CNN Helmet Poll - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Rider on the Storm

Garage
CNN Helmet Poll

State laws about motorcycle helmets are exceedingly controversial, as the threads on this site bear ample witness.

You may be interested to know that today's CNN online poll question is this: "Should motorcyclists be required to wear helmets?" As of this moment, over 60,000 votes have been cast: 77% say yes; 23% say no. (As always, it is noted that "This is not a scientific poll.")

Anecdotally: Yesterday I rode a 100-mile circuit (mostly on randomly-chosen country roads and blue highways) from Cincinnati to Brookville Lake in Indiana and back via Oxford, OH. It was a beautiful Fourth of July, and motorcycles (mostly cruisers) were everywhere. And most of the riders were NOT wearing helmets.

EZC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 11:43 AM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

were is the link? I'd like to vote! I'd vote "NO"! it's riders choice! although I do feel everyone who rides should wear a helmet, BUT I don't feel it should be required by law!

if it goes vroom or boom, I LIKE IT!
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 11:47 AM
Giggity!

Garage
That is interesting. I bet it was mostly non-riders that said we should wear helmets (weather your for it or against it) After all, it is law in Ohio now you have to wear a seatbelt in a cage.

I still think that should be my choice.

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 12:44 PM
Banned

Up here in Rochester, NY I see a lot of different types of riders. I see the Harley riders with the tee shirt, shorts, and novelty helmet. The younger crowd seems to favor the same gear with the exception of a full face helmet. There are very few people with proper riding gear on, IMHO. That doesn't mean we need more laws to protect us from ourselves. You can't legistrate common sense.
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dariv View Post
Up here in Rochester, NY I see a lot of different types of riders. I see the Harley riders with the tee shirt, shorts, and novelty helmet. The younger crowd seems to favor the same gear with the exception of a full face helmet. There are very few people with proper riding gear on, IMHO. That doesn't mean we need more laws to protect us from ourselves. You can't legistrate common sense.
I noticed that yesterday when I was cruising around Orleans and Niagara counties. Shorts sleevless shirts and sneakers seemed to be the preferred riding gear. Tons of non-DOT helmets. I might look stupid in my leather when its 85 out but its vented very well and I'm partial to my skin. I'm surprised how many people get away with those "novelty" helmets the way NYS Troopers are always lurking around every corner looking for revenue. Should really be the riders choice. Did you hear about the guy in the Southern Tier this weekend who was protest riding with no helmet, crashed and died?
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 01:09 PM

Why don't people wear helmets?

Because of all the dumb asses out there that are afraid to wear a helmet because it might not be 'cool'... and their friends might make fun of them.

It only shows how much of a 'follower' they are.

Stupid is, as stupid does.

I'm not sure about forcing helmets with law, but buying a helmet is an added expense for those just starting out, and without being required, can be enough of a deterrent to keep them from wearing one. Once they get in the habit of not wearing one, that becomes their 'norm'. If they had to buy one starting off, then they might get used to wearing one.

I believe the movie star Nick Nolte used to protest against helmet laws... until he busted his gourd and got a head injury. After that, he protested FOR helmet laws.

Same thing with seat belts. People do NOT like change. Once they get in the habit if NOT wearing one, it's hard for them to get used to it. Nowadays, since it's been mandated, people are used to it, and they've saved untold numbers of lives. Same thing with car seats.

Unless I'm just putting a dirt bike around the yard, I always wear a helmet. I worked with a guy who got a head injury on a 4-wheeler. Messed him up for life. Couldn't do his job, anymore... and left him running at around half his mental capacity. I'm sure he's on full disability right now, drawing tax dollars.

05 VN750
Iridium Plugs
Spline Lubed front/rear
ignition pickups gapped
AGM Battery
Relocated MOSFET R/R
Coaster Mod
Pilot Screws at 2-1/4 turns
Slipstreamer S-08 Windshield
F&S Saddlebags/Mounts
Luggage Rack
12V Outlet
Mustang Seat
sissy bar
Oversized Pirelli Front Tire
6k miles

PW50, XR50, TTR90, XR100, DT175 (2-smoker), CRF230F, XR250R (dual sported), XR400R 4 KIDS, LOL!

1966 mustang street/strip
4-speed, nitrous
[email protected] 135.6
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 01:44 PM

I wear a helmet but don't really get into the debate one way or the other. One plus side is that supposedly it cracks down on folks stealing bikes for joy rides since folks looking to steal a ride don't usually carry a helmet with them.
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 01:50 PM
gun slinger

Garage
I would say "no" it's my choice! But if they say you are required by law to use a brain bucket then I would because "law abiding citizens "follow the laws right?

2010' voyager

2005 1600 nomad sold

1987 kawasaki vulcan 750 SOLD

1985 kawasaki vulcan 700 parts bike maybe
lots of hand guns
3 cagers doors kicked in
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 02:42 PM
Old Fart

Garage
If you can scrape the money together to buy a bike, you can save up to buy a helmet too... So don't give the "I'm poor " speech unless the bike is the only transportation you own...

Most bikes are secondary vehicles... Meaning their owners also have a car or truck.

Many dealers give you a discount on a helmet if you are buying a bike from them. If you plan to buy a bike, work in the price of gear beforehand.

And as shocking as it might be to some of you, if it came to asking me to vote on having a helmet law in my state, I'd vote to make helmets mandatory.

Government involvement aside here.... I could not in good conscious tell anyone they don't have to wear a helmet. If you told your son he didn't have to wear a helmet because it's "legal" in your state, how would you feel if he died from a head injury?

I get tired of reading about folks using the "freedom of choice" arguement, when they seem to have a double standard on it if it's one of their kids......

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
If you can scrape the money together to buy a bike, you can save up to buy a helmet too... So don't give the "I'm poor " speech unless the bike is the only transportation you own...

Most bikes are secondary vehicles... Meaning their owners also have a car or truck.

Many dealers give you a discount on a helmet if you are buying a bike from them. If you plan to buy a bike, work in the price of gear beforehand.

And as shocking as it might be to some of you, if it came to asking me to vote on having a helmet law in my state, I'd vote to make helmets mandatory.

Government involvement aside here.... I could not in good conscious tell anyone they don't have to wear a helmet. If you told your son he didn't have to wear a helmet because it's "legal" in your state, how would you feel if he died from a head injury?

I get tired of reading about folks using the "freedom of choice" arguement, when they seem to have a double standard on it if it's one of their kids......
We are not your kids. You can't preface something by saying "government involvement aside here" and go on to aspouse government involvement. We are not the government's kids either. If you want your kids to wear a helmet tell them to.
That being said I won't ride without one. I've crashed dirt bikes way too many times and know you always hit your head when you crash a bike. However, freedom means the freedom to be stupid as long as it's not effecting someone else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement