Question About Skill... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Question About Skill...

I was just thinking about the very popular and ubiquitous phrase, "Know the limit of your skill and always ride at or just under it." I see and hear this everywhere, online, in person, you name it. I'm not trying to start an arguement but one question keeps repeating over and over in my head: If you're never supposed to ride above your personal skill level, how are your skills expected to improve?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 01:15 PM

I guess it would depend on what you mean by "skill". If you mean hign speed cornering, the short answer would be, take it to the track. If you mean threshold braking, take it to the parking lot. In other words if you want to push your boundaries, do it in a controlled, off road setting with proper gear and preferably after some instruction.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 01:30 PM

That was what they said at the MSF. Push one limit at a time in controlled circumstances.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 02:59 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyPilot View Post
I was just thinking about the very popular and ubiquitous phrase, "Know the limit of your skill and always ride at or just under it." I see and hear this everywhere, online, in person, you name it. I'm not trying to start an arguement but one question keeps repeating over and over in my head: If you're never supposed to ride above your personal skill level, how are your skills expected to improve?
Skill levels tend to rise with time naturaly. Think about learning to type. At first it is hunt and peck, then your hands and head finally get in tune and you can type a bit faster. When you try to type even faster...you tend to make mistakes. After a few years of typing you find that you can type faster than before without making the mistakes. It is easy to push your limtis here, to see if you can type even faster, because unlike riding a bike, you are not endangering your life.

MSF of course does not want you to take risks or endanger your life...so they came up with the "Ride at your own level or below it" for the shear safety of it. Most riders I know will at some point push their limits a bit, and at some point this will effectively raise the standard that they normaly use to go by....thus they "improve".

The importance of the phrase "ride at your skill level" , "ride your comfort level", or "ride your ride" is to make it clear one should not get forced or coheresed into riding beyond their comfort level.

It is not a suggestion not to improve ones skills. One should after feeling a bit complacent with their riding try taking things up a notch, if only to find their level at that point. But as mentioned, it is safer to push your limits if you choose one specific area at a time and do it in a controlled enviroment.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 05:56 PM

I can't believe I'm typing this, but I 100% agree with KM . I want to also stress one point, Don't let your buddies or your ego push your limits before you feel comfortable. Thats usually the quickest way to get hurt. Y'all ride safe now ya hear.

"DAISY" 85 VN 700 19K
Owned since 09/12/09
Done list
Windshield
Marbled
Metal radiator drain plug
Removed exhaust baffles
TOCMAN. ACCT's
VN900 Seat

TO Do list
To much to list

VN900 seat on my VN700
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12903

Debaffling my stock pipes
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12756
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 06:09 PM
Adventuregeek

Here's a simple yardstick I'm trying out for this very question. It's been working so far for me and others I've suggested it to, for many different activities.

The phrase to consider is "Too Much To Think About."

Any given situation requires a certain amount of your brains and attention to deal with. Standing in line - not much! Riding a cycle demands you pay attention and make decisions on many things at once. As your skill and experience increase, you have to actually THINK less about each task and let your reflexes handle things.

In the beginning you have to think about EVERYTHING, nothing is reflexive. When it's all you can do to drive the cycle, adding traffic, darkness, etc. is Too Much To Think About. TMTTA means something you should be paying attention to isn't being handled right, because the brain is too busy dealing with other things. That one thing you can't deal with will probably be what takes you down.

Instead of trying to judge your skill level versus the task, ask yourself - do I have too much to think about if I do that? Or can I handle it without stressing? It's a quick and simple reality check that seems to work well.

You have to push your limits, but push them gently and make sure you have reserve brainpower at any given moment. When your mind is overwhelmed and you're "out of your envelope" you'll know it. Sort of check yourself from time to time and ask - how do I feel now? Am I in control? How much extra attention do I have if something surprises me? As Constant Thought tasks become Reflexive ones, add in more things to think about.

Good luck and ride safe!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 06:56 PM
Undercover Sportbiker

+1 to what everyone else has said. The quote kind of falls in line with "ride your own ride"

There is a time and place to find your limits. On the streets is neither the time nor the place. It's like the old adage "How do I get ti Carnegie Hall? Practice, practice, practice."

I'm fortunate that the riding drills I work on (stopping quick and cornering with better form) I can do pretty much anywhere, since I don't do it at speed. Plenty of large empty lots by my pad.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 09:08 AM
On His Lady Vulcan

KM nailed it. Ones skill level improves naturally as time goes on. Example: think back to the very first time you ever rode a bike, remember how SLOW you took your first corner? Now on that same corner how fast are you going today? Keep letting your natural learning curve develop and you'll improve even more.

"You came out of your mom looking like SHlT. She thought you were beautiful. Don't know what scared me most, your looks or her judgment."

Pictures of the "Ladies"
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 02:28 PM
Old Fart

Garage
I should also point out that there is no law saying that you should "Ride to the limit of your skills" all the time. The idea of "riding just under it" is what most folks do anyway.
(But those big groups of Harley riders that get on the highway and ride right at the speed limit, really need to get out of my way)

Once you have learned and developed these skills it is not really nessecary to use them to the full extent all the time. Riding a motorcycle should be an enjoyable experiance, You should feel relaxed, serene and happy. (with still being on guard for dangers of course).

Being older now, I have had my years of riding to the limits of my skill reach the point that now I can easily ride to the limits of the bike itself, but nowadays I ride well below that. I know I can charge into corners ALOT faster than I do, but 99.9 percent of the time, I don't. Been there done that I guess.

I like feeling relaxed and serene ....not "challanged" and definitely not in any hurry. I ride a big insanely fast bike now, but still very rarely shred the corners like I did when I was younger.

I do like having the skill on tap if I need it...and I love having a bike that can match my abilities, but for everyday I prefer just to enjoy being on a bike and not taking every corner marked with a "35 mph" sign as a challange.

Was it Roosevelt that said "Walk softly, but carry a big stick?"...that is my mind set now. I'm a ninja riding a tiger ...there is no need to prove anything to anyone anymore...even myself.

But just so you understand, I do, on occasion, dig in the spurs and fly....one does needs to keep in practice...........

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. In the MSF I took the only thing I remember was "ride at or below your skill level". I assumed that that level would increase naturally over time. I have been practicing certain things (quick starts, hard breaking, swerving, and tightening up the U-turns) in an isolated area though regardless. I just felt while doing it, that I was doing something wrong.

I asked the question because I saw a video online that had guys on huge loaded Harley's that were kinda slammin through turns. I thought "cruisers can do that?" So after a quick warm up (ride through the delsolate back streets and practicing the above) I decided to take it easy and slow but try a little more speed and a little more bank when in the turns I've come to know so well. As I enter the turn with a little more speed than usual, obviously I'd bank a bit more. I still felt confident and in complete control.

The more I did this, the more I realized my overall command of the bike increased exponentially. My radius also tightened up considerably. The tightest turn on "the route" is actually on my way out of it. After several weeks of pracitice, I started to not think about it. The last turn came up, I stayed on the gas, pulled in right bank as needed, got to the tightest part of the turn, and felt my right knee start to drift away from the gas tank naturally. The turn began to end as I righted the bike and away I went.

I guess I also asked the question because I felt like I was breaking the rules by "tryin new things". Now I see, despite my MSF experience, I was doing it right all along - slow and controlled in an isolated environment. I just couldn't believe how much I felt my skills improve over the course of a few weeks by trying something I wouldn't have if all situations remained the same. I'm undoubtedly in a new palce with riding and really enjoying it. I still know that safety's first though its just nice having reached a new plateau.

FYI, I've never banked to the point of "knee drifing" after that one day. Afterall, we're not on crotch rockets. I actually took that level of bank as being my new "bank limit"...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement