MSNBC: NY motorcyclist dies on ride protesting helmet law - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cedar Grove, NC
Posts: 431
iTrader: (0)
 
MSNBC: NY motorcyclist dies on ride protesting helmet law

This guy really took ownership for his cause You can't fix stupid.

MSNBC: NY motorcyclist dies on ride protesting helmet law

I feel sorry for the EMS personnel that had to scrape his brains off the road.
km60155 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 05:38 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Simpsonville, SC
Posts: 1,620
iTrader: (8)
 
I don't see how being opposed to the laws of an ever more oppressive government makes one 'stupid.' Wearing a helmet may be a good idea, and may have saved this guy's life, we can't say for sure. Many believe, as this man did, that wearing a helmet should be an individual's choice. Perhaps on this eve of Independence Day, we should seek a bit of that sense of inalienable freedom in our own lives. You don't have to go out and do something you think is 'stupid', but do you really believe the government should be telling you to wear a helmet, buckle-up, what light bulbs you can use, and how much water you can use in a single flush? I applaud anyone with the balls to go out and thumb their nose at an over reaching government.
Unfortunately, this accident was a tragic irony....
dariv is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 05:47 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs
 
denny6006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: InezKY pop.600
Posts: 5,236
iTrader: (9)
     
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dariv View Post
I don't see how being opposed to the laws of an ever more oppressive government makes one 'stupid.' Wearing a helmet may be a good idea, and may have saved this guy's life, we can't say for sure. Many believe, as this man did, that wearing a helmet should be an individual's choice. Perhaps on this eve of Independence Day, we should seek a bit of that sense of inalienable freedom in our own lives. You don't have to go out and do something you think is 'stupid', but do you really believe the government should be telling you to wear a helmet, buckle-up, what light bulbs you can use, and how much water you can use in a single flush? I applaud anyone with the balls to go out and thumb their nose at an over reaching government.
Unfortunately, this accident was a tragic irony....
Well said,nothing to add.




If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot



Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
denny6006 is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cedar Grove, NC
Posts: 431
iTrader: (0)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dariv View Post
I don't see how being opposed to the laws of an ever more oppressive government makes one 'stupid.'
No, you are making this political for some weird reason. Newsflash... It's not always about politics. This guy is a complete idiot because he died from a head injury while riding his motorcycle, during a protest against helmet laws. It doesn't get any better than that.

And if you want to talk about freedom, don't forget all the people that got backed up in traffic waiting for coroner to arrive, the volunteer firefighters that got pulled from their holiday parties, just to get all the pieces of this guy dumped in a bag, when he probably could have kept it all together with a simple piece of dome-shaped plastic, the same brain bucket that he was protesting.
km60155 is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 07:30 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Simpsonville, SC
Posts: 1,620
iTrader: (8)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by km60155 View Post
No, you are making this political for some weird reason.
It was a protest of the helmet law. Laws are made by politicians. Hence, laws are by their very definition 'political' in nature. That's not a "weird reason" to connect them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by km60155 View Post
Newsflash... It's not always about politics. This guy is a complete idiot because he died from a head injury while riding his motorcycle, during a protest against helmet laws. It doesn't get any better than that.
The fact that you say, "It doesn't get any better than that" about a guy who died in a tragic motorcycle accident is a little disturbing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by km60155 View Post
And if you want to talk about freedom, don't forget all the people that got backed up in traffic waiting for coroner to arrive, the volunteer firefighters that got pulled from their holiday parties, just to get all the pieces of this guy dumped in a bag, when he probably could have kept it all together with a simple piece of dome-shaped plastic, the same brain bucket that he was protesting.
Umm, what? So if he was wearing a helmet when he got in the accident, traffic wouldn't have backed up? Paramedics and firemen wouldn't have attended the scene? Non sequitur, your logic doesn't follow. Oh, and since you have thrown out the word 'protest' a couple times allow me to define it for you; a 'protest' is by it's nature political. A demonstration to elicit public awareness and support to your cause or belief..... and by so doing, pressure a change in government policy.
dariv is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 10:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 119
iTrader: (0)
 
Its sad that he died. Very sad. If he was wearing a helmet they say he probably would have lived. I believe its a personal choice when you ride in a state that doesn't require wearing a helmet. Personally, I never ride without one and I live in CT where we don't have a helmet law. Around here its is very common to see t-shirts, flip flops, shorts, nobody wears helmets and when there is an accident its usually fatal.
jgcable is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 10:48 PM
Love My Baby
 
rubyrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Hollywood, Florida
Posts: 1,165
iTrader: (1)
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dariv View Post
....do you really believe the government should be telling you to wear a helmet, buckle-up, what light bulbs you can use, and how much water you can use in a single flush? I applaud anyone with the balls to go out and thumb their nose at an over reaching government.
Well stated. If the government didn't over-reach into our personal lives so much, we could live with an occasional intrusion and might assume that there must be some overwhelming and legitimate reason for doing so. But they are addicted to regulating us, spending our money (often in very wasteful ways) and exempting themselves from the laws they put in place over us. Both parties do it but particularly the Democrats feel they need to constantly tax and regulate us in order for them to achieve their agenda. No wonder people protest against every little thing they try to do.

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light
Cortech mini tank bag on rear rack
Pirelli MT66 Tires: 110 front / 150 rear
Splines lubed when tires installed at 10,650 miles
Splines lubed again at 14,400 with stubby valve stem install

Place your mouse on the X below and drag to the O

X
Even though you can't see Him, GOD is there! O
rubyrick is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 08:17 PM
Old Fart
 
Knifemaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Catawissa, MO
Posts: 11,630
iTrader: (4)
     
Garage
Thread on this already posted here:
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18971

I'm still laughing at this..... Although appologise to the family of the deceased...sorry, can't help it.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Knifemaker is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Once registered, your User Name"cannot be changed". We can make exceptions within 7 days, but after that, it is set in stone.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome