Motorcycle Safety Course - Insurance discount - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Motorcycle Safety Course - Insurance discount

Just got a whopping $1 off my motorcycle insurance after taking the advanced motorcycle safety course. I was curious what kind of discount others have received after taking a safety course? Mainly I want to know if my insurance guy has taken a "cut" of my discount. FYI I only have liability, no comprehensive or "full" coverage which he said affected my discount. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Dave
----------------
2005 Vulcan 750
Purchased May, 2011 @ 2,172
Splines lubed @ 2,962 (were in good shape)
Küryakyn Daily Tour Bag
SS-28 Slipstreamer Smoke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 12:48 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
50 bucks off my insurance after taking the advanced course. also just a little bit over min insurance requirements... I have 6,000 in accessory coverage and Road Side assistance... I believe. Ohh and I upped the medical as well to 50,000 i think...
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 07:47 AM

Garage
I never did the course. I was curious how much I would get off by taking the course. Course is $250. I have liability and they said it would be $13 lower for three years and after that no discounts. The $39 dollars I would save would be eaten up by fuel alone getting to and from the course. So, i'm not taking the course ever, waste of my time and money.

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 07:51 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

The Hurt Study (http://www.magpie.com/nycmoto/hurt.html) shows that those who take a riding course are less likely to be involved in an accident than untrained riders, and when they are, the accidents are less severe.

I took the course because I thought it would make me a better, safer, rider.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 08:09 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel13 View Post
I never did the course. I was curious how much I would get off by taking the course. Course is $250. I have liability and they said it would be $13 lower for three years and after that no discounts. The $39 dollars I would save would be eaten up by fuel alone getting to and from the course. So, i'm not taking the course ever, waste of my time and money.
Guess you believe you are the best bike rider in the world......(and have nothing to learn.)

I carry all the insurance one can, and my discount is about 100 bucks a year. But I did not take a riding course to get a discount...I took it to learn more about riding the bike. The "Advanced course" would be more helpful to those that already have riding experience.

I also took a day long course on road racing, no insurance discount for that, but it did teach me how to brake and turn better.

Chances are you can always learn something new simply by getting another viewpoint even when you believe you know all there is to know.

One little tip you may have never though of can save your life. Learning never really stops. If you are too cheap to spend money on an education that's alot worse than just being too poor.....

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 10:03 AM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

Lots of people can ride a motorcycle but not all of them can do it properly. I also had a minimum discount but I know that what I learned during the course has saved me well beyond the $250 course cost in accident avoidance. Several times I know I would have been involved in an accident with serious injuries because of other drivers that did not pay attention to the possibility of a motorcycle being on their "personal" roadway. There are several ways to look at cost savings and for me I have found that my one accident was minor because I remembered what I was taught in the course and I did not end up in the hospital or the morgue. I also did not have to buy a new bike. The cost of the course was nothing compared to what may have happened and I am willing to admit that I am not an expert rider but I am continuing to learn and will be taking the advanced course soon because it is one of the best and cheapest investments a rider can make if they are serious about riding a motorcycle for any real length of time.

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 10:48 AM

I guess it is to the person himself wether he takes a riders course or not I do not think you have to just to be safe on the road, I have been riding for 40 years and the only incident I have had was being hit in the rear while stationary by a moron in a bus and that was 5 days after passing my motorcycle test, maybe I have just been lucky who knows and no I don't think I am the best rider on the road and that it couldn't happen to me, I am always aware of what the others on the road are doing and it is my opinion that if you ride with care and are sensible you have a good chance of being safe, and as for dicounts for the course we get discounts for no claims on the policy which is around 60% and as long as you have no accidents that stays with you even when you change insurers I don't think you would get much more for passing the advanced course over here, like i say just my opinion
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 11:05 AM

Dang, $100 discount? My full coverage is only costing me $100 a year. I could go with just liability, but with my luck some cager would knock her over in a parking lot while I was eating somewhere.

MCCT Mod
Pickup Mod
12 Volt Receptacle Mod
Memphis Shades Santa Cruz
Homemade Luggage Rack
NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs
Harley Sportster Exhausts
Rotating/Flashing Tail Lights
170/80 Michelin Commander II
Saddlemen Highwayman Slant Jumbo Saddlebags
Bought 09/10 12.2k miles - 04/12 33.4k miles
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 11:29 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CW-4 View Post
Dang, $100 discount? My full coverage is only costing me $100 a year. I could go with just liability, but with my luck some cager would knock her over in a parking lot while I was eating somewhere.
Again remember you can't compare insurance prices from one place to another.

Where you live, the value of your bike (my FJR is still worth about 9 grand) , your age, sex, past driving issues (I do collect speeding tickets) and the cities crime rate and tax base all figure in to your insurance cost.

A guy that has the same bike as you, same age, etc can pay more simply because he lives accross the street. Insurance companies divide areas into regions and it's possible to pay more cause your house sits on THIS side of some imaginary line.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 11:43 AM

X2 with that KM also over here colour of bike/car alters the premium just because more red ones have had more accidents than blue ones, in fact any old reason that they can come up with to raise the cost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement