Near miss with stupid cager - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Near miss with stupid cager

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes.

OK so, I was on my way home tonight from playing a free NL hold'em tourny (which I lost by the way) and I'm only 3 miles from home when this jackass in a minivan in the right hand lane starts to move over into the middle lane on me. I know he had to see because I was wearing my bright orange safety vest and laying on the horn. He then proceeds to jerk the wheel and cut hard left all the way across three lanes to the left turn lane, cutting me off and causing me to get on the brakes hard. The back wheel started to lock up on me and kick around to my right so I kept the handlebars pointing straight and let off the brakes real quick and thankfully the bike corrected itself. Apparently this complete friggin moron felt that his needing to turn left at the next intersection, was more important than my safety and my life. Probable wasn't the smartest thing to do, but as I rode past him I gave him the one finger wave. Thankfully I had the sharp, quick reflexes to avoid collision and avoid laying her down. I'm also glad that I'm finally taking the MSC my DMV provides next weekend to learn more techniques for handling and avoiding such ignorant and careless behavior.

It ceases to amaze me how dumb, ignorant, careless and wreckless cages are toward us.

My daily ride
Metzler ME880s
NGK caps, wires and Iridiums
Coasters (made by Lance328), earshave and rejet with screws turned out 3 turns
Volt gauge w/ custom mounting cup by Lance328 wired into headlight bucket 13.5v-14v
National Cycles Plexistar 2 windshield
DEKA battery
Mutazu GA Black hard bags w/ custom support brackets and relocation brackets made by Lance328
Custom lowers made by Lance328
Vance&Hines Cruzer exhaust pipes
TOC MCCTs
H.I.D. Conversion kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 11:04 AM

Glad you're OK. As you know, it could have been a lot worse. I think most cagers simply don't recognize the vulnerability of bikers. They're just oblivious. I try to position myself so it's hard for someone to cut me off by being well in front of, or behind cagers. That's not always possible, of course, but the nimbleness of the Vulcan helps.

Had a lady in a Hummer tailgateing me a few weeks back. I tried "waving" her back with my left hand, but she never backed off. May have been on her cell. She finally turned, and I went around the block to speak with her, telling myself I needed to project a positive, non-threatning attitude. I approached her and asked if she would do me a favor, the next time she was following a bike, allow more following distance. I explained that a bike can go down for a variety of reasons (blowout, sand, gravel, etc.) and if the following vehicle is too close I may survive the fall, but not being run over. She replied "Thanks, I will." Her response really surprised me.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 05:32 PM
Redneck on a rice burner

Location: American by birth,Southern by the grace of God ..,.AMEN !

That's how cagers drive in the Atlanta Metro .Glad your OK !I'm a local rider and deal with this ALL the time.You know if you get hit or run over, there gona RUN ! I"ve seen this on Thorton Rd & 20 two weeks ago. I was able to give the tag # ,make &model of this THUGS car to the police.No one else wanted to get involved,The rider is still in Cobb Hospital.His familey was Very greatful for the info I gave and the fact that I stoped.I REALLY HATE ATLANTA DRIVERS ! & I'm from here.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 08:07 PM
Undercover Sportbiker

This is exactly why when I'm on my bike, I ride a little faster than traffic - so I'm way out in front of the pack and have the entire road to use in case of random stupidity. Glad you're OK, cause that story could have ended way worse. As sad as it is to say, I had a guy do exactly the same thing to me the other day. Difference is I was in my big a$$ Ford F150 crew cab, which begs the question how could he not have seen me? Right wrong or indiffferent, but the next cage that does it to me while I'm in my truck is gonna experience the PIT maneuver.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 11:54 PM

Yesterday I was on a two lane straight country road. There were two vehicles in oncomming lane. Vehicle #1 slowed and signaled for right turn. Vehicle #2 suddenly decided to pass and faced me head-on in my lane 50yards from me. I know he saw me and figured I'd get out of his way, and he was right. I gave him 90% of my lane and he was off to the races. My first emotion was disbelief. If I had been going faster or looking other than at him, I would be dead now. You don't survive head-on crashes with the 4 wheelers. I tried to think of description of the vehicle, and all I could come up with was "BIG'!!!

57 years experience,Zero accidents. Starting with 1947 Indian Chief. Now VN750 , V65 Magna, Burgman scooter.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 12:30 AM

I had the same situation only diffferent scenario I was in my Ram 1500 when (no offense AZ) but this kid on a crotch rocket came whipping by me and split me and the car on my right front quarter he missed my truck by no more than two feet I even lost sight of his rear lic plate. To make it worse he was riding with one hand the other was on his waist. I know he saw me since he tried to take off my right front blinker.
I had a nissan hit my left front of my Ram last weekend when we were letting him cut into traffic and as he was looking to the right and turning left turned into and hit my truck. Fortunately his insurance paid me $800 for repairs the bumper and other damage only cost me $160 so now I can get the MCCT for my 750

BTW DAWGFAN glad your OK

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 10:01 AM

My community college here in lynchburg, va, has an amazing course that last three days and teaches everything you could imagine on motorcycle safty.

1986 Vn750
18,800 miles, and counting
Bone Stock
New cam chain tentioners
all fluids changed
Spline Lube
windshield
Engine Guard
B-stone S11 RWL-stock sizes
*wanted*
New grips

2001 Vn750
13,100 miles, and counting
spline lube
Bridgestone S11 100/90
Shinko 170/80
rear end oil change
aftermarket mirrors
windshield
otherwise all stock
*anticipated mods*
Engine Guard
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wileysden View Post
That's how cagers drive in the Atlanta Metro .Glad your OK !I'm a local rider and deal with this ALL the time.You know if you get hit or run over, there gona RUN ! I"ve seen this on Thorton Rd & 20 two weeks ago. I was able to give the tag # ,make &model of this THUGS car to the police.No one else wanted to get involved,The rider is still in Cobb Hospital.His familey was Very greatful for the info I gave and the fact that I stoped.I REALLY HATE ATLANTA DRIVERS ! & I'm from here.
Thanks everyone

I hate them too. These idiots were a couple dumb (and probably drunk) rednecks in a minivan on Pleasant Hill Rd near Gwinnett Place Mall. I figured them for dumb Mexican since there are a lot of them around here until I saw the passenger when I passed them. He was giving me this ugly look like it was MY fault they almost wrecked me and that I was suppose to get out of their way because they needed to turn or something. That's why I gave them the one finger wave. But again, that probably wasn't the smartest thing to do.

The Asians here around the Duluth area are even worse because they already don't know how to drive, especially the women (sorry if I offend anyone) and then they expect you to yield to them when they need to pull out in their brand new Mercades Benz or Lexus, even if you have the right of way! And then they drive 10MPH under the speed limit in the fast lane, usually on their damn cell phones!

My daily ride
Metzler ME880s
NGK caps, wires and Iridiums
Coasters (made by Lance328), earshave and rejet with screws turned out 3 turns
Volt gauge w/ custom mounting cup by Lance328 wired into headlight bucket 13.5v-14v
National Cycles Plexistar 2 windshield
DEKA battery
Mutazu GA Black hard bags w/ custom support brackets and relocation brackets made by Lance328
Custom lowers made by Lance328
Vance&Hines Cruzer exhaust pipes
TOC MCCTs
H.I.D. Conversion kit

Last edited by VN750_DawgsFan; 07-05-2009 at 10:42 AM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 08:02 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

Glad you came out of this OK!
Gotta always be ready for stupid people doing stupid things!!!!!

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 04:39 PM

so, lesson for the day for noob riders like myself: Never underestimate the stupidity of strangers.......or anyone in a cage

Rook
Conway, AR
VROC # 30581
WBRA #90237-1
2009 1700 Nomad (mine)
2003 VN750 "Prozac" (now hers)
25'000 miles at purchase
Coastered
Ears shaved
Cobra exhaust

So, why is a raven like a writing desk?
Sponsored Links