55mph t-bone - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

55mph t-bone

Got a voice mail from my brother Q at midnight thursday saying that my other bro AJ had just t-boned a car on his bike doing 55 mph. I thought it was over. with everything else hapining this week: ( brother-in-law suicide, best friend car wreck with brain swelling cuncusion and broken ribs, 5 day coma, my familys car wrecked from another crash coasting us $1300,) i absolutly lost it. i went balistic, i had to git my wif out of bed to help me calm down enofh to call Q back for how bad AJ was. Q didnt know exactly but he said AJ caled him and told him to make other calls, The only thing AJ told Q bout injerys was "my nuts hurt from slapin the tank". So no real esesment of the situation. I then called my parents and had to blow their fones up cause it was midnight. I felt bad cause i didnt have info, no hospital, no extent of njurys where when why how, nothin. they started making calls and got ahold of his wife and she explaind everything to them. i wouldnt take that though. i needed to talk to him. when i got ahold of him he told me he was good and i would git the full report in the morning. he dont ever bull **** me so i knew he was ok. so i felt good and waited till mornig. heres what hapend:
exited highway slowed to 55.
aproched intersection with car coming from right w/ stop sign
saw car stop
checked left blind spot preping for lane change after intersection
all clear light blue pickup 90-100 yards back
looked forward saw previus car intering intersection
jumped on bracks layin 38 ft skid
struck car drivers side rear quarter
ejected over handel bars
aprox 15 feet air time
landed on back head forward
slid 30 feet
while liying conducted a self "im not broken/dead" check of estremitys
waited 2 min for parametics to arive
hospital for x rays, scans
4 hours later Jack on the rocks watchen Mcgiver with his dog at home.

few sprains, cuple deep bruses
not even a hole in his blue jeans
jacked held up perfectly (he almost brock the paremedics hand when they tryed to cut it off him)

moral i guess

My brother put 30,000 miles on that bike in the first 2 years with out so much as droping it in the driveway. My father always told me, if you ride a bike your time will come. well I believe it a little more now.

CLARK47

2005 VN750
1,200 MILES WHEN NEW TO ME
JULY OF 2006
24,000 AND COUNTING NOW
ALLMOST ENTIRLY STOCK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 03:02 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Wow! Glad to hear your brother came out of this alive and without major injury. I agree with your father. There are two types of bikers, those that have gone down, and those that will go down. It's just inevitable. All we can do is stay mindful of every situation and try to keep the lay down/crash as painless and with as little injuries as possible.

Keep your eyes open, your mind sharp and ride smart. Cagers don't see us or don't care. Always ride as if they are out to hurt/kill you.

My daily ride
Metzler ME880s
NGK caps, wires and Iridiums
Coasters (made by Lance328), earshave and rejet with screws turned out 3 turns
Volt gauge w/ custom mounting cup by Lance328 wired into headlight bucket 13.5v-14v
National Cycles Plexistar 2 windshield
DEKA battery
Mutazu GA Black hard bags w/ custom support brackets and relocation brackets made by Lance328
Custom lowers made by Lance328
Vance&Hines Cruzer exhaust pipes
TOC MCCTs
H.I.D. Conversion kit
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 05:49 PM

Glad he's OK and sorry you had so much anxiety because of a lack of information.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 06:45 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Sorry to hear of all the bad stuff happening to your friends and family this week. Glad that your brother came through with only the relatively minor injuries he has.

Let me share my thoughts or philosophy regarding the middle of the night phone calls in situations such as this. Unless those you are calling live close to the action, and can do something to help, let them sleep and call at what ever time you think they will be up and awake. This goes double if you really don`t have any details of damage or injuries. In your brothers case, your whole family was needlessly distressed and worried about him. Everyone thought the worst, and he was not hurt nearly as bad as everyone feared.

Please do not take any offence to what I have said, as I truly do not mean to give any. In the middle of a family emergency is not the best time to make plans for how to handle it. Thinking about it and talking it over before hand can let you know if some family members want to be woken and notified, even if all the facts are not know.

I know not everyone will agree with me, but in most situations I would rather wait till morning for news, especially if the situation is not clear.

I hope the coming week will find you all healing in mind and body.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 08:09 PM

I am glad to hear he is ok. When I seen the title of the thread, I figured I was going to read about someone getting picked up with a fork and a spoon.

I hope you have a better week this week.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks every one for good wishes.

OlHoss : no ofence taken at all. i totaly agree. matter of fact i have that conversation every time i deploy or go out to sea. when to notifiy me or what to keep till i git back to homeport. but unfortanitly Q is the kinda guy who thinks everyone needs to know right then, and my state of mind befor i even got the call wasnt great so i just needed to talk to someone. and it happend to be my parents and wife

and just so every one knows, my first conversation with him out of the hospital he told me what his NEXT bike will be. cnat remimber some other croch roket but hell be back on in no time.

CLARK47

2005 VN750
JULY OF 2006
24,000 AND COUNTING NOW
ALLMOST ENTIRLY STOCK
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 08:45 PM

That's great! Glad to know he wasn't spooked by the whole ordeal and will be riding again soon.

Not sure if I could say the same for myself. I think it would take some time, but I eventually get back on the steel horse.

My daily ride
Metzler ME880s
NGK caps, wires and Iridiums
Coasters (made by Lance328), earshave and rejet with screws turned out 3 turns
Volt gauge w/ custom mounting cup by Lance328 wired into headlight bucket 13.5v-14v
National Cycles Plexistar 2 windshield
DEKA battery
Mutazu GA Black hard bags w/ custom support brackets and relocation brackets made by Lance328
Custom lowers made by Lance328
Vance&Hines Cruzer exhaust pipes
TOC MCCTs
H.I.D. Conversion kit
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

quik update aj is off cruches yesterday and was able to walk his dog today. i can try to post some pics of his bike later

CLARK47

2005 VN750
JULY OF 2006
24,000 AND COUNTING NOW
ALLMOST ENTIRLY STOCK
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 05:05 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

Good to hear it's a quick trip on the road to recovery!!

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 08:25 PM

First of all, sorry to hear about what happened to your brother, but glad it wasn't a LOT worse. Hitting a car at 55 mph is usually fatal, on a bike or in a car. Mythbusters crashed a late model car into a reinforced concrete wall at 50 mph, and then measured it. It was only half as long as it was to begin with, and the front seat area was completely obliterated. No airbag or seat belt would have saved the driver or front seat passenger in that car. Of course, if you hit another car in the side, that car would absorb some of the impact. Still, both drivers would likely die.

But the part about "your time will come" I do not believe. I can't believe it. I would have to quit riding if I honestly believed that. There are many riders who have ridden more years and more miles than I have, and eventually had to give it up for medical reasons, that never crashed. So I know it is not a sure thing. While riding a bike is dangerous, it is by no means the only dangerous thing, or IMO, even the most dangerous thing people do. Jerry.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement