The "SMIDSY" - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Drive less, ride more...

The "SMIDSY"

For your review and contemplation: the following video does a pretty good job offering one explanation of why cagers pull out in front of us, and one tactic you could use to help thwart this problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqQBubilSXU

This tactic was devised for use in Europe....in part because headlamp modulators are illegal over there.

A variation of this idea is offered by the safety crowd up in Minnesota (see #8 in the following list):

http://www.motorcyclesafety.state.mn...?cid=5&mid=280

Obviously, an alternative method for attacking this problem (during daylight hours, anyway) is with a good headlamp modulator (along with bright bulbs, and well-aimed headlamps).

FYI: For all riders in North America--headlamp modulators are perfectly legal in all 50 states, and also in Canada.

When I see headlamp modulators in action, I'm amazed at how effective they are....and how far away they attract one's attention. They are many times more effective than just a headlamp high beam, and really make a bike stand out from its background or other vehicle daytime headlamps in traffic.

Anyway, hope some of the above helps someone avoid an accident...or avoid getting killed......

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 07:20 AM
Columbus, Ohio

Thanks. That was worth watching.

Jim
'95 Kawasaki Concours

Sold my Vulcan

I do LOTS of dumb stuff. Riding is only one of them.

Last edited by jimkonst; 12-14-2009 at 06:07 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 04:43 PM
Old Fart

Garage
I missed what the hell Smidsy is supposed to mean, was it just a silly english phrase or an accronym for something.? (Wife allways has to ask me questions when I am trying to listen intently to something else...lol)

I would say that most times I in fact use this stratagy, although not the wobbly weaving back and forth , but movement to one side or another.

Most times if I see a car ready to pull out on the road in front of me, I will move to the farthest point to the left that I can, even changing lanes if possible.

I do this more to move myself as far from the car in case it starts to pull out rather than an attempt to attact attention to myself, but the result is the same.
If am headed towards an intersection or there is car in the oncoming lane waiting to turn left, I will do oppossite and quicky move as far to the right as I can, changing lanes if possible.

I have always done this, so I am glad to see I was doing something even more usefull than I thought was.

I will also mention here that I have noticed I have less folks attempting to cut me off in their cars on a weekly basis riding my FJR as opposed to the Vulcan. My only thoughts on why this is , other than luck , is the fact that the FJR has two side by side headlights that are fairly bright and the Vulcan only had one headlight that was a bit weak in comparison.

I am not really a fan of the headlight modulators, and I know somefolks swear by them, but after seeing a car that was traveling in front of me cut off a guy coming towards him who had a headlight mod unit flashing , I am skeptical on how usefull they really are. If a driver is not paying attention, he is not paying attention and short of sending a few rounds his way with a 12 gauge you might not get him to focus on what is in front of him.

(I have seen an old lady pull out in front of an oncoming ambulance with all its lights going plus its siren on too)

After seeing the video now, I will however increase my lateral movements when I can , but still end the move with placing my bike as far from the threat as possible....and still be prepared to react if all this proves futile.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Drive less, ride more...

Oooops!

I guess a bit of prep info might make more sense out of part of the above.

"SMIDSY" is a British acronym for "Sorry Mate, I Didn't See You"....

'05 VN750

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 12:01 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to KIMMERLING
Quote:
Originally Posted by theauhawk View Post
For your review and contemplation: the following video does a pretty good job offering one explanation of why cagers pull out in front of us, and one tactic you could use to help thwart this problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqQBubilSXU

This tactic was devised for use in Europe....in part because headlamp modulators are illegal over there.

A variation of this idea is offered by the safety crowd up in Minnesota (see #8 in the following list):

http://www.motorcyclesafety.state.mn...?cid=5&mid=280

Obviously, an alternative method for attacking this problem (during daylight hours, anyway) is with a good headlamp modulator (along with bright bulbs, and well-aimed headlamps).

FYI: For all riders in North America--headlamp modulators are perfectly legal in all 50 states, and also in Canada.

When I see headlamp modulators in action, I'm amazed at how effective they are....and how far away they attract one's attention. They are many times more effective than just a headlamp high beam, and really make a bike stand out from its background or other vehicle daytime headlamps in traffic.

Anyway, hope some of the above helps someone avoid an accident...or avoid getting killed......
Thanks for posting this ! This stuff is awesome. Some things like movement etc...i have been doing but its nice to know that research backs it up. I ordered a headlight modulator and will be getting the back off as well. I am trying to be as visible as possible but i understand that I am only part of the equation.

2011 Suzuki VSTROM DL650 with ABS Purchased Jan 28 now with 39,000miles WRECKED JAN 12 ,2013
"To strive, to seek, to find, not to yield."
05 Vulcan 750 26,050miles *Traded in*
Ventura guards
MadStadt mount
Givi windshield/Heated grips
Backoff
Riderbeads
Givi 52 topcase
Pat Walsh Crash bars skid plate
OEM centerstand
Headlight modulator
Battery tender
Aquarium thermometer with forward probe mount
Admore LED Lighting/Givi E36N panniers
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 04:39 PM

I have a modulator and have had people slow down until I passed them and then put their highbeams on and ride my butt. The point is they definately saw me. I agree with KM if they aint paying attention some of them wouldn't notice anything around--defensive riding is the absolute best tactic unti lthey let us shoot bad drivers.

Rckmtn
Dennis Huff
Cheyenne, Wy.
05 VN 750
KURYAKYN grips, helmet locks, and highway pegs
Spitfire windshield
Saddleman saddlebags/sissybar bag
Highwayman gelseat with Protac backrest
self canx turnsignals
Diamondstar headlight modulator
Jardine 2 into 2
MCC turn signal relocator and floorboards
Luggage rack
Extended passenger backrest
KURYAKYN LED voltmeter
Custom tank bra with analog clock
Snider paint protector on tank side
130 DB horns
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 07:15 PM
Columbus, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckmtn View Post
I have a modulator and have had people slow down until I passed them and then put their highbeams on and ride my butt. The point is they definately saw me. I agree with KM if they aint paying attention some of them wouldn't notice anything around--defensive riding is the absolute best tactic unti lthey let us shoot bad drivers.
Can you turn modulators on and off? I can see how they would p*ss off motorists if they were on all the time.
I have flashed my high beams at folks I thought didn't see me, but I was afraid they would think I was yielding to them and telling them to pull out in front of me.

Jim
'95 Kawasaki Concours

Sold my Vulcan

I do LOTS of dumb stuff. Riding is only one of them.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Drive less, ride more...

For those new to the idea, headlight modulators are usually wired to work with the high beam only.

Thus, they normally are "turned off" by switching to low beam.

Modulators have a light sensor that completely disables the modulator, so high beams can be used at night without any modulation.

It is generally considered good etiquette to turn a modulator off when directly behind another vehicle (while waiting at a traffic light, for instance). Or when stuck behind someone in very busy (like rush hour) traffic, then it's a good idea to turn the modulator off, as well.

'05 VN750

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 11:55 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by theauhawk View Post
Oooops!

I guess a bit of prep info might make more sense out of part of the above.

"SMIDSY" is a British acronym for "Sorry Mate, I Didn't See You"....
And the acronym for the weaving move to attract attention is "SIAM", for "Smidsy Identification and Avoidance Manoever"

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 02:21 PM

Reported.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement