Basic Rider Course - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Basic Rider Course

Hey all,

Well, I just completed (and passed BTW) my local BRC last weekend!

I know there have probably been similar threads in the past, but I just wanted to share my experience and possibly encourage other new riders.

I had logged absolutely zero hours in the saddle before taking the course and was excited to get started. There were still a few "nerves" going on -- you know, thinking "Will I suck at this? Will I lay the bike down?"

First morning out on the range the weather was overcast and rainy. This is a "rain or shine" class, so we got our introduction to motorcycling in some rather adverse conditions. Our gear (helmet, jacket, etc.) helped shed most of the water so we ended up just a little damp around the edges. (That is until the torrential downpour soaked us to the bone and drove us indoors).

We just laughed about the uncooperative weather, made the best of it and figured if we could succeed under conditions we wouldn't normally volunteer to ride in, then we'd be okay in fair weather.

I won't bore everyone with a detailed play-by-play, but here's the point:

I feel that taking the BRC was the best way I could have begun my motorcycling journey. Even if you have zero riding experience, the instructors make it easy to learn and begin gaining confidence with a few new found skills. The time and expense involved was well worth it.

I now have a better understanding of my strengths and weaknesses as a motorcyclist and have gained more insight into my responsibilities as a safe rider.

I'm still very much a beginner -- a single weekend class does not an expert make by any stretch. I will consider myself a beginner for a very long time to come. But now I have a solid foundation from which to build my skills and grow into the rider I am to become.

I highly recommend the BRC and look forward to taking the Experienced Rider Course sometime in the future.

Thanks for reading. Have you taken the course or are thinking about doing it? Please share your thoughts.

John

1989 VN750
VROC#31798

I'm bad with names. May I just call you dumb?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 09:47 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Well, written, and in line with what many others have said about BRC. I'd like to suggest that new riders also do an online search for motorcycle safety tips (here's one such site: http://www.msgroup.org/), and read David Hough's book, Proficient Motorcycling. Learning from others is one of the quickest ways to gain knowledge. The better we become at riding, the better the overall experience.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 01:52 PM
Old Fart

Garage
I strongly agree that the BRC is the best choice for not just totally new riders, but for anyone. Many insurance companies now give discounts for those riders that take the course, so you not only save some money but might learn something that can save your life.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 02:01 PM
MANIC MECHANIC

Send a message via MSN to vulcanjoe Send a message via Yahoo to vulcanjoe
i took the course with my wife and i had been riding for 10 years safety is always a good thing

34k so far
VN750.com member #613
Keep the shiny side up
coastered
de-goat and baffles removed
jetted 42-150 2 shims
Earshaved with unifilters
inside of tank coated
spline lube
long Beach Blue Pearl Paint 4/07
Shindengen FH012AA r/r
TPE stator
Exide sc30lfa Battery 28ah 445cca
Saddlemen saddlebags
2001 HD fatboy solo seat
Custom taillight & rear turn signals
Fergy's coil relay mod
Fiamm El-Grande high/low tone horns
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 05:12 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to KIMMERLING
I plan to take the advanced course in the future. Basic course was excellent ..instructor had over 30 years riding everything. Plus, he was a former Marine Instructor...got used to being yelled at real quick. Made me stronger though.

2011 Suzuki VSTROM DL650 with ABS Purchased Jan 28 now with 39,000miles WRECKED JAN 12 ,2013
"To strive, to seek, to find, not to yield."
05 Vulcan 750 26,050miles *Traded in*
Ventura guards
MadStadt mount
Givi windshield/Heated grips
Backoff
Riderbeads
Givi 52 topcase
Pat Walsh Crash bars skid plate
OEM centerstand
Headlight modulator
Battery tender
Aquarium thermometer with forward probe mount
Admore LED Lighting/Givi E36N panniers
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 05:19 PM
MANIC MECHANIC

Send a message via MSN to vulcanjoe Send a message via Yahoo to vulcanjoe
i want to go to fl and take the ride like a pro course

34k so far
VN750.com member #613
Keep the shiny side up
coastered
de-goat and baffles removed
jetted 42-150 2 shims
Earshaved with unifilters
inside of tank coated
spline lube
long Beach Blue Pearl Paint 4/07
Shindengen FH012AA r/r
TPE stator
Exide sc30lfa Battery 28ah 445cca
Saddlemen saddlebags
2001 HD fatboy solo seat
Custom taillight & rear turn signals
Fergy's coil relay mod
Fiamm El-Grande high/low tone horns
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 10:21 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Here`s a link to Liberty Pilots thread on "chair riding" practice when you can`t be on your bike. I have heard of everything from basketball teams to piano players using visualization to improve their performance. I recommend it, give it a try.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9996

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 11:56 PM

Definitely agree with taking the BRC no matter what level experience you "think" you have. I took mine early last Summer and it was well worth it. I plan on taking the ERC either later this yr or early next yr.

My daily ride
Metzler ME880s
NGK caps, wires and Iridiums
Coasters (made by Lance328), earshave and rejet with screws turned out 3 turns
Volt gauge w/ custom mounting cup by Lance328 wired into headlight bucket 13.5v-14v
National Cycles Plexistar 2 windshield
DEKA battery
Mutazu GA Black hard bags w/ custom support brackets and relocation brackets made by Lance328
Custom lowers made by Lance328
Vance&Hines Cruzer exhaust pipes
TOC MCCTs
H.I.D. Conversion kit
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 01:07 AM
Drive less, ride more...

Based on my riding experience (having had both courses), I'd say you'd want at least 6-8k miles more riding, b4 you take the ERC. The point here is that you need some real riding time under your belt after taking the BRC, to really get a good return on your investment with the Experienced class.

Also: try to avoid climate extremes for your area when scheduling either class. I had to reschedule my BRC twice, because I took it in the fall and we were ducking hurricanes.

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 03:15 PM

I took the BRC as a means to both receive my motorcycle license and to brush up on my skills. I did quite a bit of dirt bike riding in my younger days and had been riding my Vulcan for the last year sans license, so I have some experience on bikes.

The course instructors both had over 30 years experience and did a heck of a job relaying that experience to us. The class consisted of 8 people, six of which had NO experience at all, and another that had ridden a small 50cc bike on a farm growing up.

It was a lot of fun watching my classmates go from no experience to being able to control the bikes. The instructors took us through all the baby steps (which bored me to death) but it was all worth it. I recommend everyone take these courses to brush up on skills and learn new ones.

For those that think "I've been riding 30 years, they can't teach me anything" you may find out how wrong you are. Both of my instructors have failed a few riders with that much "experience." Experience means absolutely nothing if you're doing things the wrong way, and trust me we ALL have bad habits. I heard 4 different instructors say how they would rather deal with people with no experience, than have to break the bad habits of so called experienced riders. I for one plan on taking the IRC an the ERC in the years to come. I want to know I have given myself the best chance for survival when that moment arrives, and it will.

Stay safe out there, and remember learning to ride is a marathon, not a sprint. Although sprinting is a lot more fun. :

RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement