Flashing your high beams at intersections - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

Flashing your high beams at intersections

Hey guys,

I'm a big fan of toggling my headlight when I approach intersections. Some people argue that drivers may read that as a "go ahead" signal saying that they can pull out in front of me.

I've been doing the normal toggling for a while now with very few problems. It breaks the monotony of daytime running lights, parking lights and other things cars often come standard with these days. Drivers seem to be trained to react to flashing and blinking lights from turn signals, ambulances, police cars, and construction vehicles etc..., so why not use that to our advantage.

I came up with a method that accomplishes two things: 1. It allows me to flash my headlight. and 2. It avoids the "go ahead" issue that comes with the usual lo-hi-lo method. Here it is... When approaching a "loaded" intersection i.e. one that has cars waiting to pull out, I do a "hi-2 lo-1" light toggle. Turn on your high beam for a two count and go back to lo for one count. It's not something like the usual flashing rhythm people are used to. Seems to be pretty affective in my experience, but I'm also a new rider.

What do you guys think?

1994 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 named Jinba Ittai (Japanese for "Horse and rider in perfect harmony").
Jardine Pipes
Splines Lubricated
Painted Instrument Bezels
Headlight Visor
Chrome engine guard
Leather Fork Bag (contents: Pressure gauge, tools, and a Book of Psalms)
Yuaso MF AGM Motocross battery
Kenda Kruz Front tire
Duro Boulevard rear tire

"Buy the ticket, take the ride."
-Hunter S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 09:18 AM
Drive less, ride more...

Naturally, everyone you talk to will give you a different opinion on this.

I think you're on the right track, but if you really feel this is an effective strategy, go ahead and "bite the bullet" and get a headlamp modulator. They're a relatively simple install. These devices come with sensors that turn them off automatically at night, avoiding an obvious major problem.

I don't run mine all the time, but when traffic conditions start to get "busy" I do turn mine on.

Despite what others may have told you, they're legal in all 50 states--and also in Canada.

It's good motorcycle courtesy to turn the modulator off when stopped (at intersections, for example)--or anytime you're stuck immediately behind any vehicle(s). It's also generally good form not to use it when riding inside a good-sized group (i.e., 5 or more bikes).

Since you've described yourself as a "new rider"....also consider reading Proficient Motorcycling by David L Hough (if you haven't already). A fantastic and very interesting read for newer riders.

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 11:30 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to cglennon
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcRider24 View Post
Hey guys,

I'm a big fan of toggling my headlight when I approach intersections. Some people argue that drivers may read that as a "go ahead" signal saying that they can pull out in front of me.

I've been doing the normal toggling for a while now with very few problems. It breaks the monotony of daytime running lights, parking lights and other things cars often come standard with these days. Drivers seem to be trained to react to flashing and blinking lights from turn signals, ambulances, police cars, and construction vehicles etc..., so why not use that to our advantage.

I came up with a method that accomplishes two things: 1. It allows me to flash my headlight. and 2. It avoids the "go ahead" issue that comes with the usual lo-hi-lo method. Here it is... When approaching a "loaded" intersection i.e. one that has cars waiting to pull out, I do a "hi-2 lo-1" light toggle. Turn on your high beam for a two count and go back to lo for one count. It's not something like the usual flashing rhythm people are used to. Seems to be pretty affective in my experience, but I'm also a new rider.

What do you guys think?
Do this in New England where I am originally from and every car at the intersection will cut you off. In fact they ignore all two wheeled vehicle, regardless of lighting technique. Furthermore, flashing, blinking whatever in that region means 'I yield right of way to you, NOW MOVE-IT!'. However, in Portland, OR where I now live, there is no need to flash or blink. Portland auto drivers yield right of way to an two wheeled vehicle.

You might want to look into a headlight modulator device. Basically, it flashes the hi/lo beam constantly for better visibility while riding.

Chris Glennon - Portland, OR

Last edited by cglennon; 07-01-2009 at 11:34 AM.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 11:43 AM
Vintage bike addict

Do that here you'll be run over. Flashing the headlight says you first!

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Eleanor Roosevelt.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 12:47 PM

here in pa to, that means your giving pasage to on comming trafic....like go ahead, you first.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 01:39 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

In daylight hours I usually run with the hi beam light on full time. It might be a little annoying to drivers facing me, but it doesn`t blind anyone, as it would at night.

I like the idea of the headlight and brakelight modulators, but haven`t pried my wallet open for them yet.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 06:51 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Leave the lights alone, and hit your HORN. This says, in just about every place I have been .."Look out and get the Hell out of my Way!!!!"

Nothing works better, other than pulling out an Uzi and and firing a full clip into the air as you approach the intersection.
Bullets being expensive, I prefer the Horn when I am in doubt of everyones intentions.

Flashing you high beam usualy means around here either that there is cop ahead . slow down........or , zero in on my light and hit me.

You might have them confused now, but at some point some dufus is going to cut you off , and say to you as the ambulance takes you away.."Sorry, but you signaled me to go ahead."

So, next time, try the horn. And I would suggest installing a LOUDER one if you can.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 07:05 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
I do the High beam thing too.In one of my DOH! moments I asked MY CBR riding Friend why so many CBR's Had the left light out and he told me, 1 on low 2 on high and that he leaves his on high in the daytime because he wanted to be seen even if they didn't want to,I thought it was good point, so I do too now.Even if Ted did think I was a moron,I eventually catch on!!

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 10:30 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I have a modulator and their is al,ost no way anyone will take it for "go ahead"' The flash is to quick and repetative. That said I also have 130 DB horns to get their attention if they can't see the bike and flashing lights

Rckmtn
Dennis Huff
Cheyenne, Wy.
05 VN 750
KURYAKYN grips, helmet locks, and highway pegs
Spitfire windshield
Saddleman saddlebags/sissybar bag
Highwayman gelseat with Protac backrest
self canx turnsignals
Diamondstar headlight modulator
Jardine 2 into 2
MCC turn signal relocator and floorboards
Luggage rack
Extended passenger backrest
KURYAKYN LED voltmeter
Custom tank bra with analog clock
Snider paint protector on tank side
130 DB horns
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 01:12 AM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
I put in a Diamond star headlight modulator, keeps the headlight flickering all the time.
http://www.signaldynamics.com/produc...dStar/dshm.asp

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement