In Case of Emergency- ICE on cell phone directory - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Linkmeister Supreme

Arrow In Case of Emergency- ICE on cell phone directory

I just read a 5 year old thread on the msgroup forum about a campaign in the UK to get everyone to list their next of kin contact number in their cell phone directory under the acronym *ICE*- In Case of Emergency. A response from a writer the USA said it was being introduced there as well.

Emergency responders would be trained to look for *ICE* in the victim`s/patient`s cell phone directory when needed. This seems to me to be an efficient and prudent method to allow authorities to contact your family quickly, in the event of an accident or medical emergency where you are not able to call for yourself.

Has anyone else ever heard of this idea before?

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 03:00 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlHossCanada View Post
Emergency responders would be trained to look for *ICE* in the victim`s/patient`s cell phone directory when needed. This seems to me to be an efficient and prudent method to allow authorities to contact your family quickly, in the event of an accident or medical emergency where you are not able to call for yourself.

Has anyone else ever heard of this idea before?
Uh, yes. My phone has had my wife listed under "ICE" for a few years now. I thought everyone in the US knew about this...........

Even though your phone might be destroyed in a crash, most phones now have sim cards that contain your address book....which can be read on another phone if needed. So make sure you save your address book to your sim card, (and make sure you list your emergency contact number under ICE first.)

You can also list other contacts by relationship..like - Daughter, Son , Doctor, etc...as these might be helpfull to...especially if your emergency contact is sitting behind you on the bike.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Uh, yes. My phone has had my wife listed under "ICE" for a few years now. I thought everyone in the US knew about this...........

Even though your phone might be destroyed in a crash, most phones now have sim cards that contain your address book....which can be read on another phone if needed. So make sure you save your address book to your sim card, (and make sure you list your emergency contact number under ICE first.)

You can also list other contacts by relationship..like - Daughter, Son , Doctor, etc...as these might be helpfull to...especially if your emergency contact is sitting behind you on the bike.

KM
Thanks for the update KM. Probably everyone in the US does know about ICE, but I`m in Canada, and I still don`t own a cell phone.

I read a security related post or email somewhere a few months ago warning us to list names like Dave or Sue in cell directories, not relationships like Mom or Dad. I don`t recall the whole rationale behind it, but was along the lines of making it harder for scam artists to identify parents or grandparents if the phone was stolen or lost, and they said a child was in jail and needed money for bail or injured and needed immmediate medical aid, etc.

This doesn`t really compromise the ICE program as the person accessing the directory does not know the relationship of the phone`s owner to the emergency contact. I hope this makes sense.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 05:48 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
I read a security related post or email somewhere a few months ago warning us to list names like Dave or Sue in cell directories, not relationships like Mom or Dad. I don`t recall the whole rationale behind it, but was along the lines of making it harder for scam artists to identify parents or grandparents if the phone was stolen or lost, and they said a child was in jail and needed money for bail or injured and needed immmediate medical aid, etc..

Well, all you would have to do to see if the "scam artist" knows your name....

Your daughter is in jail and needs money!

Sure she is, tell me my name?

Dad?

LOL.

I think folks are just a bit too paranoid these days, and it seems, not as smart.

I think if both me and my wife were in an accident and unable to respond, I would really appreciate it if the hospital knew that those folks names in our cell phones, out of all the others in there, were our children.

And btw, if my daughter lost her phone and someone called me, from "dad" likely the listing on her phone, we have a family "password" to tell if the folks on the other end were for real or not. (other than them knowing my name, address, where I work, my cats name, what kind of car I drive, etc...)

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 07:08 PM

Paramedics are more likely to steal my phone than to search it for a phone number here, so I don't think it would do much good in my case. Great idea though!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 08:49 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to cglennon
Google "in case of emergency ICE" and you'll find their official website containing ICE logos, info and business cards templates. I used Microsoft Publisher and the official ICE logos to print cards for both my wife and myself. Along with ICE programmed into my phone, I carry physical cards in my wallet, my riding jacket and in the tool trunk along with the registration. Seems like overkill, but I want my advocate notified ASAP if I'm ever incapacitated.

Chris Glennon - Portland, OR
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 04:18 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_case_of_emergency has some info on this. One of my previous Verizon phones (Chocolate2 maybe?) actually had a built-in ICE entry.

However...
Quote:
For security purposes many mobile phone owners now lock their mobiles requiring a passcode to be entered in order to access the device. This hinders the ability of first responders to access the ICE phone list entry. In response to this problem many device manufacturers have provided a mechanism to specify some text to be displayed while the mobile is in the locked state. The owner of the phone can specify their "In Case of Emergency" contact and also a "Lost and Found" contact. For example, Blackberry mobiles permit the "Owner" information to be set in the Settings -> Options -> Owner menu item.
I think I might actually prefer Chris' idea of having (multiple) cards printed up with the info. I work for a bank, and my iPhone is linked to my network account there, so I simply need to have it locked. There are multiple iPhone ICE apps, but if I'm incapacitated, nobody would be able to see any of that info. It could still be helpful if I'm capable of opening the phone to that app for them, but otherwise unable to communicate.

With simple cards like Chris described, you don't have to worry about a locked, broken, lost, drained, or too-complicated phone. http://www.medids.com/free-id.php is a page that will generate a card for you with contact and medical info (sample).

Road ID is another option. They've got a variety of formats and should be a little more durable than a paper card. I think I originally saw the link in another thread here.

1985 VN700 A1 (Sold) | 2009 Ninja 500R EX500D9F
VROC #32761
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 05:25 PM
Redneck on a rice burner

Location: American by birth,Southern by the grace of God ..,.AMEN !

My wife & I have had ICE for years. Like American Express-Don't leave home with out it !. P.S. I don't have C.C.'s anymore.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 03:26 PM
Concert connoisseur

Garage
I just have mom, dad, and ol lady in mine

1986 vn 750 aka "Huck Farley"
42,000 miles
Rick's stator and rr
Tuxedo stator cover mod
pickup coil mod
dampers replaced
agm m/f battery
Harley sportster exhaust, degoated
Hid conversion
splines lubed
custom "vn750.com" grill cover
NGK Iridium spark plugs

acct to mcct mod https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

rekeying locks, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7309

stator replacement walkthrough, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11369
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 12:23 AM
Love My Baby

Quote:
I read a security related post or email somewhere a few months ago warning us to list names like Dave or Sue in cell directories, not relationships like Mom or Dad. I don`t recall the whole rationale behind it, but was along the lines of making it harder for scam artists to identify parents or grandparents if the phone was stolen or lost, and they said a child was in jail and needed money for bail or injured and needed immmediate medical aid, etc.
I had my dad listed in my cell phone directory as DAD. Left the phone somewhere in a hospital and a kind stranger called my dad and told him he found my phone and is leaving it at the security booth. Got my phone an hour later.

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light
Cortech mini tank bag on rear rack