Another close one - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Another close one

I'm out last night ridin' the back roads near my house. As usual its pretty quiet. I see a car way ahead of me pull off to the right side of the road but leave his lights on - always shady. As I approach him I slow down considerably. I get just about up on him and I see the driver turn and look behind him to his right - I'm on his left about to pass him. He looks forward all of sudden and starts to flip a bitch (pull a u-turn in Philly speak). He pulls RIGHT in front of me! I squeeze both brakes and as my head lamp beems in his side window he slams on his. I quickly apply more and more break because now I'm closing fast heading right for the driver's side door. My rear tire locks up and the back of the bike slowly drifts to the right as it comes to rest. I put my feet down, down shift into first then up to neutral and take my hands off the bars. As I lift my visor his window comes down, "Are you alright, I'm so sorry, you came out of nowhere!" I wanted to say, "I wouldn't have come out of nowhere if you had looked before flippin a bitch!" but I didn't. I said I was fine and asked that he move. He finished his u-turn and off I went.

Once I got back home and debreifed with myself I realized that if he had just kept going, I would have still hit the breaks pretty hard but he would have cleared the way faster and I could've kept going. The fact he actually saw me and slammed on his breaks made the situation more dangerous. If he remained oblivious it would have been better. I don't even know why he pulled over in the first place, he was only there maybe a minute. It was almost like he was aiming for me. Anyway I believe the lesson here was: if there's a car pulled over to the side, especially with the lights still on, slow down considerably and approach with extreme caution. Whew, close one...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 09:18 AM
Love My Baby

Glad you guys didn't go bump in the night! It's a natural instinct to slam on the breaks when you see someone coming straight at you. Don't know why because it is more dangerous, as you noted. Makes for an instant road block right in your path.

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light
Cortech mini tank bag on rear rack
Pirelli MT66 Tires: 110 front / 150 rear
Splines lubed when tires installed at 10,650 miles
Splines lubed again at 14,400 with stubby valve stem install

Place your mouse on the X below and drag to the O

X
Even though you can't see Him, GOD is there! O
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 09:28 AM
Drive less, ride more...

The reason he nailed his brakes is explained in the "SMIDSY" thread I created here just a few days ago.

Nonetheless, you are to be commended for looking & planning ahead with the worst in mind, and keeping your cool as the situation unfolded. Good job!......

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 09:57 AM
Love My Baby

Re: Born again Christian

Hey LibertyPilot, your post reminds me that I need to practice emergency braking a bit. Hate to hear how your rear brake locked up and caused you to swerve a bit. We should all be proficient on emergency braking, without locking the brakes.

HERE'S A LINK that Knifemaker provided a while back (thanks, KM) about motorcycle braking. Interesting to read.

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light
Cortech mini tank bag on rear rack
Pirelli MT66 Tires: 110 front / 150 rear
Splines lubed when tires installed at 10,650 miles
Splines lubed again at 14,400 with stubby valve stem install

Place your mouse on the X below and drag to the O

X
Even though you can't see Him, GOD is there! O
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

I actually didn't slam on the brakes. Going against everything I wanted to do, I started by squeezing a little hard, like the bike and me definitely pitched forward a bit. As I closed in on the car I squeezed harder and harder. I could feel my front wheel really biting the road. No doubt a testament to making sure your tires are in good shape. At the last second I pressed SO hard on the right pedal, my back tire locked up but only for a second until the bike came to a complete stop. Now that I think about it, I remember leaning a little to the left as the rear tire slid. That way I wasn't thrown off the bike when it stopped. Admitedly I didn't do that on purpose, I was just trying to move with the bike as it came to a hard stop. Instincts maybe, I dunno.

Thanks for the link, I actually read that when KM posted it. Some real good info there...

Last edited by LibertyPilot; 12-18-2009 at 09:21 AM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 12:44 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

Hey LP, maybe it`s time to hang a Stebel Nautilus Compact air horn on "Sable", so she can give voice before attemping a pass. A blast of that horn when the driver was looking over his right shoulder prior to starting the U-turn, may have gotten his attention.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlHossCanada View Post
Hey LP, maybe it`s time to hang a Stebel Nautilus Compact air horn on "Sable", so she can give voice before attemping a pass. A blast of that horn when the driver was looking over his right shoulder prior to starting the U-turn, may have gotten his attention.
Do you happen to know if the Stebel is louder than the V&H pipes? Actually, now that you mention it, I could have goosed the throttle as I approached. The clutch was in and I was decelerating anyway, that probably would have worked too. Maybe I should think more about being heard when I'm out there as well as being seen. Its why I got the V&H in the first place. Real good point Hoss, thank you.

Last edited by LibertyPilot; 12-18-2009 at 09:40 AM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 01:12 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

I don`t know how loud the pipes would sound inside a car, with the windows up and 50-100 yards in front of you. They would probably bark pretty good to anyone behind you though. I would think the Stebel mounted close to the front would more likely get a cagers attention, especially if it was paired with a Fiamm Freeway Blaster Lo-tone.

In your description of the incident, you don`t mention whether you turned on the High Beam headlight. When the whole inside of the car lights up, that usually gets MY attention! Also, the more I read about making a bike more visible to the front, the more I become convinced that a bike needs a pair of driving lights. Mounted up level with the headlight gives some indication of width to those drivers in the 11:00- 1:00 o`clock position in front of the bike, who are statisticlly most likely to turn in front of a bike.

The best light configuration is as much separation of the headlight and driving lights as you can manage, in a large triangle such as you see on a railway locomotive. Ideally that would have the driving lights mounted down close to the front axle. Vibration and road humps, bumps and flying debris may dictate a compromise of mounting them at the top of the hydralic shock portion of the fork, closer to the tire and fender. Even that configuration is a big improvement, as it has the driving lights about a foot and a half below the headlight.

Even after improving our odds of been noticed by adding driving lights and a horn that can actually be heard, it is still not 100% fool proof. Every year there are still a few drivers who miss seeing a locomotive bearing down on a crossing from half a block away, with lights separated by 6 or 8 feet and blowing an air horn. Be conspicuous, but be ready too.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 12-18-2009 at 01:16 PM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 02:42 PM
Columbus, Ohio

Horns and bright lights are not for reacting to emergencies. They are for preventing emergencies or speaking your mind after a emergencies. As the events leading to an emergency unfold, there comes a point when you only have time for braking, steering, and swearing. You need that thumb for hanging on.
If you think you should have done this, or wish you could have done that, you probably didn't have time to do either.
One day I will have the presence of mind to tell one of these morons, "Nobody comes out of no where!"

Jim
'95 Kawasaki Concours

Sold my Vulcan

I do LOTS of dumb stuff. Riding is only one of them.

Last edited by jimkonst; 12-18-2009 at 02:46 PM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 02:47 PM
Columbus, Ohio

On a related note, is there any way to have your horn and bright light interconnected?
That would be way cool.

Jim
'95 Kawasaki Concours

Sold my Vulcan

I do LOTS of dumb stuff. Riding is only one of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement