PLEASE be careful!!! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

PLEASE be careful!!!

I hadn't seen my neighbor who rides a CBR outside her garage in a while. I hit her up last night to see if she's ok - she's not. She hit a deer in the middle of the road while riding her bike. Multiple broken bones including 2 broken legs, lacerated liver, puntured right lung, and she lost a kidney. She's got a 4 year old daughter at home too. The doctor's "hopeful" but we won't know if she'll pull through until after surgery. PLEASE watch for deer fellas and always always always stay heads up out there.

My other neighbor and friend also rides a CBR and they would ride together. I usually decline the invitation because of the type of riding they do. They ride pretty crazy, my buddy told me yesterday he "had it up to a buck 40" and he pops wheelies and all sorts of other stuff. He told me one time he did a long wheely and the mother that got hurt told him "he has mad skills." They idolize that type or riding. My buddy told me last night after he heard the news he thinks he's done riding. I don't know if that's true yet but I hope this serves to at least slow him down some and quit the stunt riding. I hope she pulls through...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 09:22 AM

I'm definitely installing a deer whistle on my bike..have them on both cagers. They aren't a 100%..but they help. Lots of deer around here and most folks just blow past and don't even worry about them. I always drive slower around "deer-thirty" and pay very close attention.

Hope your neighbor pulls through ok!!

New rider/mechanic of '85 VN700 Vulcan. (25k miles)

Link to bike restoration blog:
http://trailofthewolf.blogspot.com/s...%20Restoration
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 09:33 AM
Drive less, ride more...

I think it goes like this..."there are brave riders, and there are old riders, but there are very, very few old, brave riders"

I have the powered deer whistle on my bike. I've never had a close call with a deer since I've installed it, but then...that doesn't necessarily mean it works.

My best "life flashing in front of me" moment with a deer came near downtown Dawson, GA after dark one November, while heading east on US hwy 82. I missed a full grown buck by what must have been (at most) a few feet..... Very, very scary stuff.

Stories like this drive home the other saying, "dress for the crash--not the ride"....

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 10:43 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Every independant test I have read on the effectiveness of "deer whistles" shows that the only thing they do is separate you from your hard earned cash.

One test on an "electronic deer repelant" actually showed that it attracted deer towards the road.

Yet some still insist they work. I have a charm on my keyring that is supposed to protect me from snake bites, attacks by lions and tigers, and keep hyenas off my scent. In the last 40 years I have yet to be mauled by a lion....so I guess the charm must work.

I just avoid riding at night...or early dawn and dusk. My Vulcan had halogen driving lights, and if caught out somewhere in those prime deer times, I could move my right driving light to point off to the right side of the road... to help see any movement there.

Deer can come out and bite you no matter how you ride, even the most careful paranoid rider has had impacts with these large forest rats.
roadpouring likes this.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 01:05 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyPilot View Post
I hadn't seen my neighbor who rides a CBR outside her garage in a while. I hit her up last night to see if she's ok - she's not. She hit a deer in the middle of the road while riding her bike. Multiple broken bones including 2 broken legs, lacerated liver, puntured right lung, and she lost a kidney. She's got a 4 year old daughter at home too. The doctor's "hopeful" but we won't know if she'll pull through until after surgery. PLEASE watch for deer fellas and always always always stay heads up out there.

My other neighbor and friend also rides a CBR and they would ride together. I usually decline the invitation because of the type of riding they do. They ride pretty crazy, my buddy told me yesterday he "had it up to a buck 40" and he pops wheelies and all sorts of other stuff. He told me one time he did a long wheely and the mother that got hurt told him "he has mad skills." They idolize that type or riding. My buddy told me last night after he heard the news he thinks he's done riding. I don't know if that's true yet but I hope this serves to at least slow him down some and quit the stunt riding. I hope she pulls through...
I hope she makes a solid recovery.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 02:36 AM
Drive less, ride more...

Now that we're all scared stupid about the threat of deer, I thought I would offer some suggestions on what I've done to address this problem. I don't propose that any of the following are bulletproof solutions, as deer are very erratic creatures. But used in the right combination, they can help stack the deck back in your favor somewhat, I think.....

1) If you ride with any frequency in what is a deer-prone or deer-infested area, you have another great excuse to add some serious lighting to the front of your bike. If your bike looks more like a freight train (or a tractor trailer) coming than a lone flashlight, you are easier to see (and thus, avoid)--and that works (at least to some extent) for deer, too. Also: serious candlepower on the front of your bike makes it easier for you to see motion off to the sides of your bike sooner. For aux driving lights, opt for more of a wide-beam pattern, instead of a "pencil" beam.

2) If you find yourself unable to avoid a deer infested area while on your bike, especially during low-visibility conditions, don't be shy about using your bike's horn(s) intermittently. One could always argue that you could just as easily scare a deer into running in front of you with your horn, but I'd say the odds overall are against this--they should run away from a sound like that, in general.

3) Of course, another tactic in deer-prone areas is to ride at a slower speed than normal, and cover your brakes (especially the front brake). Don't over-ride you bike's headlamps, either (i.e., at night). Probably the very hardest thing here is to try to avoid a panic situation (if you do see deer close by), but lock the brakes up, and (as a result) have a crash anyway from the resulting (high-side or low-side) skid. Thus, plan ahead by practicing your braking skills from higher and higher speeds--until you are comfortable stopping quickly without locking either brake.

4) Trying to keep tailgaters off is important anytime--but is especially so in more deer-prone areas. Nothing is worse than the need to stop very quickly, with "Bubba" basically already able to polish your back fender. When & where possible....slow down, let the tailgaters go on by, and then ride behind them. Using other vehicles as a "front door" is never really a bad idea in this situation or at night, anyway. Of course, if you are behind a cager, be sure and adjust your high beam lights and following distance as appropriate.

5) At the risk of stating the painfully obvious...if you see flashing or twinkling pairs of lights from either side of the road (or a ditch)--assume it is a deer and SLOW DOWN!!! A single deer is usually followed by other deer, so assume there are others behind that one, and adjust your speed and position (or even stop, if the situation justifies it) to give yourself some distance.

6) If you do hit a deer, and you go down--then the only protection you have is of course whatever you are wearing at that time. So....evaluate what your protective gear is...and ask yourself, is it really enough to avoid a serious face or head injury, road rash, etc? Then, upgrade as your finances will permit.

I don't think riding at night is something that one should avoid entirely, as this has its own unique experiences and rewards. Here in the deep south, riding at night is one of the best times to ride during the peak summer months--for obvious reasons. But to properly manage the risks, you & your bike need to be properly equipped for it.

Anyway, I hope some of the above will help others ride more safely where deer and other nocturnal varmints also like to do their thing.....

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 03:11 AM

i hope she pulls thru, i will say a prayer for her

DRAGONRIDER
RIDE LONG AND RIDE SAFE
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 08:30 AM
Old Fart

Garage
To clarify this some, I do not "avoid" riding at night solely because of the local deer infestation. There are several other reasons I shun night riding, deer just tip the scales enough for me to put nocturnal outings on my list of things not to get involved with.

Living near a big city in the subberbs, traffic is fairly busy all evening. After 5 you have the "Happy Hour" crowd, the dinner crowd, the mid evening bar crowd, and the "done drinking" crowd. ALL of which have one thing in common....drinking booze.

If your visibility is lessened at night, so is everyone else's. Some of these clowns can't see me in my bright yellow gear during the day...so odds are I am even more invisible at night.

So a bunch of blind drunks, ongoing traffic , various furry animals along with deer, coupled by my own inability to see in the dark, kinda makes riding at night a dangerous prospect to me.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 08:58 AM
Member? ... check.

Garage
Thanks for the reminder LP. Hope your neighbor pulls through.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 09:14 AM
Late to the party

I live in a fairly highly deer populated area and have had deer whistles on my other vehicles before. The best I could tell was it made the deer look up briefly and pause to do so. In that "window" I could seem to see them more readily by the reflection of my headlights in their eyes - but then they took off and headed in any unpredictable, at least by me, direction. If you don't pick them up in that brief moment then you are back where you started, or even startled them to move. So it seemed to be pretty much questionable as to whether they were really useful. All in all though to a vigilant rider deer seem to be a less a threat than the typical clueless four wheel driver which seem to be most of them.

'05 VN750 - "Cookie"
My Gallery

Sponsored Links
Advertisement