Get Out of My Lane!!! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Rider on the Storm

Garage
Get Out of My Lane!!!

I don't know if it's my imagination or not, but in seems to me that cars are veering into my lane more than ever. They just don't seem to "see" me, even when I'm wearing my bright yellow jacket and white helmet. Fortunately, so far, they've "heard" me when I lay on my anaemic horn and bounce back to where they belong.

I recently purchased a Stebel Nautilus horn, but I haven't installed it yet (hope it's easy; I know nothing about electrical wiring). My hope is that it will help me stay alive.

Meanwhile, I will continue to ride as if I am invisible.

EZC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 11:55 AM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

try to stay out of the cage's blind spots. the problem I get is when the cage is moving into my lane is that the cage is crossing the double yellow line and comming right at me!! there is no way that I'm in there blind spot, they just don't look!

Last edited by ruger; 06-08-2009 at 11:59 AM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 12:32 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

A lady this morning pulled out of a side road in front of me, she had to turn left to enter the road and no one in front or behind me, I on my 1500 with the light bar, all three lights on. I had to nearly skid the bike to slow enough not to hit her. Then she was doing 30 and the speed limit is 55. I pulled around her and she was holding the cell phone up to her left ear! She had her window half down so I laid on the pipes when I went by her. Its nearly always the cell phone users! Man!

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 01:12 PM

do what i do i carry a bag of marbles ( dose the trick)
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedy1dad View Post
do what i do i carry a bag of marbles ( dose the trick)
I hope you are kidding!

Fergy
2002 VN1500 Classic
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 02:38 PM

Garage
I know a guy that is more adamant about being cut off than most,while riging around 270 a car almost took him out ,to say the least this old boy is excitable,This had to be back in the late seventies or early eighties when cars still had hollow extendable antennas ,this Idiot pulls up close enough to the car to kick it ,and that wasn't enough to do him,so at about 70 mph he jerked the antennae out of the car and started beating on it trying to get this guy to pull over and this went on for half a mile while the other two of us watched this circus act thinking we are all going to jail.well the car took an off ramp at a high rate of speed leaving John behind .and us relieved,when we stopped he said did you see that idiot?We just said yea ,we did we didn't ask which one.I believe I saw road rage invented that day ,today it would be on an episode of cops,I haven't seen him for about twenty years but ,He's living out your way now Fergy,he still calls Ted from some where in Texas.I hear he has calmed down a little, obviously God Loves every body or John wouldn't still be with us.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 02:41 PM
D2u
D2u

Still LMAO that's a great ,and funny story! Ah the good ole day's...

1992 VN750 22,350 miles 18,700 when I bought it last year 04/17/2008

Streetshield EX
degoat
drilled mufflers
splines lubed
Capped (soon to be coaster)
Custom Grips
Wide blade levers
Throw over leather saddlebags
Deka MF AGM ETX15L
NGK Iridums
DIY Brackets,and highway pegs

To do list.
custom seat
teardrop mirrors
DIY Floor boards
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 05:21 PM
Straight roads are evil

Yeah, funny story haha, but one swerve and the rider is dead. Cagers may be asshats sometimes, but the law of tonnage says they win EVERY confrontation.

Avoid. Escape. Slow down or speed up, but get away. Live to ride another day.

The journey is the destination.

2006 VN750 (SOLD)
63160 miles
Mustang seat
R/R Relocate
MCCT
MF Battery
Red spark plug wires
Stainless Steel brake lines
Stiffer fork springs
Windshield
Givi bags, Wingrack mount
Voltmeter
GPS Mount
Pashnit sticker!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 05:36 PM

I agree! It's funny in the sense that we can laugh about it now, but we all know that could have been bad for the biker if the cager had swerved just a tad. You're right, the bike loses every battle with a cage. And you never know what the cager is thinking. I don't believe most of them are trying to kill us when they do the ignorant stuff they do to nearly cause us to crash. Its easy to get blind angry when something like that happens to one of us, but you really have to survive to ride another day! There is no good way of putting a cager in their place, and violence certainly makes things go bad in a hurry. Beyond putting a camera on the bike that can shoot video full time, there really is nothing you can do but pay attention and keep your escape routes planned. The video would probably invade someone's rights anyway!

Fergy
2002 VN1500 Classic
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 06:34 PM
Old Fart

Garage
As I have to commute on a major highway to work and back, and in some reasonalby thick traffic, my usual game plan to not end up with a wrecked bike and a busted up body is to stay in the far left lane. I then pick out a nice expensive car driving on my right. BMW's driven by young Yuppie looking guys are the best bet. I position myself so I am riding right next to his left front wheel.
And I try to stay there. I know am not in his blind spot..I am in his forward view. If he for some unknown reason begins to slip into my lane, I can pick it up quickly as I keep an eye on his front tire. I leave enough space so if needed I can quickly accellerate ahead...or if need be I can brake hard and let him use my lane if traffic suddenly grinds to a halt.

Given the fact that none of the lanes move at the same speed...especialy in heavier traffic, I tend to jump ahead to the next car and follow the same plan..(but for some reason drivers of expensive sport cars seem to weave the least...even though one would think they would do it the most)

I also try to keep a "regular" car in front of me, even if I have to move around to do so. My thinking here is if I have to run into the back of something..I'd rather it be a car I can tumble over as opposed to a van or tall SUV which are basicly flat walls.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement