that the soles are so thick that I canít feel the brake pedal at ALL. The shifter is OK, but canít really feel it either.

I wore some jungle/army boots that fit really tight and well, and it was sooo nice to ride and be able to FEEL the bike better. The only problem is that the jungle boots have virtually no protection (no padding, just thin canvas).

Does anyone else have this problem, or have any suggestions?

If anyone wants to buy them, I'm probably going to sell them soon and find something else. Only worn for like 2 weeks. I paid 100 + shipping.

\m/ Jaymz \m/
SOLD! 1999 Vulcan 750 | Pics (bought 3/29/2013 with 5657 miles)
Upgrades: MF/AGM Battery|Kaw F&S Luggage Rack|Kaw F&S Windshield|NGK Iridium plugs DPR7E1X-9|Kaw F&S Saddlebag Supports & Turn Signal Relocators|River Road saddlebags
Fixes: Repainted battery cage|Replaced bent clutch lever|Replaced left headlight bracket|Splines lubed and new tires @ 6,000mi.|Sold @ 6320 miles on 10/28/2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 02:59 PM

What size did you get? Is the size correct compared to other shoes?

1985 VN700 unknown mileage (over 33K)

AGM Battery
Iridium spark plugs
NGK wires and caps
Relocated R/R
Marbled
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Size 12. My sneakers are always 13, but boots are anywhere from 11-13, depending on the boot. The "fit" directly around my foot feels pretty decent, it's just from ankle up to calf, it's too big. I have that problem with a LOT of boots. I can't wear regular cowboy boots because they flop back and forth and just rub my calves terribly. My jungle boots are cinched ALL the way up with the laces, both sides touching where the laces cross.

\m/ Jaymz \m/
Upgrades: MF/AGM Battery|Kaw F&S Luggage Rack|Kaw F&S Windshield|NGK Iridium plugs DPR7E1X-9|Kaw F&S Saddlebag Supports & Turn Signal Relocators|River Road saddlebags
Fixes: Repainted battery cage|Replaced bent clutch lever|Replaced left headlight bracket|Splines lubed and new tires @ 6,000mi.|Sold @ 6320 miles on 10/28/2013

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 03:15 PM
Prowling Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceal View Post
What size did you get? Is the size correct compared to other shoes?
I agree, I think you bought too large a boot. There should be minimal foot movement when sizing for boots. I bought a pair of Red Wings which were a half size too large and they rubbed the back of ankle raw. Exchanged for a smaller size and never had the issue again. The only time a boot needs to be bigger is if you are getter boots to fit over your shoes.

Buying online is difficult because places like Letherup.com tries to make their fitting as universal as possible.

I only understand what I don't understand.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 03:16 PM

You could try 80's style leg warmers or tuck your pants legs in to provide some more diameter to your legs. Neither are going to really have that badass cool biker look though.

I wear Bates Enforcers with heavy duty D ickies work socks. The boots lace, zip and have a little velcro piece at the top. Not only are they comfortable to wear on the bike and are oil/slip resistant, but they are very comfortable to wear all day long. I tied the laces as tightly as they would go using a ladder lacing pattern. Then when I put them on or take them off, I just use the zipper.

I have that problem with some cowboy boots, but I have extra long socks with special padding in just the right places for my roach stompers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyPilot View Post
Leave it to me to NOT be fond of something then end up banging it.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 03:19 PM
Prowling Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviate View Post
You could try 80's style leg warmers or tuck your pants legs in to provide some more diameter to your legs. Neither are going to really have that badass cool biker look though.
I wear Bates Enforcers with heavy duty D ickies work socks. The boots lace, zip and have a little velcro piece at the top. Not only are they comfortable to wear on the bike and are oil/slip resistant, but they are very comfortable to wear all day long. I tied the laces as tightly as they would go using a ladder lacing pattern. Then when I put them on or take them off, I just use the zipper.

I have that problem with some cowboy boots, but I have extra long socks with special padding in just the right places for my roach stompers.
Especially if those leg warmers are neon pink!

I only understand what I don't understand.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

My toe is literally as tight as I can go before it will hurt, so if I do any smaller, my foot won't fit.

Plus, even if I get my ankle to fit better (thicker socks, whatever...) that still doesn't fix the problem of not feeling the brake. Do you think that will get better as I break the boot in more, or is that a problem with thick soles?

\m/ Jaymz \m/

Last edited by davidfite1978; 05-02-2013 at 04:55 PM.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 04:56 PM

My stepdad wears those silly harley boots. I don't understand. I wear my vans most of the time, work boots if I'm going to work, and my old desert tan ACU boots if we're going riding and it's cool out.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 05:09 PM

I wasn't implying you bought the wrong size, you said you might sell them so I wanted to know the size. My current boots are falling apart lol. But they're too big for me, I only use size 9.5 shoes.

1985 VN700 unknown mileage (over 33K)

AGM Battery
Iridium spark plugs
NGK wires and caps
Relocated R/R
Marbled
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 05:29 PM
Old Fart

Garage
I would never wear a boot or shoe on the bike that I wasn't comfortable wearing when I'm off the bike. I don't care for boots that go more than an inch or two above the ankle.....anymore.

They make some real nice boots now that are as comfortable as a running shoe that are specifically made for motorcyclists.

If your uncomfortable , you need to find something that
works. Boots can be flexible and still be sturdy.

Do a search for - Icon Tarmac 2
Or
Speed and Strength Speed Shop Boots

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement