Hard time getting on/off - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Hard time getting on/off

I love my bike, I really do. I am have the hardest time trying to mount and dismount from it though . It just seems so high up. I can't swing my leg because I have the passenger backrest and my foot hits it. I try to kind of karate kick my leg over the top but when I wear jeans, I drag across the seat doing this too because it gets tight on my leg. Any suggestions? I have read about people using the pegs to mount but this seemed way too awkward and my bike felt like it could fall over. Maybe I should start stretching....

Last edited by LesPaulPlayer; 06-08-2012 at 02:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 12:39 AM
1986 VN750

Garage
My biggest problem is getting off. I just don't want to!

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 01:58 AM

I'm right there with you. I'm a fat 44 year old with a 28 inch inseam. I can hike my leg up to mount but when I dismount all I can do its move my left foot as far away as possible and drag my right leg across the seat. I thought about lowering the bike but those shocks are expensive. I used to know a guy that did upholstery and I may look him up to see if he can shave the seat down some.

4/12/12 1st bike ever! 95 VN 750 13k
New plug wires
Iridiums
Coil relay mod
MCCT mod
Marbled
EPA stuff removed
Rear signals shaved
Shinko 170-110 oversized tourmaster tires
Splines lubed
Front signals relocated.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 02:08 AM
Let's Ride!!

Garage
I can understand having a hard time with it. The regular passenger backrest seems awkwardly tall; I can't imagine also having the extended one.

Try this: climb on from the right side. Step on the right peg with your right foot while leaning your weight slightly toward the left side of the bike (to keep it from coming off the kickstand), straighten your right leg up, and swing your left leg up and over while keeping it tucked up so that you aren't trying to clear the whole backrest, but instead inside of it and just over the passenger seat.

If you like, I'll shoot a little vid of what I mean.

'95 Vulcan 750 - Purchased 8/2003 w/ 21,124 miles - passed 50K 9/3/15
* VN900 seat * Daytona handlebar * Converted ACCTs to MCCTs * Relocated R/R * Drilled clutch basket * Coastered * Repainted *
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 03:19 AM

maybe shoot your standing leg forward a little and mount more over the tank than the seat, and the sae when dismounting.
put your foot forward, as close to the peg as possible and pull yourself forward using the bars, give you an extra few inches.
and lads, who amongst us wouldnt kill for an extra few inches, am i right??? lol
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thtanner View Post
My biggest problem is getting off. I just don't want to!
i dare not even say anything here

i have a 28 inch inseam and am 48 years old. i can imagine either getting on or off the bike, or being stuck in the living room watching tv with the wife and kids. don't get me wrong, i am very involved with my kids, we have a ton of fun, but dadgammit riding time is riding time and someday i will chuck my dadgammed walker aside, lift my right leg up and use my hands if i have to, and kick that old dead leg over the seat. just lift your boot up and slide the pants across the seat. i mean really, if you can't lift your leg for like 5 seconds then you need to take a long walk every day, i try to do just that. get some exercise once in a while. then come over and ride one of my xr600's and you will really have something to bi+ch about. no electric start either. i am 5-8 and have owned and ridden zx1100's, xl/xr600's, too many cr250 and kx250's to count, you can either hoist your short leg over the seat or sit home and watch the lifetime channel with your wife. being short never stopped me from not only running with the big doggs, but it many cases passing them with my middle finger raised proudly in the air

2005 VN750

2003 VN1500 Nomad FI Bagger

2004 KLX400SR Dual Sport light adv bike

1969 CB750 K0 sand cast #1767

couple of nice GL650 Silver Wing Interstates, one with hack

2 and 4 stroke dirt bikes

other vintage stuff back in the corner
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 05:11 AM
Chucklehead

Ok ... got this far and had to go out and examine the mechanics of how I do this.

I get on from the left side with the bike on the side stand, front wheel turned right. Left foot goes by the side stand, left hand on left grip. Lean forward (almost can kiss the windshield)bent right leg so heel is close to but, slide knee across seat and slide butt to seat dropping right foot to ground/peg. Adjust, fire up and go.

Dismount is almost exact opposite, lean forward, slide butt to left while bringing right foot up to butt again. Slide off and smile.

Maybe I over-analized again and am gifted in being able to kick my own butt (which I seem to be getting real good at)

87 vn750at least that is what the frame #'s say
"Squirrel Bike" aka Jersey

Rat bike with a good PR agent

shaved and coastered
2 into 1 exhaust
rear 170 and front 110
Relocated R/R
custom dash with voltmeter
Spitfire windscreen
Plutonium plugs
Recovered seat without "butt hammers"
More to come
Praise to the Parts Goddess Crobins for needed things

When someone tells me "Great minds think alike" all I can think is "You Pervert"
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT319 View Post
I can understand having a hard time with it. The regular passenger backrest seems awkwardly tall; I can't imagine also having the extended one.

If you like, I'll shoot a little vid of what I mean.
dude i am sorry, but please do send a video... i have an extended backrest with a tall soft bag that i put on the passenger seat (my wife thinks riding is too "windy" and prefers watching the lifetime channel, with the windows shut if there is a breeze) i think i would honestly poop myself laughing if i saw someone swing a leg over the tall backrest! unless you are a ninja! hawhaw

2005 VN750

2003 VN1500 Nomad FI Bagger

2004 KLX400SR Dual Sport light adv bike

1969 CB750 K0 sand cast #1767

couple of nice GL650 Silver Wing Interstates, one with hack

2 and 4 stroke dirt bikes

other vintage stuff back in the corner
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 05:35 AM

I am just getting all kinds of funny mental images from this thread. Struggling to do something makes it all the more important to do it anyway. As for swinging a leg over an extended back rest, call Shaq. He could do it with style. Might look a little funny riding though.

4/12/12 1st bike ever! 95 VN 750 13k
New plug wires
Iridiums
Coil relay mod
MCCT mod
Marbled
EPA stuff removed
Rear signals shaved
Shinko 170-110 oversized tourmaster tires
Splines lubed
Front signals relocated.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 08:10 AM
Old Fart

Garage
First off, don't get on from the right side of the bike. It's actually taller there and you have to lean over the bike. Besides it's just wrong and you'll be laughed at.

The method of using the footpeg is the way to go for us inseam challenged riders. It's called the Equestrian Mount. If it seems awkward to you, just practise it until you don't.

The bike should be on the sidestand with the bars turned full left. Place your left foot on the left peg and reach over with your right hand and grab the right grip, squeezing the front brake nice and hard.

Now stand up on your left leg, you can grab the left grip with your left hand if you feel unsteady. Your right leg should just be hanging in the air. Pivot your hips so you start facing forward and pull your right knee up towards your chest untill your right foot is above the seat. Simply lift your foot over the seat and find the right peg with your foot, as you sit down.(still holding the front brake)

You need to practice this untill it's all just one fluid motion. Should take under 2 seconds. The bike won't roll if your holding the brake. This is easier if you have floorboards, and having a lower seat helps too, but not required.

You should be able to do the first move...(holding the brake and standing up straight with your left foot on the peg) and pause there as long as you want. What sometimes disorients folks is the bike is leaning and they think their weight us going to knock it over... It won't fall as long as your holding the brake...(and your not parked on soft ground)

This technique works the same way for your passenger....except instead of holding the bars they are holding your shoulders.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement