New Helmet Requirements Coming? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Love My Baby

New Helmet Requirements Coming?

Just read this news article from the CDC entitled, Motorcycle Helmet Laws Reduce Deaths. I can see it now... the Obama administration is going to push for mandatory helmet laws because what they want is more important than our freedom.

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light
Cortech mini tank bag on rear rack
Pirelli MT66 Tires: 110 front / 150 rear
Splines lubed when tires installed at 10,650 miles
Splines lubed again at 14,400 with stubby valve stem install

Place your mouse on the X below and drag to the O

X
Even though you can't see Him, GOD is there! O
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 09:20 AM
Old Fart

Garage
No, what they want are less riders getting killed.

Freedom has nothing to do with it.

And this was already discussed here:
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21977

So pay attention.....lol.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 06-18-2012 at 09:26 AM.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 11:56 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

What a stupid flawed study. If you use their figures it is SAFER NOT to wear a helmet. Using their figures 57.5% died wearing a helmet and 42.4% died not wearing a helmet. More government BS.

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 01:00 PM
Old Fart

Garage
^That's a great job of skewing data. Am sure all the anti-helmet folk will enjoy using it.

The study was not comparing the overall fatalities of helmeted riders (which make up the larger group of all riders) to non helmeted riders. What they are saying is out of all motorcycle deaths, states that have helmet laws only account for 14% of them... Meaning states with no helmet laws account for 86% of all motorcycle deaths.

Now just from that, what do you think that seems to say?

post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
^That's a great job of skewing data. Am sure all the anti-helmet folk will enjoy using it.

The study was not comparing the overall fatalities of helmeted riders (which make up the larger group of all riders) to non helmeted riders. What they are saying is out of all motorcycle deaths, states that have helmet laws only account for 14% of them... Meaning states with no helmet laws account for 86% of all motorcycle deaths.

Now just from that, what do you think that seems to say?
Not skewing data, only using theirs. They seem to also assume that the riders in states with no helmet laws are ALL not wearing helmets. That is not the case. They also do not take into account the number of registered bikes in the no helmet law states compared to the helmet law states. This study seems to have been done by a 10 year old but I'm sure it was done by someone getting a healthy government grant and has never been near a motorcycle. We should have the choice to wear a helmet or not.

JM2001

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 06:44 PM
Old Fart

Garage
I'm guessing either your joking or you just "math challenged". You can't say 57.5 percent of riders died because they wore a helmet and 42.4 died because they didn't unless you can show that exactly 50% of all riders in the US wear a helmet and 50% don't. (your numbers don't even add up to 100%...)

Assuming your NOT retarded, let me give you an example of your faulty math here.

Let's say you , a man, move to a small town. After getting there, you find out that 80% of the folks living there are women. Using your logic, I should be able to say that there is a 8 out of 10 possibility that you have the ability to become pregnant.

The fact is there is a zero percent chance you'd ever become pregnant. Right?

Your using the same logic to say because more riders in the United States wear helmets that the odds are more likely that you'll die because you wear a helmet.

Another case of "skewing data" .... Sorry, but you did.

It's been shown that in states with NO helmet laws, about 79% of riders don't wear a helmet. (this figure from the National Highway folk) compare that to 100% of riders in helmet law states that wear a helmet.

If only 14 percent of ALL fatalities occur in states with
Mandatory helmet laws, then 86 percent of all deaths in states with no helmet laws then that can only mean two things:

The states with no helmet laws are just intrinsically more dangerous.
Or
That there's a higher chance of dying if you don't wear a helmet compared to if you do.

Several studies over the past 20 years have seemed to point to the fact that there's a 37% better chance of surviving a motorcycle accident if you are wearing a helmet as opposed to not wearing one. This recent study seems to not only support this , but show that that number might be on the low side.

Please let folks with actual understanding of statistical analysis do the math and keep your well intended, but wrong, interpretations of data to yourself.

KM

post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 07:45 PM

^^^ I am very far from math challenged. If you don't like their figures argue with them. I'm using their figures as they stated them. I think you are the one with the problem interpeting the data because you don't like the data. Let people do the math and they can decide how to interpet the study.Get off your bandwagon and let people make their own decisions on helmets and other safety equipment. I guess you are one of the liberal a-holes who want government to control everything and everyone.

JM2001

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 07:56 PM

I think this just goes to show that 67.2% of all statistical data is completely made up.

The fact is that statistical data can be interpreted (skewed) in a variety of ways. That is an inherent problem with statistics. You can find a way to make almost any data support a particular point of view.

Putting aside the data in the study and whether they are wasting money or not, and also putting aside whether everyone should have the choice of wearing a helmet or not, common sense tells me that hitting your head with a helmet on will do less damage than hitting your head without a helmet on. Should everyone have to wear a helmet because of that "common sense", no. Riding a motorcycle is dangerous in and of itself...so what's the real difference if you wear a helmet or not?

You can still get her pregnant if you wear a rubber and she is on the pill. The only way to ensure you won't get her pregnant is to keep it in your pants. There's only been one reported case of that not working.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 07:59 PM
romeobravo172

Send a message via Skype™ to romeobravo172
What He Said^^^^^^^^^^^ COMMON SENSE!!!

04-3,200 miles bought July 2011 with 928 miles. Loaded with acessories to many to list here, see my albums for more details! I also make a custom tank bib specific for the 750 if anyone is interested, ck my albums for some pics.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 08:17 PM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviate View Post
I think this just goes to show that 67.2% of all statistical data is completely made up.
I was just wondering what statistical study showed that 67.2% data mark. lol

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement