Holy ****!!!!!!! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Holy ****!!!!!!!

Oh my God, I just almost crashed. I didn't even see him to the left trying to pull onto the road, I usually slow down. He does, I hammer the brakes, it was either that or crash into him. The rear tire locks up, it starts to slide to the right, I turn the handle bars slightly right to stay up. I hit the front brake harder thinking it would compensate, it does. The bike slows, the dude pulls away, I release the rear brake, and thank everything holy the rear tire rights itself!!! Holy ****!!!!

So I gun it and catch up to him, NOW he sees me! We stop at the light. My arms are out, "What did you miss dude, the GIANT gold motorcycle?!!!" I yell. He's visibly nervous, he blows the red to make his right. I've never been that close, holy crap! People really DON'T see us fellas - at all! Please be safe!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 06:23 PM

wow, that'll shake you up!! Glad ur alright

Purchased 7/03 w/13000 mi
Sold10/10 27,000miles
Ear shave
V&H Cruisers
Tim Parrott stator
R/R relocated
Iridium Plugs
AGM Battery
Splines lubed
Clear Alternative LED brake light
TOC mcct
Mutazu LN Hard saddlebags
Chad's floorboards
Current ride-2009 Honda VTX1300

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 07:07 PM
Drive less, ride more...

After a circumstance like that, you should be asking yourself:

"What could I have done to prevent/defeat this situation from developing?"

My guess is if you were more thoroughly scanning your surroundings, and asking yourself, "what if?...."--you could have predicted he wouldn't see you, then braked/swerved to avoid this described threat.

Also: what color helmet were you wearing at the time of the accident?

And...I have to ask....does the bike you were riding have a headlamp modulator? And was it activated at the time of this incident?

One or both of these safety ideas could have in fact made all the diff in what happened.

What do you think?

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/

Last edited by theauhawk; 04-13-2012 at 07:10 PM.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 08:10 PM

Glad your ok liberty. Definitely.

And

All good idea theauhawk....

Ride safe all

Accomplishments;

Changed Final Drive Fluid
Iridium Plugs

NGK Spark Plug Wires
Bridgestone Spitfire Tires
Maintenance Free Battery
Lubed the Spline
Shaved and Coastered
Under Tank Air Filter
Re-Jetted
Vn900 Seat Mod w/ Honda 1100 Backrest
Rebuilt Petcock
Custom Mirrors
Custom SaddleBags
LED Taillight
Heads Up Voltage Monitor

Upcoming: Change front fork Seals & Oil, install highway pegs & floorboards
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 09:21 PM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theauhawk View Post
After a circumstance like that, you should be asking yourself:

"What could I have done to prevent/defeat this situation from developing?"

My guess is if you were more thoroughly scanning your surroundings, and asking yourself, "what if?...."--you could have predicted he wouldn't see you, then braked/swerved to avoid this described threat.

Also: what color helmet were you wearing at the time of the accident?

And...I have to ask....does the bike you were riding have a headlamp modulator? And was it activated at the time of this incident?

One or both of these safety ideas could have in fact made all the diff in what happened.

What do you think?
I think you could possibly place one of those super bright strobe lights on the top of your helmet like some of the school buses have. In reality, there are some people driving that do not realize there are other vehicles on the road besides the. I work on a road crew for the NJ Turnpike and our trucks have a minimum of ten flashing lights pointed in all directions and yet people still slam into our trucks and then say they never saw it. The state police barracks is in the same building as we are and their cars are conastantly slammed into while they are flashing lights of three different colors. All that can be done is to drive defensively and try to anticipate other drivers but to do so you have to think like them and sometimes it is impossible to be that dumb and unconscious. Today I had a woman try to park her big Buick in the same parking space that I had my bike parked in and I was still sitting on the bike. She looked right at me and got about a third of the way into the space and I was yelling and trying walk the bike backwards. Finally she stopped and started laughing and said, "I almost ran you over and crushed you and the motorcycle." I asked her, "What was the first clue that someone and something was there." She wasn't sure. I asked if she thought that maybe she should look before she drove a vehicle anywhere and she just continued to laugh. After she parked she was walking past me and said that if she hit me she wouldn't be able to get her shopping done. I apologized for being unannounced in her private little world. People are blind and stupid and we all know, "You can't fix stupid!" Anticipate as much as you can but realize that you can never cover all the dumb actions other drivers will make especially when you are on a bike. We do not exist as far as they are concerned and when we do we are expendable. Just a little bump in the road.

Liberty, I am glad you made it through alright and know that being in control of your ride and knowing what the bike and you can do is what helps. Paracticing evasive maneuvers like you do is the right thing for everyone. It sounds like you were riding alone which is a good thing also. It would be a wrong time for any additional weight and possible counter balancing from behind. Stay safe.

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles

Last edited by Vulcan2000; 04-13-2012 at 09:27 PM.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 11:21 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
glad you are allright,Liberty.i always ride like everyone is going to run me over.i had a close call on my wing once when a taxi pulled out about 10 feet in front of me at about 40.i jjust leaned over and ended up next to him.i was close enough to him that i could have punched him in the head!when i started yelling at him for not seeing me i guess the "scary biker dude" that i am,lol,scared him enough that he raced off,with a passenger in back,no less.all you can do is ride safe and hope for the best

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 12:48 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

Glad to hear your instincts and riding skills were able to save you from a collision and all the unpleasantness that accompanies that!!

Was your view of the left turning car screened or blocked by other cars or trees etc?
Or was it just a case of not seeing a potential hazard that was in plain sight?

In one of his books on "Proficient Motorcycling", David L. Hough describes how we should constantly scan 12 seconds ahead in order to spot potential hazards and making small adjustments in speed or position to avoid danger. If you don`t already have his books, I encourage you, and all other riders, to get a copy and read a few pages every day. I`m sure you all will find something to concentrate on doing better each ride.
http://www.amazon.com/David-L.-Hough...ntt_dp_epwbk_0

I don`t recall who said that riding a motorcyle in traffic requires making as many descisions each minute as flying a modern fighter plane.

Stay alert and stay safe Mike.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 01:12 AM
1986 VN750

Garage
Really glad to hear that you're OK!

1986 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
NGK Iridium Plugs #7803/DPR7EIX-9
Duralast Gold ETX15 AGM Battery
Coastered & Shaved
TOC MCCTs
Metzeler ME880 [110/90-19, 170/80-15]
Balance Dampers Replaced
Tuxedo Mod
Rebuilt Forks w/ Progressive Springs
V&H Cruzers
VN750.com Grill Cover
Meanstreak Seat
Emgo 23-92411 Handlebars
MOSFET FH012AA R/R

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1998 Honda VFR800 FI

2014 Honda VFR800F

1989 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 01:24 AM
Drive less, ride more...

Thanks, OlHoss....you've set me up here.

Back in the June 2010 issue of Roadbike magazine, columnist David Hough (the same guy who also wrote the books OlHoss mentioned, above) wrote a piece about how street riding involves constantly anticipating what the nearby cagers might do, and positioning your bike so that, when the dumb move occurs, you simply are not in the way.

Some out there call this practice "situational awareness".

Re: headlamp modulators...I never promised that they (or anything else) works all the time, for this problem. But they sure do seem to help. I've seen a lot of drivers do a "double take" at me, and then actually stop. They're a great way to make your bike stand out from all the daytime running lights out there....

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 01:30 AM

Garage
Good deal, you made it! It doesn't hurt to lock up the rear brakes and see what happens, that way you know what happens when it does happen and it will!

Your helmet and a modultated headlight, that is a joke! You can be the brightest, loudest and biggest thing around, act as everyone is not able to see you at all times! There is NO helping you, you have to help yourself, be prepaired at all times!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement