not another full face thread - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Simple Solutions

Send a message via MSN to seebeeare Send a message via Yahoo to seebeeare
not another full face thread

Ok ok ok i came to a giant conclusion on full face helmets and most of u are gonna call me crazy!!! i used to bee all about the full face... However i went for a trek on my roomates 1000 cc crotchrocket on some nice twisties yesterday omg what fun ii had for the first time in years i went to a full face and all the benifits were here no wind in the face ect... however it took my relitive notion of speed and through it out the window... i couldnt feel the wind in my face... i was cruisin along and i wouldnt say recklessly i was enjoying the ride... i look down and holy shat 160mph i new i was clippin but i figured i would bee around 100 i was wrong... the bike felt great smooth and solid at that speed and never felt "unsafe" but by speed alone unsafe is not a word that can be used... I should never feel comfortable at this speed

I also came to the conclusion that no matter how bad i may want something for the twisties i need to just saddle up in something my careless acts cant follow... i know the protection form the full face is there but if i was wearing my half shell there is no way i would have been clippin at that speed... this is just food for thought and am curious on the replies...

Stator #3
MF AGM
DeGoated
Ears Shaved
R/R relocated
Rebuilt

She's worth her weight in GOLD
If u dont have it already Here is the Service Manual
How To Test the Stator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 09:28 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I never have that problem wearing my full face. But of course I usually ride with the shield cracked open a little bit to let some more air in so I hear more of the wind and engine noise. Also with the shield open or fully closed, I've learned to listen to the sound of the engine at speeds so I have an idea of what it should sound like at 55MPH in 5th or 65-90MPH, I also look at my speedo every few minutes when I look at my mirrors just to make sure. My usual routine is Left mirror-Speedo-Fuel-Tach-Right mirror about every 2-3 minutes. I've been trying to teach myself to shift by sound but still always check my RPM's. So I guess because I'm so use to paying attention to my gauges, I have only ever found myself only going 5MPH faster than what I'm trying to go.

My daily ride
Metzler ME880s
NGK caps, wires and Iridiums
Coasters (made by Lance328), earshave and rejet with screws turned out 3 turns
Volt gauge w/ custom mounting cup by Lance328 wired into headlight bucket 13.5v-14v
National Cycles Plexistar 2 windshield
DEKA battery
Mutazu GA Black hard bags w/ custom support brackets and relocation brackets made by Lance328
Custom lowers made by Lance328
Vance&Hines Cruzer exhaust pipes
TOC MCCTs
H.I.D. Conversion kit

Last edited by VN750_DawgsFan; 09-18-2009 at 09:34 AM.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 09:31 AM

I also noticed this - as I got a full facer about a week ago - did the same thing looking at the speedo and going way faster than I thought - I was also less fearfull at the speed than if I was with a turtle shell helm. Not fearless cuz of the full face - was just a feeling inside - cant really explain in text heh.
________
BBW Webcams

Last edited by MisterPister; 05-11-2011 at 06:39 PM.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 11:51 AM

Never mind feeling safer at high speed........

My wife and I went down at 20 mph in May wearing half helmets. She broke her eyebrow and cheekbone and only her goggles saved her from losing her eyesight in one eye. If you think you ever will go down (plan on it if you ride long enough) then definitely full face is a good idea.

I really prefer the half helmet - I think it gives me better situational awareness in the city - but I think it will be FF from now on.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Simple Solutions

tough luck on the accident sorry to hear that...
like many i and my passenger are more then lucky to be alive....
A motorcycle can turn an accident into an assault/homicide in a split second how much are u willing to risk????

A passenger has no control over throttle and brake, When a bike goes down the passenger tends to have a lot less reaction time there is a lot of input and output in the seconds befor impact...
i request my passengers to be in full gear full face esp boots and gloves .
I couldnt handle hurtin anyone...
Keep it vertical and stay safe!
Quote:
Originally Posted by haithabu View Post
Never mind feeling safer at high speed........

My wife and I went down at 20 mph in May wearing half helmets. She broke her eyebrow and cheekbone and only her goggles saved her from losing her eyesight in one eye. If you think you ever will go down (plan on it if you ride long enough) then definitely full face is a good idea.

I really prefer the half helmet - I think it gives me better situational awareness in the city - but I think it will be FF from now on.

Stator #3
MF AGM
DeGoated
Ears Shaved
R/R relocated
Rebuilt

How To Test the Stator
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 12:27 PM
Chucklehead

The only downside I ever had with the full-face was a hayfever sneezing attack at 60 ....

Had to pull over and let the chin bar drip for 3 minutes .....

87 vn750at least that is what the frame #'s say
"Squirrel Bike" aka Jersey

Rat bike with a good PR agent

shaved and coastered
2 into 1 exhaust
rear 170 and front 110
Relocated R/R
custom dash with voltmeter
Spitfire windscreen
Plutonium plugs
Recovered seat without "butt hammers"
More to come
Praise to the Parts Goddess Crobins for needed things

When someone tells me "Great minds think alike" all I can think is "You Pervert"
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 12:35 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Have only worn a FF, so don't have anything less to compare it to. The engine sound pretty much tells me about how fast I'm going. I check the gauges frequently, but don't recall ever going a lot faster than planned.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 12:52 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

This is a new idea on the pro`s and con`s of wearing a FF helmet. I know from reading that a high percentage of strikes to the head in an accident are to the lower face, which is not covered by my present "turtle shell" 1/2 helmet. However all the FF helmets that I have tried on are claustrophobic to me and seem unwearable with eyeglasses. I suppose that I need to expand my search to more manufacturers, and a higher price range than I have to this time.

BTW seebeeare, IMHO, I think much of the reason you found yourself traveling so fast, was because the helmet was only one of two new variables on this ride. Certainly it cut down on the wind in your face buffeting, and also the engine noise. But if you have been riding only your vn750 for some time, getting on a "1000 cc crotch rocket" will make it very easy to exceed your normal cruising speed with all that power still on tap, at the point where the vn is giving her all.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 09-18-2009 at 01:14 PM.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Simple Solutions

or hittin a bump and swallowin a full mouth of chew spit ..oh shat i need to puke
or how do i light my smoke:

Stator #3
MF AGM
DeGoated
Ears Shaved
R/R relocated
Rebuilt

How To Test the Stator
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 01:12 PM

When it is chilly at all or possibly wet, or if I am doing alot of miles in a day I prefer the full face. I feel less worn out at the end of a long day.

That said, I really prefer the 1/2 helmet. When I am just out for an enjoyable ride in warm weather I can't stand being "cooped up" in the big helmet. It is a risk I am aware of and accept.

"Shutting up rarely leads to anything bad"

Joe McAdoo
Springfield, MO
[email protected]
VROC # 28175
-2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic 22000 miles
-1995 VN750 (Back home again!) 25000 miles
-1995 Suzuki DR350 Dualsport 1720 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement