New Helmet Technology : part 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Old Fart

Garage
New Helmet Technology : part 2

New ideas are always good:

http://www.gizmag.com/mips-helmet-te...m_medium=email

The article also links two other technologies you can read about.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 12:29 PM

Garage
pretty cool stuff! you wouldn't think a helmet would need so much research and engineering since it looks so simple.

I am just waiting for the Heads Up Display built in the visor of a helmet with blue tooth linking the bike and the HUD, so I can access the back up camera and blind spot cameras while I am on the phone or listening to music
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2dgq View Post
pretty cool stuff! you wouldn't think a helmet would need so much research and engineering since it looks so simple.

I am just waiting for the Heads Up Display built in the visor of a helmet with blue tooth linking the bike and the HUD, so I can access the back up camera and blind spot cameras while I am on the phone or listening to music
You can make your own it seems:
http://m.lifehacker.com/5648147/diy-...helmet-display

Reevu makes a helmet with a rear view mirror system. There is a comPany that makes a heads up display....but it only gives you bike data and radar detection.

They make BT that handles music and phone. I would have concern over how much info one gets while riding though.......

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 01:38 PM

Garage
gee...and I was just being sarcastic.

I don't need any of that when on the bike.....I enjoy riding because I get away from the ringing phone and I have these things called mirrors to see behind me. Besides that, my neck rotates from side to side...lol

I enjoy the sound of the engine in place of music. I don't want to be distracted in any way when I am on the interstate. There are plenty of other distracted drivers for me to worry about.

All in all...it never ceases to amaze me the crap people will install on cars and bikes that really don't NEED. The helmet technology on the other hand is something I agree with.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 07:32 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

KM, while reading the article about the MIPS helmet I was trying to remember what the helmet was called that you posted about a couple of years ago with the flexible "skin" on the outside.
Then they provide a link to it. Lazer SuperSkin:
http://www.gizmag.com/lazer-superskin-helmet/14345/
Interesting concepts and two different ways to acheive similar results.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 03-07-2012 at 07:35 PM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Old Fart

Garage
Yes, same company, but different link. Original thread:
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9844

(3 years old now...)

After watching the videos, I'm very impressed with the concept. My question of course is why we are not seeing this excepted more and offered by more helmet makers.

I guess the mind set is just , "well, you are at least wearing a helmet to start with, so you're better off than those that don't"

I don't like going with "good enough" design. I want "best possible". The problem here is perhaps exceptance in the helmet industry. That and likely insufficient data on brain trauma from accidents involving riders that were wearing approved helmets.

We recently had some of the complaints addressed on the various helmet testing codes, resulting with a change in getting SNELL to echo more of the European rating methods. I can only hope that I don't have to wait many more years to see the various technologies showcased in this thread to become more mainstream.

KM

Last edited by Knifemaker; 03-07-2012 at 08:28 PM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 05:38 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Interesting. I like the prospective aspects of such a helmet, but cost woulld prevent me from ever owning one. I wear full face helmets priced around $100, and would not be willing to spend several hundred on a helmet.

As for the idea of putting speakers in helmets, I don't know why this is still even being discussed. Someone goes out and buys a super expensive helmet, supposedly for better protection, but usually more as a status symbol, then put speakers in it, and connects them to an iPod, radio, or worse yet, a cell phone, thus drastically increasing the chances they will have an accident. I sure hope that helmet works, they are likely to need it. I ride for the ride, and 100% of my attention is focused on riding and what is going on around me. maybe that is why I have never crashed.

As for a HUD, would you really want something like that distracting you AND interfering with your vision? I wouldn't. You need to be looking at what is going on around you. You can take a fraction of a second to glance at the instruments once in a while, when you feel it is safe to do so, but nothing on the instruments is nearly as important as that truck that is about to pull out in front of you. Mirrors belong on the bike, not the helmet. Cyclists put mirrors on their helmets because it is the "in" thing, and they wouldn't dare ruin the looks of their $3000 bike by putting a mirror on it. Cycling seems to be more about image than anything else. For that matter, so is motorcycling, especially cruising. It's all about "looking the part" But I draw the line when it comes to safety. And nobody on a Vulcan 750 is going to look the part anyway.

back in 1981, when the Hurt Report was released, there were (fortunately) no such things as speakers in helmets. Also a large number of the fatalities were riders who were not wearing helmets. But I suspect that had such things as helmet speakers, cell phones, and HUDs been available back then, riders using such helmets would have been vastly overrepresented in overall crashes, even if the helmets saved them. Listening to music or using a cell phone is fine, just don't do it while riding.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Old Fart

Garage
Well, they have had com systems for bikes since the 70's and helmet speakers showed up after the first small headphones hit the market.

I had a "walkman" type tape player and in helmet speakers back in 1979.
(This was the same year Sony came out with the Walkman cassette player in Japan, which didn't hit the US till 1980. The unit I had was big, heavy but sounded great) oddly, I never had an accident either and been listening to music on a bike since then till today.

As for being a "distraction"... Most of this off thread discussion can be found here: https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20744

A "heads up display" is by design safer than looking down at your instruments.. That is if you can believe all the testing done by the Air Force on it.

Again, I'm sure there are riders that lack the ability to safely pilot their bike and listen to music. But saying it's unsafe for everyone ...just because YOU lack that ability is just wrong.

All of us have brains, and being able to use them to make choices in our safety is one off their functions. If your not smart enough to make good choices then sure, bad thngs can happen. Drinking and driving is a bad choice. Trying to text while driving would be one Hurt could have added to the list as another had texting existed then. But they had CB's on bikes, and I don't remember anything about that in the Report.

i don't talk on the Phone while riding through the city. But if I'm just cruising down a pretty empty highway , droning along mile after mile, music is distracting me from what? Talking to a passenger or someone on the phone is only distracting me from the boredom. I wouldn't take a call in rush hour, but in the middle of nowhere with a 2 mile view of no threats front and back I would. This is what's called using your brain.

I have no concerns over MY distraction, only on the ones in the cars and trucks around me.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 07:01 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

"Again, I'm sure there are riders that lack the ability to safely pilot their bike and listen to music. But saying it's unsafe for everyone ...just because YOU lack that ability is just wrong."

That's kind of like saying it is unsafe to remove one throttle cable, or remove the sidestand and clutch safety switches, or ride a bike without abs. It may indeed be unsafe for some, but it is not unsafe for me. I have ridden many old bikes that had a lot of things wrong with them. But I have never had an accident. I think the main reasons are skill, experience, luck, AND paying attention to what I am doing, which on a beater bike means also being aware of it's shortcomings.

And as a former pilot, I can tell you that flying is a LOT different than riding. You are pretty much up there by yourself. (no, I have not flown in combat), but on a bike, you are completely surrounded by danger. I would not want one square cm of my face shield obstructed. I carry a rag and Windex to remove large bugs. I especially wouldn't want information displayed on my face shield, and basically being forced to look at it. Instruments are not really important in town, keep your attention on what is going on around you. If you find a clear spot, glance at the instruments if you feel you need to, then back to whats going on around you. I have driven one car with a HUD, and while I thought it was kind of neat in a science fiction sort of way, I also found it disconcerting to have it right in my field of vision.

It will most likely be that one thing that you don't see or hear that gets you. Paranoid? You bet. If you are not paranoid when you ride, especially in town, you are an accident waiting to happen. Actually just the act of riding a bike in traffic probably qualifies you for that. I do what works for me, and for the past 36 years and almost half a million miles, it HAS worked very well for me.

I don't have much of a problem with those communicator devices that allow you to talk to a passenger, or even other riders in a group. I have had and used CB's and amateur radios in a number of vehicles without a problem, though they were all cars/trucks. There is a BIG difference in those and cell phones. I know that from experience. I installed a cell phone in my car back in 1987. It was a big box I put under the seat, with the handset mounted under the dash in a cradle. After a short time and a couple of close calls, I quickly realized how dangerous it was. Since getting a handheld phone, In had one more close call. It rang, I picked it up and started to answer it, then dropped it on the floor. I started to reach down and get it, when I saw the red light out of the corner of my eye. I sat up and braked hard, narrowly avoiding running it. That was that. Lesson learned. My employer has a "no tolerance" policy about using cell phones while driving company vehicles. It doesn't matter whether it is your phone or theirs, if you get caught, you get fired. Period. No second chances.

As for music, I often listen to music in cars, even loud music. But it is always on a CD or tape, and it is always something I've already heard many times, so there is nothing in it that is likely to startle or distract me. I don't listen to a radio, because it is to easy to focus on what someone on a radio is saying, and lose concentration on your driving.

But to me, riding is riding. When riding out on the open road, which is mostly what I do, I tend to think about things rather than listening to music or a radio. It is MY time, and I want to be alone. And just like someone can listen to music and ride, I can think about things besides riding, and still ride safely. I do not, however, suggest doing that in town, which is kind of like riding through a mine field.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Old Fart

Garage
^ lengthy read which could have been put in the other thread

So you agree. Some folks can do things some might find more dangerous then they are to them.

No one has handheld phones on a bike. Your phone is in your pocket or saddlebag but wirelessly pared to earphones and the mic in your helmet...absolutely no difference from the riders standpoint than an intercom with a passenger. As I said, you do need to use your head as to when it's safe to talk... No matter who your going to talk to.

The HUD system they have for helmets takes up a 1 inch by 3/4 inch part of the upper part of hour visor. My concern only would be is the display focused for long range vision or do you have to re-focus to see it. The main display gives rpms , speed, and one other input. I agree I don't need to see the gauges this way, but many use it for their radar detector warning, which might be helpful if not distracting.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement