If not now, when? If not us, who? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

If not now, when? If not us, who?

I do believe that it is time for us to lobby for an addendum to the driver's course and to the road saftey they teach children in this country about looking for motorcycles. How many others have had accidents because of stupid people this month alone?

Normal drivers are becoming oblivious to those of us who drive alternatives to normal transportation (motorcycles, bicycles, feet, etc). Even the pedestrians ignore the signs that tell them to walk and not to.

I propose that those of us who are on mltiple motorcycle forums to please post this on those sites, and let us talk to the elected officals in office (you know, the ones that we pay their salaries with our taxes) to sign on for this idea. It is time that we take a proactice stance, instead of a reactive one.

OK, OK, of the soapbox ( for now, anyway)

"The Mistress".
1985 VN700A1

MODS:
New stator
My version of the Marbleing
New paint and trim
New oversized front tire
Degoated
Iridium Plugs
New grip and lever covers
New(er) Ignition switch

Waiting on:
A good ride

As always:
Wanting attention at all times.

Why should I act my age, I am an ADULT!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 09:29 AM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

I hear you. so what most be done? how do we get this ball rolling?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Start by getting other forums involved. I know that we are not the only ones that feel this way.

We need to draft a saftey program, one that makes sense, one that can be inserted into the current training courses without disruption.

Then we need to present this to the states, to the elected officials, and get them to realize that this is something that needs to be done.

I am sure that there are other steps inside these, but we need to get started NOW! the sooner we can get this together, the sooner we can get the people to start paying more attention!!!

"The Mistress".
1985 VN700A1

MODS:
New stator
My version of the Marbleing
New paint and trim
New oversized front tire
Degoated
Iridium Plugs
New grip and lever covers
New(er) Ignition switch

Waiting on:
A good ride

As always:
Wanting attention at all times.

Why should I act my age, I am an ADULT!!!!!!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 11:07 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to cglennon
If you are serious about making a difference, then be prepared to devote your own time and energy, and lots of it. Programs like the ones you're describing are serious business and people spend their lives devoted to their cause. It requires commitment, lobbying, educational programs, trainers, curriculum, volunteers, evangelizing and also a sustainable source of funding (i.e., grants, donations, taxes, fees, etc.). You are not going to get anywhere by bringing an unfunded initiative to cash strapped states.

This is a great idea, but it is not a new one. For example; TEAM Oregon (Oregon's MSF) is a collaboration between Oregon State University and Oregon DOT and considered a premier MSF organization. If anyone should be able to implement a motorcycle safety awareness program for all drivers, it is them. However, there is just no sustainable source of funding to do so.

So, the real question might be; How do we create a sustainable source of funding for these types of programs?

Chris Glennon - Portland, OR
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 05:01 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord247 View Post

I do believe that it is time for us to lobby for an addendum to the driver's course and to the road saftey they teach children in this country about looking for motorcycles. How many others have had accidents because of stupid people this month alone?

To quote Ron White....."You can't fix Stupid..."

There will always be crappy, stupid or drunk drivers. You can't make them all drive better.

You are better off learning how to deal with it than expecting it to go away.

Sorry, but there are other orginizations that do lobby for motorcycle safety... Missouri this year put up signs on major highways that read " Watch for Motorcycles"

Some of it may help...but a stupid/drunk driver ain't going to pay attention. Many drivers handbooks cover bikes and a whole gamit of safety concepts...but the young person trying to pass a drivers test only cares about getting their licence...and quickly forgets the safety stuff, even if it is on the written test.

But ........glad to see another outraged biker.....

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 05:05 PM
Daily rider

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
To quote Ron White....."You can't fix Stupid..."

There will always be crappy, stupid or drunk drivers. You can't make them all drive better.

You are better off learning how to deal with it than expecting it to go away.

Sorry, but there are other orginizations that do lobby for motorcycle safety... Missouri this year put up signs on major highways that read " Watch for Motorcycles"

Some of it may help...but a stupid/drunk driver ain't going to pay attention. Many drivers handbooks cover bikes and a whole gamit of safety concepts...but the young person trying to pass a drivers test only cares about getting their licence...and quickly forgets the safety stuff, even if it is on the written test.

But ........glad to see another outraged biker.....

KM
X2 KM. It's the same for all this legislation that has gone into effect in many states regarding new teenage drivers - they have to have so many hours of driving with a parent or some such rule. You cannot regulate stupidity. No matter what you do, there will always be exceptions.

2017 Indian Roadmaster (current ride)
2003 VN1600A (Traded August 2017 to #1 son for a Bushmaster AR)
2001 VN750 bought 4/19/08 w/2309 miles(Sold April 2010 with just over 12,000 miles)
VROC #33035
__________________________________________________ ________________
Just when I thought I was winning the rat race, somebody moved the finish line!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 09:49 PM
Drive less, ride more...

This topic addresses what I would call the "dark side" of street motorcycling. We, as motorcyclists, are generally not a respected entity by the cager world and thus they generally don't look for us in traffic. Add in cellphones, texting, etc, and the problem obviously becomes much worse.....

Another problem here is that we, the motorcycling community, are of course a minority....when compared to the cager crowd. Thus, politically, we are the "small fry" on the block and so we're a voice that usually goes unheard.

I think this is mainly why good motorcycle legislation is so hard to get on the books (e.g., really stiff penalties for those who wrongly injure or kill a motorcyclist).

Thus, each biker's safety is pretty much his/her own responsibility. It's up to us, as bikers, to take the bull by the horns and do what we reasonably can to get noticed while we are in traffic. Survival on the streets is (to a large extent) all about being truly seen....

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/

Last edited by theauhawk; 12-23-2010 at 12:03 AM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 03:02 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

You know what Warlord, you just may be on to something. It just occurred to me that a few days ago I received the monthly AMA magazine sent out to members. On the cover was a picture of the Motorcyclist of the year. None other than the Governator, Honorable Arnold Schwartzenegger. Why not write him a letter and see if he wants to help.

Just a thought.

2003 Wine/Gray VN750 bought in 2005 w/2000 Miles
LED Tail/Brakelight & License Plate Light;Chrome Inspection Sticker Plate ;Battery Charging Quick Plug;Kuryakyn LED Battery Voltmeter;Throttle Rocker Palm Rest;Optronics Driving Lamps;KnifeMaker Floor Boards;Halogen Headlamp Bulb;OEM Engine Guard;Iridium Spark Plugs;OEM Luggage rack;Stebel Air Horn;Handlebar Clock; Handlebar Thermometer; Sealed Battery; Marbled; Leather Grip Covers; Rectangular Mirrors

~VROC~ # 389
Sponsored Links
Advertisement