Full moon syndrome - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Full moon syndrome

The idea that the full moon has an effect on human behaviour is part of urban mythology.....except that in my experience it is not a myth. When I drove taxi years ago it seemed there was always more happening when the moon was full - especially on the night shift.

There were more "incidents" (runners, altercations) reported by other cabbies on the radio net, drunk drivers seemed a little crazier, the partiers I picked up a little rowdier and more likely to try stupid stuff like: "Hey buddy, do you mind if we do a few lines in the back seat here?" "Hey driver, what would you do if we pulled out a knife and told you to drive to the edge of town?"

I was reminded of that the other day when I drove through Banff National Park from Banff to Canmore. The speed limit there is 90 km/h and the usual traffic flow is 100 km/h or less, which is the speed I drive. However this time I was being passed by a constant stream of vehicles going 110 or better. Not only that, they were tailgating and jamming from lane to lane to get past each other.

I don't know if there was a full moon. The rational explanation was that this slug of traffic was backed up by some obstruction coming over the Rogers pass, and that once they got in the clear they all let 'er rip.

But I have noticed that there are times when traffic seems worse than usual - I don't mean worse as in congested, I mean worse as in life-threatening - for no apparent reason. It's almost as if there is at that place and time a collective edginess which makes everyone a little less patient.

I wonder if anyone else has noticed this. When I do, I think "Now is a good time to leave the bike at home."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 04:47 PM
Old Fart

Garage
My wife has noticed that customers at the resturant she works seem weirder on nights with full moons. But that is not a very sceintific study...she notes that there seems to be no pattern to the type of customers on a daily basis.
So the moon may have a very very small effect...

I generally believe it has some effect on our brain, but would not go as far to say it is negative or positive influence.

I have pretty much given up riding my bike at night, thus avoiding any possibility of weird stuff happening.

In general... the mere fact that the moon is present in the sky, be if full or not, would seem to have more of a likelyhood of causing "something" than just on full moon nights only...as its presence does effect the gravitational pull...where full moon nights simply would have more abient light but still be creating the same gravitational pull of a 1/4 moon or other fraction.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 04:56 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

An emergency room doctor I know swears they are busier when the moon is full, during the hottest parts of the summer, and around the holidays.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts

Last edited by flitecontrol; 01-19-2010 at 04:59 PM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 06:36 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

My bro-in-law is a retired City of Lethbride cop. The city would have had a population of about 80K when he retired ~15 years ago. I remember he use to say that nights with a full moon were going to be busier, and with crazier calls than normal. I don`t know that he ever came up with a rational explanation for the whacko behavior under the full moon.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 10:08 AM
Search Goddess

I also worked as a waitress and bartender some years back and usually didn't need to check the skies to know that there was a full moon out.

From wikipedia..
"The word lunatic is borrowed from the Latin "lunacus", in turns stemming from "luna" (moon), which denotes the traditional link made in folklore between madness and the phases of the moon. This probably refers to the symptoms of cyclic mood disorders such as bipolar disorder or cyclothymia, the symptoms of which may also go through phases. As yet there no evidence whatsoever for any causal link between phases of the moon and the progression of mood disorder symptoms."

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 10:21 AM

When I was a lifeguard I noticed that the kids were particularly energetic during a full moon. I kinda feel a little rammy meself to be perfectly honest. I also noticed that there are way more people flying during a full moon but that may be because visibility's better or because they enjoy the full moon sky.

Everyone knows that the moon is responsible for the tidal action we experience on the Earth's surface. Everyone also knows that our bodies are 80% water. Ergo, I firmly believe the moon has at least a slight effect on us. The gravitational forces on the tides and us actually are slightly different during the different phases of the moon. When its full, the sun, earth, and moon are aligned. That means the sun is pulling on us like usual but the moon is actually pulling in the opposite direction, away from the sun and towards itself. So the sun and moon are kind of playing tug of war. As the liquid chemicals in our bodies are of varying densities, we may experience a slight behavioral imbalance. The theory is that this phenomenon is what makes people a little edgy during full moons. On the other hand when the moon is new, its pulling us towards the sun which, with the sun's already powerful gravitational pull, makes the moon's pull just about negligible.

Last edited by LibertyPilot; 01-20-2010 at 01:09 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 01:14 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

I suppose I could have reasoned out the gravitational explanation of the alignment of the sun, moon and earth, if I had thought about it for a while. It does seem to be the most reasonable cause of unusual behavior that I have heard of. Thanks for sharing LP, and fleshing the explanation out a bit for us.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 10:14 PM
Jesus-Family-Coffee-Bike

Liberty, I think you may be onto something. I am not a superstitious person - I believe everything can be explained within the realm of the natural (or the Supernatural). So when I was reading the posts previous to your I knew a natural reason had to be the cause, because I don't think God is interested in haunting us once a month

When you started into that stuff about "our bodies are 80% water and blablabla..." I thought, "Oh boy, he's cracked." But by the time I read to the end and you explained the moon and sun lining up, etc, I am convinced that's a legitimate theory.

http://photobucket.com/webby778_bike_pics

old bike:
93 vn750 - Gray/Navy - Mac Staggered Dual Tapered Tips Exhaust - DEI exhaust wrap - K&N air filters - ACCT rebuild - Deka ETX15L MF battery.
current bike:
95 vs800 - Tan/Maroon custom - Cobra pipes - Jardine seats - stage 1 jet kit, carbs re-tuned - 21' front wheel - crash bars with pegs - Willie & Max saddlebags
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 09:35 AM

LOL!!!! "Cracked" that's great! Actually I have a scientific background so I'm kinda big on logic. Logic + Science = Physics! I love to read about physics that applies to objects in space. That's what this lunar thing is. The bottom line here really is, I'm just a huge dork.

To be perhaps brutally honest, I don't know why there's any question as to whether lunar activity has an affect on humans. Is it possible that both women and the moon both being on monthly cycles is just an interesting coincidence? I suppose its possible but I'd never call it probable. One thing that always seems to remain constant throughout the entire universe is its unapologetic interconnectivity.

Anyway, thanks for letting me rant - dorks do that.

Last edited by LibertyPilot; 01-21-2010 at 09:39 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 09:44 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

My wife did 17 years as a trauma nurse in ER's. She always hated full moon nights as the patient load went up and they were usually busy with crazier cases.

Rckmtn
Dennis Huff
Cheyenne, Wy.
05 VN 750
KURYAKYN grips, helmet locks, and highway pegs
Spitfire windshield
Saddleman saddlebags/sissybar bag
Highwayman gelseat with Protac backrest
self canx turnsignals
Diamondstar headlight modulator
Jardine 2 into 2
MCC turn signal relocator and floorboards