Seeing is believing,I have had a change of heart - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Seeing is believing,I have had a change of heart

This is kinda motorcycle related since it involves a head injury.Most of you that know me, Know I usually don't wear a helmet.I still don't think it should be law mandated .

A good friend of mine was in a logging accident 13 days ago and had a head injury to the top front part of his head.No one knows or is telling exactly what happened.The thing is I went to visit him a couple of times and to see him in the shape he is in although he is starting to recover and the medical team thinks he will have complete recovery was a sharp wake up call to me.

I will now try to remember to wear my helmet all the time,old habits are hard to break,but seeing what his family has been through,and not by any choice he made,makes me not want to put my family through all the pain,sorrow and fear they have had to endure.

My new Helmet is supposed to arrive today.It is still a halfie,but it is not a cheapie,I had another helmet that I wore when I had to or felt like it but it isn't of very good quality.

I am not on a crusade her to change anyone's mind,but I have changed mine.I am going to wear this one and I will probably buy a Modular or another FF a little later on.I just need to wear one a few miles before a sink a couple hundred dollars more into another one I wouldn't wear.

There is a local shop with a pretty good selection that will let me wear one on the bike in real world conditions so I can choose one I will wear, instead of just strapping it on the bike.

I guess sight will cure the blind .Head trauma is a scary thing. Not so much to me but because of the effects it would have on family and friends.I don't want to put anyone through that.

Not that I didn't already know it but like I said in the title.Seeing is believing.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X

Last edited by denny6006; 03-13-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 10:44 AM

I pulled up next to a guy and his girl on a harley the other day. I was wearing my riding pants, padded jacket, full face helmet, gloves, riding boots and he was wearing a short sleeve shirt and jeans. His girl was pretty sweet looking but wearing jeans and a riding jacket. Both had on a shorty.
There are so many factors to surviving an accident intact. I'd love to know the percentage which goes to wearing proper gear. I'll continue to gear up. Like your experience with your friend, I had one that I graduated with who was sitting on his best friends hood. His best friend taped the accelerator fooling around, this threw my friend off balance and he fell off the car and hit his head. he died three weeks later from head trauma. You're right denny, these things affect a lot of people.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 11:07 AM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

you're denny6006, sometimes that is what it takes for some people to realize things. when things happen that really "hit home" or are right in your face, people really "see" things for what they are.

you know me denny6006, and you know that I always wear my helmet. I've got my old helmet to prove why I do always wear one! lol

but like you too. I do not believe it should be a law. it should be a riders choice. but if all the riders thought like you (now) and I. there would be no reason to have helmet laws, because everyone would chose to wear one.

if it goes vroom or boom, I LIKE IT!

Last edited by ruger; 03-13-2013 at 11:09 AM.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 11:47 AM
Old Fart

Garage
There is a site that lists the percentages of what the likely odds are for impacting various parts of your body in an accident. But as I've said before, you can't choose your accident, so those odds are kinda pointless.

My wife before she worked for the school district worked at various retirement/extended care facilities. She said it seemed every one of them had alot of old folks, but there was always one or two young (20-30 years old) men that were there also. Every time she asked about them it was always " The poor guy was in a motorcycle accident and suffered severe brain damage....he wasn't wearing a helmet we were told...."

She said the even sadder part was seeing the guys family when they came to visit.

I'm all for folks making their own decisions on what level of safety gear they wear....but I think many don't weigh in the impact their decision may have on their loved ones.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 10:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
" The poor guy was in a motorcycle accident and suffered severe brain damage....he wasn't wearing a helmet we were told...."
Been there, survived that one. 4 teenage boys in a pasture on the edge of a mountain. Hot August day. Just took off their helmets to cool down in a shade. Helmets come off. Brother kicks my bike about knocking me over. We fire them up and 65 mph later in waste deep Johnson grass the solid land ran out. 158 feet latter the bike landed on top of me. 100+ stitches in the head, dozen ribs and few other select other broken bones I got to walk for the first time in 3 months. I cried went my brother drug my bike out of the barn for me to see when I got home from the hospital. Not a single part was left salvagible.

I got a bad infection from the salad bowl size plate they put in my head. It had to be removed. Never had it put back in and still have a 7 inch by 1/8 inch wide crack in the skull leaving out of my right eye socket going over the top of my head. Does that make me a crack head?

Last edited by Chuck A.; 03-13-2013 at 10:37 PM.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 10:49 PM

Hey Mike....what was the point of adding this ? :

Quote:
I pulled up next to a guy and his girl on a harley the other day. I was wearing my riding pants, padded jacket, full face helmet, gloves, riding boots and he was wearing a short sleeve shirt and jeans. His girl was pretty sweet looking but wearing jeans and a riding jacket. Both had on a shorty.
You began a "story", never finished....

Im old school....pro-choice....same as Denny....90% of the time, I wear a half....decent one....when Im in a no helmet state on backroads, off it comes...but when Im in traffic, or ride to where I KNOW there will be traffic, I wear my 3/4.....
I dont get the points of a few of the replies...dead horse torture again ?...
I was a logger as well....in the Adirondacks and in the Catskills....those helmets caused more neck injuries than good....(crushed discs....I have 3 to prove it)....had Dennys friend been wearing a helmet, would it have helped ? Disputable....a logger knows enough to watch for widowmakers above, often hidden by a helmet, btw....

Lets not make this a pro-con post....its more of a "what if", and "mebbe I rethunk things"....

Lets just say, "there are times that varying degrees of protection are recommended and needed"....fair ?

If you were in your driveway, drilling a piece of plywood with a hand drill, would you wear leather gloves, safety glasses and a hardhat ?....if you were doing the same, on the 40th floor of a skyscraper, would you ?...all Im tryin to say....dont make this another "pro full shell and armor" thread.....Denny made a good point about "rethinking" things...its a very good practice, IMO...THAT should be the main gist of the post.....not pros or cons...

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
This is kinda motorcycle related since it involves a head injury.Most of you that know me, Know I usually don't wear a helmet.I still don't think it should be law mandated .

A good friend of mine was in a logging accident 13 days ago and had a head injury to the top front part of his head.No one knows or is telling exactly what happened.The thing is I went to visit him a couple of times and to see him in the shape he is in although he is starting to recover and the medical team thinks he will have complete recovery was a sharp wake up call to me.

I will now try to remember to wear my helmet all the time,old habits are hard to break,but seeing what his family has been through,and not by any choice he made,makes me not want to put my family through all the pain,sorrow and fear they have had to endure.

My new Helmet is supposed to arrive today.It is still a halfie,but it is not a cheapie,I had another helmet that I wore when I had to or felt like it but it isn't of very good quality.

I am not on a crusade her to change anyone's mind,but I have changed mine.I am going to wear this one and I will probably buy a Modular or another FF a little later on.I just need to wear one a few miles before a sink a couple hundred dollars more into another one I wouldn't wear.

There is a local shop with a pretty good selection that will let me wear one on the bike in real world conditions so I can choose one I will wear, instead of just strapping it on the bike.

I guess sight will cure the blind .Head trauma is a scary thing. Not so much to me but because of the effects it would have on family and friends.I don't want to put anyone through that.

Not that I didn't already know it but like I said in the title.Seeing is believing.

sorry to hear about your friend. IF you decide to wear helmets I suggest the HJC CL MAX series, they are modular, I leave mine flipped up for air then when I want to be more 'exciting' i flip it down and open the bike up. I like how the HJC feels. Nolan is a great helmet but it costs half as much as some motorcycles haha.

Good luck, sorry to hear about your pal. Here is to a speedy successful recovery!

Kenny
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Thanks Wolf my point exactly,take everything into consideration when you make your choices

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 11:16 PM

Thanks Den...posts like these seem to "draw the salesmen"...and that wasnt your point....the point was basically, if I may..."think more deeply into something before you do", take in all possibilities and considerations..."then decide"....thats what its all about....not whats better/worse...that can be debated forever....its up to the rider, but the rider shouldnt make snap decisions....think it, before you do it....

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 12:05 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Sounded a bit like you were "selling" the "con" here to me Wolf.

Didn't read any "you are stupid if you don't wear a helmet" posts yet....

The point of making a choice considering ALL aspects looked to be the general slant of posts here....that and brain damage can suck.. LOL

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement