Riding in Extreme Heat - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Riding in Extreme Heat

So I live in Houston, which is known for high temperatures and ludicrous humidity, especially during the spring and summer. It's come to the point where I feel I can only ride during the evening, simply because it's nearly unbearable otherwise.

Here's the problem: Fully geared (black helmet, black leather jacket, black gloves, black boots, etc.), it's extremely uncomfortable to ride. It's just too bloody hot.

After a 30 minute ride I come back and do a 'cool down' run without any gear just up and down my quiet neighborhood streets a few times, and it's absolutely phenomenal.

Is there a way to combine the protection of gearing up with the comfort and 'openness' of riding without gear?

There has to be a solution.

/noob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 01:53 PM

Have you tried any of the mesh riding jackets?

I can do the helmet, gloves, boots and long pants in the spring and summer. But a t-shirt is hot enough. Yeah, not any protection at all, but I like it.

Global warming? So what if my kids never see a polar bear. I never saw a dinosaur and I'm ok.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootergptx View Post
Have you tried any of the mesh riding jackets?

I can do the helmet, gloves, boots and long pants in the spring and summer. But a t-shirt is hot enough. Yeah, not any protection at all, but I like it.
I haven't, mostly because I'm a vain imbecile and think they would look silly on a cruiser rider.

I actually think that the helmet bothers me the most. It's just a huge contrast in enjoyment between riding without one and riding with one...really frustrating.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 02:33 PM

Yeah I know what you mean, I hate wearing my helmet but know I should. I have a half shell I wear when its hot out, I also switch to my leather vest and shorty gloves. I will admit though if I get to hot in 98 degree weather the helmet comes off. Id rather not get heat exhaustion....delerious conditions are obviously not safe. Another thing to look for: I got one of those silly scarf things you let soak in water for about 45 minutes then it stays cool for two days...when wrapped around your neck it actually helps cool because it cools the circulating blood a bit...definately helps for hot riding conditions.

86 Vn750
Coastered
De-Goated
Ears shaved
"Custom Pipes"
"Custom Seat"
Apes
Stator Mod
Malteese led Turn Signals (Rear)
Paid 750.00$ for her in 2005 w/ 9k
Currently @ 23k and counting
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 02:39 PM

I have to take a few days off from wearing my gloves on the ride home. The tan arms an suddenly white hands are starting to become really noticeable.

Global warming? So what if my kids never see a polar bear. I never saw a dinosaur and I'm ok.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 02:55 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

You can get mesh jacket and pants in black if you want to look like a "cruiser guy". I started out that way. Older and wiser, I'm now in the process of getting a white mesh outfit. Yeah, it shows dirt real fast, but it is more comfortable than black. I don't give a hoot about what other folks think; I'm the one sweating.

I have a windshield and at speeds under 60 mph, usually ride with the visor of my FF helmet open. Really don't have any problems with the heat, but there aren't many stops where I ride.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 03:57 PM
Giggity!

Garage
Mesh jackets are great. I bought a couple for my wife & I. mine even came with a rain liner (just in case). I guess I don't mind the sporty look on a cruiser. To each their own.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitecontrol View Post
I have a windshield and at speeds under 60 mph, usually ride with the visor of my FF helmet open. Really don't have any problems with the heat, but there aren't many stops where I ride.
Even with my windshield off, on the ride home in the evenings I have the visor up. Got a pair of tinted safety glasses for the eyes. If I come up to conctruction area with lots of dust, or people cutting their lawns, I'll flip it down. Even with all vents open, it gets hot fast.

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 04:57 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

I don`t have to deal with temperatures like you folks down south do, but I am looking for a white helmet instead of the flat black one I currently have.
Firstly for the Hi Visibility safety factor, and second to reflect as much heat as possible in summer weather.

I second the idea of wearing mesh jacket and pants.

The neck coolers work pretty good for walking or hiking, but don`t evaporate water fast enough to be really effective at 60 mph in 100*F temps. A bandana and a bottle of water that you can re-wet it with every few minutes is more effective.

Cooling jackets that you soak in water every hour or so are also available.

Riding more than a few minutes in temps higher than 99*, without a helmet, jacket and gloves can leave you more suseptible to heat exhaustion than if you wear it.

Trying to ride long distances without them is slow suicide IMHO.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 07:24 PM

A big key to doing anything in the hot temps is hydration before you go. And not just right before. In the afternoon I'll drink 2 or 3 bottles of water. When the temps are cool, and occasionally cold, I wouldn't have had those.\

Also helps to have a nice frosty adult beverage at the house, for when you do get home.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement