So when did you stop wearing your gear? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
At Least I Can Spell!

So when did you stop wearing your gear?

(no need to respond unless answering the question - not looking for feedback from my mom or lectures on the evils of going gear-less)

When I started riding way, way back in January of '09 , there I was, MSF trained and putting around with a loud, armored jacket, armored over-pants, riding boots, leather gloves and of course a my full face helmet. As time has gone by and my comfort level has improved, along with my skills and willingness to accept more risk, I've changed my level of commitment to wearing ATGATT. The jacket got lighter and over time armor free, the riding pants got hung up for good, and finally the boots are gathering dust in the closet.

I can now be found on the streets and highways with a full face helmet, mesh gloves, surgical scrubs or hawiian print shirts, my favorite jeans and sneakers. (I even wore shorts one day last weekend but don't think that will happen again) If it's cooler I'll slip into my hoody, and if real cold I add the leather jacket and chaps if needed to keep out the chill, along with timberland-like boots. I also plan to try and open face helmet - you never know.

So when did you stop wearing your gear?

Michael
2002 Nomad 1500
VROC #29972

----------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 05:25 PM
Yahoo VN750 Group Owner

Send a message via Yahoo to Pick
I won't lecture -- just tell you that I never ride without full gear. So in order to answer your question -- "not yet."

Jim "Pick" Foster
Dixon, IL
VROC #9492
2010 Honda NT700V
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimfost/sets/
http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x294/jimfost/
post #3 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 05:31 PM

Send a message via MSN to Mushu
As for the question... not yet either. I may go for lighter stuff in the heat but always on.

93 VN750
R/R Relocation to the front
Pirelli MT66 Tires soon to be mounted (only after 14 years...)

post #4 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 06:11 PM
MANIC MECHANIC

Send a message via MSN to vulcanjoe Send a message via Yahoo to vulcanjoe
never worn it when I started riding i used a 3/4 helmet a friend gave me, no license, amd no tags. These days I wear 8 inch waterproof logging boots, not only for the waterproof, but to save wear and tear on my tennis shoes. I have just always worn jeans i like they feel

34k so far
VN750.com member #613
Keep the shiny side up
coastered
de-goat and baffles removed
jetted 42-150 2 shims
Earshaved with unifilters
inside of tank coated
spline lube
long Beach Blue Pearl Paint 4/07
Shindengen FH012AA r/r
TPE stator
Exide sc30lfa Battery 28ah 445cca
Saddlemen saddlebags
2001 HD fatboy solo seat
Custom taillight & rear turn signals
Fergy's coil relay mod
Fiamm El-Grande high/low tone horns
post #5 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 07:10 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
I can always be found AGAT... always have, always will...
post #6 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 07:32 PM

When I started riding my old zx6 I always wore my 9 inch work boots jeans, textile jacket with armour, full face helmet and gloves. Now that I have the Vulcan and have slown down a bit the armour has been taken out the gloves are weather depending and I'm considering a half helmet (probibally in the next couple of weeks). Some times I'll opt for a hoodie in place of the jacket.
post #7 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 07:52 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

So far, I'm wearing a modular helmet (I like it with glasses), textile jacket with armor, Jeans, Hiking boots, and gloves. On occaision I will omit the jacket on short hops, but usually have all the above gear. I've only been riding about a year and a half. My gear is comfortable, and has become a habit. I don't really think about it much, but I like to wear it most of the time.

2005 VN 750
MF Battery
Plexistar windshield
.040 pilot jets.
Splines lubed 1955 mi.
Marbled
Iridium plugs
Reset pickup coil gaps.
Metzeler ME=880s
Shindengen MOSFET RR
V & H Cruzers
Degoated
Speed bleeders
MCCTs.
post #8 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 07:58 PM

Location: Living in Twin Falls, ID. Which is Southern Idaho. Not to be confused with Scenic Idaho.

Riding on the highway or on the way to work I always wear my leather jacket, engineer boots, gloves, jeans, and a full-face helmet. My jacket is 10 years old, totally broken in, and sweating in it doesn't bother me because when I was younger and trying to be part of the "metal scene" i wore it every damn day regardless. Gloves are just because my hand grips are old and feel gummy, and the boots and jeans are really just sorta comfortable every day wear. Now the full face is pure function over form. 2 factors came into play on my decision there: when I first started riding at speeds above 30 mph it would feel like my contact lenses were going to lift off my corneas. And the day I got my permit I rode home in a nasty dust storm being pelted by rain. I had wanted a brain bucket before, but I changed my mind fast after that.

HOWEVER, I tend to be kinda dumb, and if I'm just putting around my neighborhood or down to the parts store or w/e, I usually just wear a bandanna and sunglasses along with a sleeveless T, hiking boots and cargo shorts lol. I imagine not the most brilliant decision, considering how people around here drive.
post #9 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 08:49 PM
Columbus, Ohio

I noticed that the rider's cllimate seemed to correspond to what he wore. NC wears less, Il. wears more.
Right now I wear my leather jacket to work at night, when it is uncomfortably warm, and am glad to have it when I go home at six a.m. I have a nylon mesh Joe Rocket thingy with foam pads in the elbows, shoulders, and spine, but it looks wrong on a cruiser. When it gets consistently warmer this summer I'll have to decide if I'll wear that or just my work clothes, gloves, and modular helmet. It only takes one 60 MPH locust in the face to sell you on a helmet.

Jim
'95 Kawasaki Concours

Sold my Vulcan

I do LOTS of dumb stuff. Riding is only one of them.

Last edited by jimkonst; 07-09-2010 at 09:21 PM.
post #10 of 83 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 09:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to ravdaveed Send a message via Skype™ to ravdaveed
I've never really been into the get so dressed up to ride that I am uncomfortable idea... But, I also do like the idea of having at least some skin if the worst should happen... So, I ride with a half shell (didn't like the feel of a full face, so I don't use one...), thinking about getting a modular for the winter on long rides, but that is it... I always ride with long pants, either jeans, thick khakis, or ****ies... I almost always have a short sleeve shirt on, and in colder months throw on a hoodie or comfortable jacket and chaps and a pair of gloves. If taken a longer ride in the summer I might throw on a hoodie only to save on sunburn. I always wear eye protection, usually cheap shades that cover well and stay on when turning my head. I ride with 8" tactical boots, most comfortable for me and I don't like burnt ankles... LOL Oh yeah, need not forget my vest with colors, always ride with that on. (Nothing funnier than a rabbi with tzitzit- the little tassels hanging out the bottom of the shirt- flopping in the wind on a motorcycle, pulling up and removing a half shell with a yarmulke underneath, and a giant Star of David on the colors)

But, I've never go ATGATT... I prefer comfort on my rides, and if the worst happens, at least most of me will have skin... But, all the riders I've ever been around are the down and dirty bikers that tend to either be or hang out with the 1% and 2% (as a friend of mine calls the support clubs who hold down real jobs too)... So... I guess that's what rubbed off on me in terms of gear...

1990 VN750
Got it on 9/10/09
7683 original miles when I got it
7870 current (constantly adding more)
Mods already on bike:
Kuryakyn Iso Grips with throttle boss
Kuryakyn Iso pegs with heel rests
Windshield (not sure what brand or style, just look at my pic)
Leather Saddle bags
Leather t-bag
Mods since I got it:
Wet Battery
Many more to come...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement