He looked away for a moment. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
He looked away for a moment.

I know the riding season is slowing for some riders in different parts of the good 'Ol U.S.A. But we still need to remember that safety is numero uno. Any who, check this link out and click through the 28 pictures taking by a photographer at the Dragon. Guy made it but was in critical condition. This was written by a rider on another forum who knows him. "Jeff is now stable but still in critical condition. Injuries he has sustained include fractured skull at frontal lobe and orbital area, missing four front teeth with torn lip, facial reconstruction in the future, broken C1,C2,T3,L2,L3 and L4, broken ribs on both sides and collapsed lungs with lacerations to liver and kidney. Thank you for all your love, prayers, and support."

http://xtremesportsphotography.photo...000&po=0&pc=28

Last edited by Chuck A.; 10-24-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 11:00 PM
ass hole extaordinaire

with the pics moving so slow you dont really realize how fast he was going until it shows the impact glad the guy is ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
Sucks getting old but it beats not getting old.

i got my helmet but it sure makes licking the windows a chore

cell phone number for anyone who needs it 214-516-1738

photobucket link
http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/newrider9984/library/
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 11:32 PM
Youngster

Yowza. This was eye-opening. What an awesome thing to capture pictures of, however, the accident would not have happened if the camera man wasn't there clearly. Hope the guy comes out of it okay.

1990 VN750 Red and Black
Bought on 6/30/2012 w/ 13,230 miles
At ~20,000
To Do List: Paint Front Rim, Acct- mcct mod

Done: Adjusted Float Bowls, R/R Replace and Relocate, Coastered, Ear Shave, Front/Rear Tire Change, Replaced Final Gear Seals, Splines Lubed, Relay Coil Mod, Replaced Fork Seals, Rebuilt Starter

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 11:52 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stVulcan View Post
Yowza. This was eye-opening. What an awesome thing to capture pictures of, however, the accident would not have happened if the camera man wasn't there clearly. Hope the guy comes out of it okay.
The fault lies not with the camera man but with the rider. You can see instead of countersteering more to sharpen his turn, he stood the bike up (likely by hitting the brakes) and rode right towards the car.

And from the list of injuries.... Makes me like my full face helmet even more.....

Hope the guy comes out OK.....

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 01:27 AM
Youngster

Yes I noticed the way he straightened up. He panicked and made the wrong decision. I'm glad I got a full face helmet also, that's my money maker haha

1990 VN750 Red and Black
Bought on 6/30/2012 w/ 13,230 miles
At ~20,000
To Do List: Paint Front Rim, Acct- mcct mod

Done: Adjusted Float Bowls, R/R Replace and Relocate, Coastered, Ear Shave, Front/Rear Tire Change, Replaced Final Gear Seals, Splines Lubed, Relay Coil Mod, Replaced Fork Seals, Rebuilt Starter
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stVulcan View Post
I think there are literally a thousand better ways you could have said that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
The fault lies not with the camera man but with the rider. You can see instead of countersteering more to sharpen his turn, he stood the bike up (likely by hitting the brakes) and rode right towards the car.

And from the list of injuries.... Makes me like my full face helmet even more.....

Hope the guy comes out OK.....
I agree 100%. I'm of the mind; if you lose focus, it's your fault. I lost focus recently and it took all of a nanosecond for me to be on the ground. Besides, I'm not convinced there was even a camera man present. Doesn't the Tail have those camera posts all along it? Like those things roller coasters have where you can purchase your picture afterward?

Well anyway, I hope the guy makes a speedy and full recovery.

Last edited by LibertyPilot; 10-25-2012 at 08:31 AM.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 09:10 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Not disputing the fact that a full face helmet would likely reduced the seriousness of his injuries.I am aware of several mistakes he made .The first one, he was not paying attention to what he was doing.He was waving at the camera,Then when he did look back where he should have been going he saw the Vette and gave it his attention, "target fixation"?We all know you go where you are looking at when on a bike .He didn't stay in his turn for whatever reason,That curve was easily taken, he either got on the brakes hard and stood the bike up or just naturally drifted toward what he was looking at.

The number one piece of safety equipment you have, came installed in your head,your brain.Keep it in the game at all times and most of these types of accidents won't happen,and You won't have to see how well your helmet performs in a crash.

I pray this guy is alright and others learn a lesson from these photos.
Ya'll be safe out there!!!

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 09:11 AM
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

There are at least 2, but I think more now besides the ones that took that picture, they set up on different curves and sell your pictures on site...
As to the accident, one of those deals that you go where you look (Target fixation) could have had a bit to do with it as it seems to almost play mind tricks when you get in a spot, as he was, probably did see the photographer and let his mind go flat for an instant...
He also looks like he may have scraped a bit just before he streightened up, that scares the crap outa some riders...
Not goin against what was said earlier, just offerin another thought...
One reason that I like ridin sorta fast is that it keeps my mind locked into what I'm doin... And, I still like my Full Face helmet...
Glad he is still with us, and wish for a speedy recovery...
PS-Denny you beat me by one minute, target fixation, couldn't think of the words (CRS)...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...

Last edited by Old Dog; 10-25-2012 at 09:19 AM.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 09:28 AM

Looks like to me that he was focused on that camera and was going too fast for the turn, leaned it over and dragged a peg then hit the brake and straightened up. After that it was game over.

When I make my little trip to Ohio in Aug. I road the Dragon 3 times. The last time I took a break going north bound and was eating lunch near the top Four bikes and a small car I guess were racing, bikes in the lead and car behind, came screaming by. Once I finished eating and got on up the road about a mile or so I came upon the accident. A crotch rocket and the car both off the road and down the side of the mountain. I didn't stop as there were about 15 people there already. The cops and an ambulance passed me 10 or 15 minutes later at the bottom of the run headed for those guys.

In both cases, I wish the best for all involved.

Later in the week as I was tagging along with Denny and the boys, I rode trail and was always a bit behind when coming out of the twists and turns. But remember ride within your limits and keep alert. It's not how fast you make it thru a turn, it's that you make it thru safely that matters.

MCCT Mod
Pickup Mod
12 Volt Receptacle Mod
Memphis Shades Santa Cruz
Homemade Luggage Rack
NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs
Harley Sportster Exhausts
Rotating/Flashing Tail Lights
170/80 Michelin Commander II
Saddlemen Highwayman Slant Jumbo Saddlebags
Bought 09/10 12.2k miles - 04/12 33.4k miles
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 09:51 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CW-4 View Post
Looks like to me that he was focused on that camera and was going too fast for the turn, leaned it over and dragged a peg then hit the brake and straightened up. After that it was game over.

When I make my little trip to Ohio in Aug. I road the Dragon 3 times. The last time I took a break going north bound and was eating lunch near the top Four bikes and a small car I guess were racing, bikes in the lead and car behind, came screaming by. Once I finished eating and got on up the road about a mile or so I came upon the accident. A crotch rocket and the car both off the road and down the side of the mountain. I didn't stop as there were about 15 people there already. The cops and an ambulance passed me 10 or 15 minutes later at the bottom of the run headed for those guys.

In both cases, I wish the best for all involved.

Later in the week as I was tagging along with Denny and the boys, I rode trail and was always a bit behind when coming out of the twists and turns. But remember ride within your limits and keep alert. It's not how fast you make it thru a turn, it's that you make it thru safely that matters.
Dave makes a a good point here,ride within your personal limits.

I do ride a bit more aggressive than some but less than others ,I know my personal limits and sometimes push to the edge of them and the scraping sound does scare some people .

I enjoyed our trip to OH with Dave and made it down to the Smoky mountains last month and rode the Dragon once while I was down there,but it is too crowded.I met my goal of not being caught or passed by another rider and heard some scarping sounds most every turn.I think it was a matter of timing more than me being fast,But that is one more crossed off the list.

I am getting out of here and headed to The Red River Gorge to meet some Friends from Central KY,you all have a good one and see you on the highway.

BTW ,riding with Dave has it's advantages ,It is the only time I ever got over 50 MPG,Come on back up when you can Dave! You are good people

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X

Last edited by denny6006; 10-25-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement