Local rider and passenger die in crash Sunday - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Linkmeister Supreme

Local rider and passenger die in crash Sunday

There were two fatalities in a motorcycle crash yesterday afternoon about 5 miles from my home. The names of a man aged 46 and his wife age 45 were just released on the TV news, but I did not know them.

A member of the local bike forum is the author of the following report. Note that even though there was an SUV that turned left in front of the bike, the rider made some poor decisions positioning himself too close to the center divider so that neither he nor the cage driver were clearly visible to each other. This is an odd intersection with a left turn lane on a 2 lane road that has divider with 4 or 5' tall posts with large reflector boards attached that are the root cause of the limited visibility in this accident.

Quote:
It is very common for riders to instantly blame the cager for any event involving a motorcycle.

In this instance witnesses have stated that the bike, (a late model Harley bagger) was traveling at an excessive speed.
The bike was in the far left of the his lane, along the center guardrail (heading south on Hwy 25) at the corner of Hwy 25, and the left turn lane, to access hwy 3 towards Coalhurst.
There were extremely strong easterly wind gusts at the time.
Because of the position of the bike, visibility for both the SUV, and the bike was limited.
The bike did not see the SUV, there were no skid marks to indicate braking.
The bike hit the very center of the front of the SUV.

It is very important to ride defensively.
This means in this instance the bike should be in the far right of his lane to offer the best visibility for himself, and to see any oncoming traffic, particularly where there is a left turn lane.

I was there immediately after the event.
I did not recognize the bike as anyone I knew.
Many of you know the driver of the SUV, he is a fellow rider, who takes great pains to drive/ride defensively.
Many of us are relatively new riders and it would be easy to make the same kind of mistakes regarding not positioning yourself in the lane to be most visible to other drivers. Take the time to educate yourself and think about the best lane positions for different situations. Generally speaking, you are safest and most visible when you are positioned farthest away from a potential danger approaching from one side of the road or the other.

Stay safe and keep scanning continually folks.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 09:43 PM
Patriot Guard Rider

Pegs Down _/\_

1986 Black Kawasaki Vulcan VN750 "Black KAWK"
VN750 #9300 & VROC #33453

EMGO Handlebar, V&H Exhaust, Drop Shocks, Raised/Painted Fork, MeanStreak Seat, Tank Bib, ME880 Oversize Tires, Engine Guard, Custom Mirrors, Chris Products Turn Signals, Ear Shave, 150/42 Jets, PINGEL Fuel Valve, MCCT, Volt Meter, Shendegen R/R, AGM Battery, Coastered, .020 Coils, Relo Gauges & Headlamp, SilverStar Ultra, LED Flashing Brake Light, Center Stand Delete, WOLO Airhorn.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 10:20 PM
Big Dumb Viking

Send a message via AIM to asbrand Send a message via MSN to asbrand Send a message via Yahoo to asbrand
What is a "Harley Bagger"?

Sorry to hear about another rider down though...

-Az
http://www.asbrand.com

1989 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

Upgrades so Far:
Coastered
R/R relocated
Analog Voltmeter
PFIII Windshield
RAM GPS Mount w/Garmin GPS
Cigarette Lighter Power Adapter
Saddlemen's Classic Explorer Seat
Pro-Tac Driver's Backrest
LED Tail Light
LED Rear Turn Signals
Luggage Rack
Storage Trunk
Engine Guard w/Highway Pegs
Radiator Grill Cover
Turn Signal Relocation Bracket
Saddlebags
Floorboards

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 10:23 PM
Patriot Guard Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrand View Post

This refers to a Harley Davidson motorcycle which has luggage capacity including at least a pair of saddlebags and, optionally, a topbox or trunk, a pillion bag, tank bags, etc...

1986 Black Kawasaki Vulcan VN750 "Black KAWK"
VN750 #9300 & VROC #33453

EMGO Handlebar, V&H Exhaust, Drop Shocks, Raised/Painted Fork, MeanStreak Seat, Tank Bib, ME880 Oversize Tires, Engine Guard, Custom Mirrors, Chris Products Turn Signals, Ear Shave, 150/42 Jets, PINGEL Fuel Valve, MCCT, Volt Meter, Shendegen R/R, AGM Battery, Coastered, .020 Coils, Relo Gauges & Headlamp, SilverStar Ultra, LED Flashing Brake Light, Center Stand Delete, WOLO Airhorn.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 10:29 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to KIMMERLING
Pegs down and thanks for the post. I am doing everything i can to be seen including hi vis gear and reflective decals. Headlight mod and just got my edition of more proficient motorcycling.

2011 Suzuki VSTROM DL650 with ABS Purchased Jan 28 now with 39,000miles WRECKED JAN 12 ,2013
"To strive, to seek, to find, not to yield."
05 Vulcan 750 26,050miles *Traded in*
Ventura guards
MadStadt mount
Givi windshield/Heated grips
Backoff
Riderbeads
Givi 52 topcase
Pat Walsh Crash bars skid plate
OEM centerstand
Headlight modulator
Battery tender
Aquarium thermometer with forward probe mount
Admore LED Lighting/Givi E36N panniers
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 11:00 PM

Unhappy Trying to be Seen

I sure hate to hear of an accident like that. I keep thinking that I am to old for this but I love riding that bike. All you guys take care. Thank you Old Hoss we need to be reminded once in a while.

Mcneuby
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrand View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The DEUCE View Post
This refers to a Harley Davidson motorcycle which has luggage capacity including at least a pair of saddlebags and, optionally, a topbox or trunk, a pillion bag, tank bags, etc...
X2^^^^^^^^^

Judging from the shape of the batwing fairing, this bike was an ElectraGlide.
Also sometimes known as a "Geezer Glide", or an "old man`s bike".

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 04-12-2011 at 12:40 AM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 12:58 AM
On His Lady Vulcan

Its sad to hear about things like this, a simple mistake and *POOF* Then you get a kid like the one we had near my place yesterday that decides to go 105mph on a two lane road during heavy traffic and *POOF* He goes sailing 440 feet like some super hero of sorts. He was just 24 yrs old. Sad yes but more his fault than a absent minded mistake from the Harley rider and his passenger.

"You came out of your mom looking like SHlT. She thought you were beautiful. Don't know what scared me most, your looks or her judgment."

Pictures of the "Ladies"
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 09:50 AM

I'm always sad to hear about anyone dying in a motorcycle wreck. I wrote a research paper for a college class a couple of years ago about the top three common factors in motorcycle traffic fatalities. I started my research assuming that helmet-less riders or lack of safety gear, or left turning automobiles in front of bikers, would be the most significant factors, but my research revealed that the top three common factors were: 1. Excessive speed by the biker, 2. Elevated blood alcohol level by the biker and 3. Not licensed for motorcycle operation. Which are all factors that the biker has control over. The last, no MC License might seem strange, but I think it implies that the person operating the bike failed to ever get any specific motorcycle training and thus the proper licensing. In most places you at least have to show some ability to perform basic riding skills and pass some sort of written test to get a MC endorsement on your license.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 11:54 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Sounds like some real bad traffic planning....building blind spots for oncoming traffic. Some would get sued for that here.

Again, an unfortunate example to show why one needs to pay attention and Slow Down when approaching an intersection.

I have always felt that most accidents involving a car and a bike can usually be traced to bad judgement on the rider... Not the car driver. The reason being that we all know they are out to kill us...so we should not rely on them to save us ... But ourselves.

Jumping in a tank of sharks is dangerous ... Just don't blame the shark for biting you.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement