Close call this weekend - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Close call this weekend

Well it was 68 and sunny in Philly this past Sunday. Can't think of a better day for a ride when its November. Thankfully this happened toward the end of my trip.

I was at an intersection about to make a left onto a 4 lane. My light turns green, I look both ways and start out into the intersection. I stop short right away as I see an SUV come barreling towards the light not slowing down. I back up a little but thankfully my wheel wasn't in the intersection yet. I see her right hand up to her ear with a silver thing in it as she sees me backing up. She locks up the brakes and goes sliding to a shrill stop in the middle of the intersection, ABS and all. What do you know, its a Lexass. Mind you she was in her right lane so had to pass 4 stopped cars in the left lane in order to blow the light.

She stops just about right in front of me. The phone the flips closed, the windows come down, and she starts: "What the HELL is wrong with you!!! Are you OUT of your MIIIIND!?!?" She says. I said "lady, my lights still green and yours is still red! Hang up the --ckin' phone and pay attention to what you're doin!" She looks at her light, looks at mine, turns an interesting shade red and says "Oh my god I'm so sorry, I am sooooo sorry." So I say, "can you clear the intersection please, one way or the other?" She nervously backs up to the white line, rolls her widows up, and lips 'I'm sorry' to me over and over as I make my left. I wouldn't have been hit if she blew the light but I was still a little shaken up. After she became so apologetic I felt kinda bad for cursin' at her. Only kinda though. You're that oblivious while driving that not only can you completely blow a light but you don't even know its your fault until someone tells you? Grrr.

After I thought about it, I was pretty impressed that she would bi+ch out a biker when she was the only one in the car. ~Sigh~ Alls well that ends well I guess.

How about you guys, any close calls recently?

Last edited by LibertyPilot; 11-09-2009 at 03:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 05:22 PM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

I must say...I am SO glad that you had your eyes open and saw her comming. she for sure would have creamed you!

in the last 2 weeks 3 riders I know or know of, have been killed and 1 passenger was put into a coma from motorcycle accidents! we really need to watch out for these damn bad drivers!

it's to a point that I have been thinkng of starting a "club" called "B.A.D.D" that stands for "Bikers Against Dumb Drivers"!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 06:45 PM

Garage
Hey Liberty, I know they were talking again about banning cell phone's while driveing here in PA. I can't beleive how many people I see on their phones on the way home from work. Sometimes it seems I could count every other car. I have OnStar on my pick-up and it's well worth it if I really need to call someone. I get 100 min. plan and it lasts me all year. I really try to wait and stop somewhere when using my cell while in the cage. Riding cycle only makes me more aware of the dangers, if only everyone would ride, then they might learn too.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 10:54 PM
Love My Baby

Imagine this: Your riding your lexass, cruising along at 60 mph in a 45 mph zone while talking on your cell phone with one hand and occasionally sipping hot McDonalds coffee with the other. All of a sudden this STUPID idiot on a motorcycle decides to take off into an intersection when his light turns green, not paying enough attention to notice that you're speedin up to get through your red light before the 3 second rule kicks in. What a moron! Doesn't he know that someone driving a lexass while talking on a cell phone has the right of way to ignore traffic signals? Some bikers are just so thoughtless.

NOT!

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light
Cortech mini tank bag on rear rack
Pirelli MT66 Tires: 110 front / 150 rear
Splines lubed when tires installed at 10,650 miles
Splines lubed again at 14,400 with stubby valve stem install

Place your mouse on the X below and drag to the O

X
Even though you can't see Him, GOD is there! O
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 11:53 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Glad your awareness paid off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyPilot View Post
How about you guys, any close calls recently?
Yes, tonight. Light up ahead that I'm approaching has turned green and the two cars ahead of me that stopped for it have gone through. There is a vehicle approaching the left turn lane from the other direction. He's got his brakes on, but doesn't seem to be slowing enough to stop before he gets to the intersection. I'm figuring it's time to roll off the throttle and hit the brakes. Sure enough, he turns right in front of me, close enough that if I hadn't slowed down we might have come together in the intersection. I lay on the horn as he gooses it to clear the intersection.

Then there were the numerous idiots who were talking on their phones, following too close, cutting in too soon after passing, and various combinations of the above. Those things are pretty much daily experiences. They are totally oblivious to how their driving jeapordizes others!

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 04:04 AM

I've noticed on several posts on these hallowed pages, people have mentioned banning mobile phone use whilst driving. Is it not already banned in the US?

In the UK, a 'hands free' kit can be used but using a mobile when driving is a 60 fine and 3 points on your licence (12 being an automatic 6 month ban).

It doesn't really work though. The rule is unenforcable (like a lot of others in this country), the old bill having more important things to do, and most cagers don't give a toss about bikers anyway.

The powers that be over here don't like bikers either, for an example, I give you the police anti bike victimisation in North Wales! I'm sure that you can find it on the net via MCN etc.

See below:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8253239.stm

http://vzaar.com/videos/53926

Ride free, Stay safe

Ride free, stay safe

Regards to all,
Martin

'88 FJ1200 3CV

1986 VN750 A2 (now sold to another old fart!)

Jardine fishtail pipes (de-goated)
Coastered
R/R relocated
Stator No 2
Avon Venom AM41/42 tyres
Sundance grips
etc
etc
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fartin'martin View Post
I've noticed on several posts on these hallowed pages, people have mentioned banning mobile phone use whilst driving. Is it not already banned in the US? Ride free, Stay safe
Not nationwide. Some states have, some haven't, some have just banned texting while driving (that's a no brainer!). A few days ago, two videos of Arnold Schwarzenegger's (governor of California) wife, Maria Schriver, were on the news showing her using her phone while driving. That's illegal in California. The California Highway Patrol were reported to have written over 100,000 tickets for phone usage since the law was passed.

I see local police using their cell phones quite a bit while driving, which is still legal here in Louisiana.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Whew, glad you're ok flite. Definitely was a close one. People making lefts on green in the opposite direction are biker killers. I'm glad you had the where-with-all and presence of mind to avoid that, nice riding' bro.

The thing that really baffles me is the amount of things she had to miss in order to blow the light. She had to miss me moving into the intersection from her right, she had to miss the 2 red lights shining above her, and she had to miss the 4 stopped cars in the left lane she was passing while blowing the light. Mythbusters did a study and compared drunk driving to driving while on the cell phone. Its a GREAT episode! Its actually safer to drive drunk because at least some of your mind is left on the road. And of course by saying that I'm not advocating either one!

I swear the only reason I'm still here is because of the habit to look both ways again, even after my light has turned green. I got in the habit of doing that for this EXACT reason! Really glad I did...

Last edited by LibertyPilot; 11-10-2009 at 02:57 PM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 12:35 PM
Columbus, Ohio

I think that the only product available that would alert these oncoming zombies is that one that causes your headlight to surge brighter and dimmer as you drive. They are VERY expensive....I think I saw one for about three hundred dollars for all lights.
I rode before cell phones were so common. Then I thought the danger was folks coming out of driveways or parking lots who weren't "intellectually engaged" yet with the traffic. Now I've resumed riding and it's mergers AND cell users. I sometimes flash my headlight a few times when somebody isn't looking my direction, but you can't find them all.

As for the Welsh police, all they need are radar and remote cameras and they can save tens of thousands of pounds and not p*ss off the rest of the world.

Jim
'95 Kawasaki Concours

Sold my Vulcan

I do LOTS of dumb stuff. Riding is only one of them.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 02:51 PM
Undercover Sportbiker

How dare you go through a green light!

This has happened so many times now, I've stopped keeping track of them. Mostly because they are no longer the huge oh S**T! moments they used to be since I have gotten very good at planning ahead and braking early. But I'll share a golden one from a few days ago.

I'm on a main street, getting ready to turn left onto a side street. Side street has a stop sign. Woman in a minivan wants to turn left onto the street I'm leaving, and she's on my left hand side so I will be turning in front of her. I have the right of way under the law in all states. I'm across the first lane into my turn and she decides she's gonna go. I cut my turn and stop and she hits her brakes, now blocking the first lane of traffic flowing opposite me. I'm halfway in the second lane, so now NOONE can go anywhere cause of this lady. An SUV comes from the oppsotie way and stops just short of nailing her broadside, so she backs up, SUV goes by, and I finish my turn, watching this woman's face the whole time. She's yelling her head off and screaming at me, like it's my fault. I finish my turn and head home. I was only 4 blocks form the house. Oh yeah - I was driving my bright red F150! How do you not see that?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement