Rear Tire Blow Out - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Rear Tire Blow Out

After work on a friday coworkers and I were sitting at the bar at Chilis. Then one of the guys got the phone call that Big AL dumped his bike, a Honda GW.
What ended up happining was his rear tire blew out. He let it go way to long, and he even talked about needing a new tire and was looking on line for one.
He's ok just some road rash (nice helmet), but he said that when it happened the front steering started to wobble and he could'nt control it and next thing he was on the pavement.
I have always kind thought that a rear tire problem would be more of a controlable situation, of course this was an instant catostrophic failure of the rear tire. My one question is, Is there a way to control a wobbling front end. or does it just happen so fast theres nothing you can do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 07:52 PM

Garage
The Gold Wing is so heavy I would think either tire let go ALL hell break loose. Good to hear his good as he is. We only have 2 points of contact with the pavement when riding and I would want to make sure they are good specialy on on heavy bike. If not you will sooner or later make more points of contact with the pavement.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 09:19 PM

Garage
If the rear gets all wild like that and/or changes the handling of the front, lock that rear tire up untill you safely stop. This will keep one contact patch and will not vary rear handling on any bike. It is always a good thing to experiment locking the rear and see how it handles in the event of blow out or a lock up. Most never had a rear locked and wouldn't know what would or wouldn't happen in the event if it did. A locked rear is not hard to control and can prevent further accidents like the one posted or another situation.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-23-2012, 11:24 PM

A tubed tire is a worse blow than a tubeless. Tubless tend to keep their shape even at low pressure (rode mine at 10lbs/30mph pressure in rear to get air today)...and yaaa...a front blowout is an almost immediate laydown, etc...and depending on speed, a rear can still retain some control over the bike until you stop. The rear on my old Sportster (tube) blew at around 50mph...I gently slowed it down using the engine until I stopped and packed it full of sod to continue.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 12:48 PM
Old Fart

Garage
99% of the time a tubeless tire is not going to "blow"....it looses air quickly but takes enough time to get the bike over the side of the road safely. Letting a tire go until it's so weak and rotted it explodes is of course not a good thing.

Loosing air in the front is usually more dangerous as far as control goes.....assessing the problem quickly ang getting the bike stopped ASAP is important.

Again, another good plug for Ride On...( pun intended )

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 10:19 PM

...deja vu....

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 11:44 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
A tubed tire is a worse blow than a tubeless. Tubless tend to keep their shape even at low pressure (rode mine at 10lbs/30mph pressure in rear to get air today)...and yaaa...a front blowout is an almost immediate laydown, etc...and depending on speed, a rear can still retain some control over the bike until you stop. The rear on my old Sportster (tube) blew at around 50mph...I gently slowed it down using the engine until I stopped and packed it full of sod to continue.
landscaping takes on a new spin.wow.luckily i have never had a blowout(he says as he crosses his fingers)

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 08:37 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
...deja vu....
Oooops. Sorry for repeating. I read the forum from my IPhone. It many times will not refresh a page I've left open.. Meaning that anyone's posts put up between the the times I reopen the thread aren't shown. Most times I remember to refresh the link, some times I forget.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 08:42 PM

Sokay brother Knife...no ill....I know ya been having issues with yer phone thing....was just pokin ya a bit like you poke me at times....

...hey DirtyDoc...you been in Norwich long ?...I used to go up that way to my buddy's farm in the 70s...huntin, shootin, snowmobilin and drinkin...went to the races in Unadilla too...

Last edited by Wolfie; 06-25-2012 at 08:44 PM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 08:54 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

I read somewhere that 90% of tire punctures and other tire failure occurs in the last 10% of tread wear.
I guess that is a reminder to change out your tires before you`re down to the wear bars and you can see what color the air inside them is!!

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement