MSF course - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

MSF course

Well I officially have my motorcycle license as of 10 minutes ago. Completed the MSF course this weekend and just got back from the courthouse to get my license.

There were riders with 30 years experience and riders (like me) with 0 experience, and the class was helpful for everyone. I highly recommend taking the course if you haven't before. Well worth 100 bucks. I may even take it again whenever I convince my cousin to get a bike.

If anyone has any questions about the MSF course in general let me know while it's fresh in my memory...

\m/ Jaymz \m/
SOLD! 1999 Vulcan 750 | Pics (bought 3/29/2013 with 5657 miles)
Upgrades: MF/AGM Battery|Kaw F&S Luggage Rack|Kaw F&S Windshield|NGK Iridium plugs DPR7E1X-9|Kaw F&S Saddlebag Supports & Turn Signal Relocators|River Road saddlebags
Fixes: Repainted battery cage|Replaced bent clutch lever|Replaced left headlight bracket|Splines lubed and new tires @ 6,000mi.|Sold @ 6320 miles on 10/28/2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Only question I have is how did you get off so cheap??? All the MSF courses around me are 200-240...

but grats on the course, endorsement and money savings!
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 12:37 PM
Prowling Tiger

Cool. This will prolly get moved to safety section...

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 01:19 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfite1978 View Post
Well I officially have my motorcycle license as of 10 minutes ago. Completed the MSF course this weekend and just got back from the courthouse to get my license.

There were riders with 30 years experience and riders (like me) with 0 experience, and the class was helpful for everyone. I highly recommend taking the course if you haven't before. Well worth 100 bucks. I may even take it again whenever I convince my cousin to get a bike.

If anyone has any questions about the MSF course in general let me know while it's fresh in my memory...
I guess you are ready to ride a little when I come down that way now,huh? I'll give you a heads up when I head that way.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, it's only 100 bucks in KY for some reason. One guy was there from Ohio, and he had to pay 150 I think.

Denny - I'll be ready (hopefully...). Going to start puttin' around the block this week. Definitely going to take my time and build up my confidence/skills before I head out too quick.

\m/ Jaymz \m/
SOLD! 1999 Vulcan 750 | Pics (bought 3/29/2013 with 5657 miles)
Upgrades: MF/AGM Battery|Kaw F&S Luggage Rack|Kaw F&S Windshield|NGK Iridium plugs DPR7E1X-9|Kaw F&S Saddlebag Supports & Turn Signal Relocators|River Road saddlebags
Fixes: Repainted battery cage|Replaced bent clutch lever|Replaced left headlight bracket|Splines lubed and new tires @ 6,000mi.|Sold @ 6320 miles on 10/28/2013
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 02:26 PM

They also offer an advanced course, just a one-day course and you use your own bike. All driving, no classroom time.

2003 VN 750 "T'Pol"
30k miles
New stator
R/R relocated
Memphis Shades windshield
Custom mirrors
Iridium plugs
Highway pegs
VN750.com radiator cover
Engine guard
Luggage Rack
Jardine slash-cut exhaust
Turn signals relocated
Ram GPS mount
12 volt power outlet
Airhawk II seat cushion
Floor boards
Tank bib
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 02:54 PM

Hey David, I took lessons before riding. I paid 350 dollars for three months at a place called Coopers Cycle Ranch (as many times as I wanted to go) during the week after work). I was one of those guys who was there in the rain with a slicker on. I bought my VN750 without having a licence or any experience at all riding. In addition, each Sunday for three months there was a class where they talked about and demonstrated safety, equipment, and etc. When you were done all of your classes on the schools paved course they gave you a bike to take the test. Once you passed the test you had to complete the road portion of the training.

David, I cannot stress enough the importance of taking lessons. I would love to go back and get a refresher. There's so many things they tell you you'll never forget. There was a guy in one of my classes who stated he wanted to take lessons to get a refresher. Shortly after we were on the course and he was dragging his feet on the ground after the instructor told us to keep our feet up as long as possible. He said that's the way he does it...So, he didn't change. He had plenty of bad habits.

A buddy of mine took his test last year, never practiced but passed the test. He bought a bike and has been going to a parking lot to practice. I asked him what he was practicing and he said driving around. Yikes!

I remember during lessons they made you drive a motorcycle at an ungodly slow speed. Turning properly at slow speeds was also very hard. Picture those cops on their big bikes making crazy tight turns on a very small course while riding their cruisers. There's a technique for this and it may get you out of a very tuf situation if your about to be rear ended or need to get out of the way under control. Sorry, I believe you really need to be that good. I'm not, that's why I need to get more of those lessons.

Brother, good luck with your new bike. It's an amazing high while your senses are being bombarded as you ride. I'm happiest when I'm on my bike.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 08:55 PM

$240 here in California. My class happened to be taught by women and there were several women in the class. Sadly 2 didn't make it (1 had tried multiple times). Another woman in the class was kind of given a "pass".
They were telling the women to come back and take the scooter class instead. Because the scooters are 250cc they qualify as motorcycles in California but you don't have to shift. Shifting was a big issue for a couple of them. Personally I just wanted to go faster.

-Robert
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 09:23 PM
'03 VN750 "Rosie"

I'm signed up for the Riders Edge experienced rider course this Friday. Looking forward to it, as I never had a beginner course. Just taught myself when I was 18. Then read David Hough and Lee Parks about a year ago.

'03 VN750 "Rosie"
Purchased in June 15, 2010
Windshield
Lubed Splines
Lubed and Adjusted Clutch Cable, Throttle Cables.
Relocated Voltage Regulator
Brakes Bled
Luggage Rack
Lazy Rider Bag
Leather Saddle Bags
Legitimate Title!! (finally!) Aug 30, 2010
New AGM Interstate Battery Sept 15, 2012

2008 Hyosung GV250 (sold!)
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfite1978 View Post
...Going to start puttin' around the block this week. Definitely going to take my time and build up my confidence/skills before I head out too quick.
Congratulations David.

I spent a lot of time riding around in empty parking lots to practice the tight turns (among other things).

Take your time and be smart about it - the comfort comes along. Don't get too courageous before you're ready.

Have fun

Old Bike: 2006 VN750 - Sold

Current Bike: 2007 Yamaha V-Star 1300 Tourer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement