When people DO see you - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

When people DO see you

Three times, that happened to me THREE TIMES yesterday on the way home!

So I'm riding home from Princeton to Clinton NJ. Route 22 is a nice scenic ride but it can be shady at times. Its a four lane separated by a thick grass median. U-turns are allowed were it's paved, about every 2 miles or so. So if you're in the right lane, you have people slowing down to make a right and in the left lane you have people turning onto the road. The speed limit is 55 though so people like to move at a pretty good clip, around 65. That's why it can get hairy.

So I'm in the left lane and see a car in oncoming about to make a u-turn. The lady looks right at me as I approach. She turns her head back the other way, I'm almost at her at this point, she looks back at me AGAIN and pulls out into my lane!!! She was all calm and nonchalant like it was nothing. Meanwhile I hammer on the breaks and brace my arms so I don't go over the handlebars. That happened 2 more times on the way home! One lady, entering from the right, made eye contact with me then cut me off!!!! EYE CONTACT!!!!! Not seeing us is one thing. AIMING for us is entirely different!! What the crap are these poeple doing!?!?!? ~Sigh~

Alright I'm over it, just a rant...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 11:20 AM

Just a normal days ride then
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 11:38 AM

Garage
I have had the same thing happen numerous times. for some reason their brain just doesn't register us as a vehicle.

One time I actually pulled up next to a guy and asked why he just pulled out in front of me like that, and he said he didn't see me. I said "you looked right at me and even made eye contact".......of coarse he denied it.

You learn to be very aware of what is going on around you...even anticipating what others are going to do by reading their posture and how they are driving....it has saved my butt numerous times.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 11:46 AM
Old Fart

Garage
There's no such thing as "eye contact" when you are riding. It may look to you like the driver is looking right at you... But in fact they are looking right through you.....

I always find it helps alot to weave back and forth a few times to make me stand out. If your headed right at them, they can't detect your movement well. But weave quickly side to side and their brain picks up the movement.

Saved my ass countless times so far......

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 12:20 PM

Do you expect more in NJ? Stop means yield, yield means GO and they don't see you because they don't look.. I get the same thing when I'm driving my car. It's a Miata and it's very small.. I'm convinced if someone around here is driving a bigger car then you they just say screw you and pull rank by size. The other day on 46 some jack @33 pulled in my lane.. I gave him a hand sign like WTF? (not the finger) I was about a foot from his rear bumper and he flipped my off.. So I know he saw me. I lived a a few states in the passed 20 years or so and never had as many close calls as I do here in a week.

1995 VN750 (SOLD)
05-06 CBR600 R/R
ACCT>MCCT mod
engine guard w/HW pegs
Tires, 230's (170/110)
Smaller blinkers
Driving lights
Pickup coil mod
Speedo delete
mirrors w/reverse mount
Black grips

2000 Buell X1 Lightning
Carbon fiber fender F&R
Carbon fiber fly screen
Carbon fiber race intake
Works Shock
V&H Muffler
SS headers

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 12:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
There's no such thing as "eye contact" when you are riding. It may look to you like the driver is looking right at you... But in fact they are looking right through you.....

I always find it helps alot to weave back and forth a few times to make me stand out. If your headed right at them, they can't detect your movement well. But weave quickly side to side and their brain picks up the movement.

Saved my ass countless times so far......
I am constantly weaving to avoid potholes and debris on the hiway anyway.....I just blend in well I guess...lol

I now have the driving lights installed with a thumb switch on the handlebars...I can flash them to be noticed.....but might piss of people who take that as "get out of the way so I can pass you"
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 12:43 PM

I have a headlight modulator and since installing it, I have had fewer of these types of encounters. Coincidence?.....I don't know, but I'm sticking with the modulator. When that fails, I blast em with my airhorns. BTW, I also have the brake light modulator and it seems that I have fewer people getting as close at a stoplight, again maybe coincidence but what ever you can do to make yourselt more conspicuous is a good thing.

Che

Purchased 7/03 w/13000 mi
Sold10/10 27,000miles
Ear shave
V&H Cruisers
Tim Parrott stator
R/R relocated
Iridium Plugs
AGM Battery
Splines lubed
Clear Alternative LED brake light
TOC mcct
Mutazu LN Hard saddlebags
Chad's floorboards
Current ride-2009 Honda VTX1300

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 02:59 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
i know this might start something,but i usually blip my throttle,because my pipes are louder than stock.i have heard all sorts of arguments about loud pipes saving lives,but i am a member of the club.i have had people look at me,start to pull out,then relize i am there when i pull in the clutch and rev it.the look is usually of "where did this motorcycle come from?"

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 03:10 PM
Captive New Yorker....

Send a message via AIM to peterherrm
Even though the stock horn sounds like a cartoon horn, I sometimes press it a few times through intersections. A lot of crazy drivers here in southern NY......

Pete Herrmann
1994 Vulcan 750 40K on the clock and counting....

Bought 4/2011 28k Miles,
New Rick's Motorsports R/R
Tim Parrot Stator
Tuxedo Mod
KAW Saddlebag/signal relocation brackets
NGK Iridium Plugs
TOC MCCT's
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 03:11 PM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyPilot View Post
Three times, that happened to me THREE TIMES yesterday on the way home!

So I'm riding home from Princeton to Clinton NJ. Route 22 is a nice scenic ride but it can be shady at times. Its a four lane separated by a thick grass median. U-turns are allowed were it's paved, about every 2 miles or so. So if you're in the right lane, you have people slowing down to make a right and in the left lane you have people turning onto the road. The speed limit is 55 though so people like to move at a pretty good clip, around 65. That's why it can get hairy.

So I'm in the left lane and see a car in oncoming about to make a u-turn. The lady looks right at me as I approach. She turns her head back the other way, I'm almost at her at this point, she looks back at me AGAIN and pulls out into my lane!!! She was all calm and nonchalant like it was nothing. Meanwhile I hammer on the breaks and brace my arms so I don't go over the handlebars. That happened 2 more times on the way home! One lady, entering from the right, made eye contact with me then cut me off!!!! EYE CONTACT!!!!! Not seeing us is one thing. AIMING for us is entirely different!! What the crap are these poeple doing!?!?!? ~Sigh~

Alright I'm over it, just a rant...
I had that happen to me twice within an hour in Princeton on Nassau St. early this season and it was the same woman. The second time I just had to pull up on her left side at the next traffic light and asked her if she knew me or she was working on a contract hit placed on me by someone else. She said she did not know me and didn't understand. When I asked why she would pull out in front of me two different times and force me to lock up my brakes potentially causing me to crash she said she thought I would be a gentleman. I explained that I would be a gentleman or whatever else she wanted but she would have to be a lady first. Both times there was no one behind me and it would only take about two seconds to let me pass by. She got very upset with my comment about her having to be a lady first and started to to verbally go off on me at that point. She was attractive and driving a big Navigator so I flipped down my visor and shook my head as I drove off. I am not sure what I would have done if she was a fat cow. I just figured the peroxide must have finally penetrated her skull and caused additional brain damage. Sometimes you just can't make this stuff up.

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement