Speaking of cars pulling out... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Speaking of cars pulling out...

Just a couple things I notice as I ride and watch EVERYBODY.

You're riding down any main "artery" road, with alot of side streets or driveways, so there is always somebody ahead, to your right, who looks like they'll pull out in front of you.

Two things I see alot in these cases, around here where I live:

1-they always gotta keep slowly rolling forward, right up to the edge of the cross street. Always. They just won't sit f**king still until traffic clears.

2-(and this one is strange) As they approach the road they are about to turn onto, they always look to their RIGHT first. Rather than to their LEFT, which is where moving traffic is closest to them. WTF is that all about?

Regarding #2; it makes no difference which way they turn and it shouldn't, they still need to clear all the approaching traffic from their left to turn left or right.

(similar note on stupid people sightings: two days ago I rode along side a woman driving down the road who had some thing wrapped around her head, and was wearing glasses, which meant all/most of her peripheral vision was blocked. She was also holding a cell phone up square in front of her face reading/texting. I had to wonder if she was even aware she was driving a car)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 08:06 AM

Yeah. There's always someone. Sometimes even two.

Yesterday I got buzzed by a SUV trying to squeeze into a merging lane. He came up from behind me on my left and zipped ahead of me. I didn't see him since I was watching a car ahead and to the right which was drifting into my lane. That car eventually drifted back. I dropped my speed right away of course, as soon as I saw the SUV had passing momentum.

In a related issue, I see a lot of people come through the court system on felony traffic charges - Driving with License Suspended, three times or more. They're always amazed that some "traffic" charges can be felonies, punishable for up to five years. It's like there's a DUI/non-DUI dividing line in people's minds, and as long as you're not DUIing, no real harm happens out on the roadways.

Frankly though, the way some people drive normally, I'd *prefer* dealing with a weaving drunk moving at 10mph down the roadway. At least you know what you've got.

Not that it would ever happen, but I wonder how much safer roads would be if radios/CD players were banned from automobiles and cell phone usage was enforced at least as strictly as seat-belt laws. Too many distractions are built in. And, sad to say, there are a lot of easily distracted people out there.

Scheherazade
'86 VN750
MF Battery, Iridium Plugs, RR relocated, Voltmeter, 170/80/15 Kenda Kruz rear tire, DIY Samsonite hard bags, DIY shaved seat with Beaded seat pad ('cause that's how I roll) and the dreaded STATOR CHANGE.

Shining Black Bess '86 VN750, retired for parts after a fried stator and being knocked (kee-runch) in her parking spot.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 08:16 AM

Garage
[QUOTE=750Doug;98746]Just a couple things I notice as I ride and watch

1-they always gotta keep slowly rolling forward, right up to the edge of the cross street. Always. They just won't sit f**king still until traffic clears.

2-(and this one is strange) As they approach the road they are about to turn onto, they always look to their RIGHT first. Rather than to their LEFT, which is where moving traffic is closest to them. WTF is that all about?

Besides them coasting forward and not stopping, usually when they do stop, their car is 3/4 past the line on the road where they were suppose to stop in the first place. I also like when you are at a light and the oncoming car trys to time the light turning green so he could turn in front of you before you start going.

"Show me a man who makes no mistakes, and I'll show you a man who doesn't do things." Theodore Roosevelt."

2007 Victory Kingpin
Current projects - 1986 VN750 & 1988 EL250

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 09:19 AM

one of my favorites is the guy next to you , who is not in the left turn lane , and makes a left turn when you are in the middle of your turn . this happens alot to me when i get off 696 and turn on to grossebeck. the offender looks at you like you were in the wrong by making a leagel left turn and almost getting run down.

DRAGONRIDER
RIDE LONG AND RIDE SAFE
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 11:16 AM
The Reanimater

Here's the 2 I like.........

1. Your following behind and the guy in front of you signals a right turn. Now instead of pulling to the right and making the turn he almost dead stops in the middle of the lane before he turns.

2. Same thing but before he turns right he moves half way into the left lane then back across the right lane to make the turn.

Sometimes as a bonus you don't get the turn signal.

JaY

"Veronica"
2002 VN750 Vulcan
Rebuilt Engine
ACCTs lubed w/TOC Springs
Pick-up Coils Gapped at .018"
Splines Lubed
Deka MF AGM EXT15L Battery
NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs
R/R Relocation Fix
New Rear Rack
Stock Seat Repadded
Ext-BackRest
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 01:13 PM
izy

I used to follow the left, right left.
This was when I was making a right turn from the workplace drive with the car, but....
I do the left right left and it was still almost not enough. Because this time someone started passing the driver coming at me from the right (opposite lane) which now put them in MY lane. Except,... it really isn't my established lane yet. Would have been my fault with a head-on. Can't imagine the what-if if I was riding!!!
Now I'm scanning everywhere again all the time. As I've seen for myself, it might be me.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 01:02 PM

Personally, I love the wizards who see you there, but either a) cut across your lane of travel from a side-street on the left or b) turn left in front of you who, in either case, don't have enough time or space to clear from your lane before you get there, forcing you to slow down, change lanes, or both, in a hurry.

I also love the jewels who exit the freeway and believe that their right of way extends to any particular lane they wish to be in, including the space you're occupying three lanes over, instead of just the lane closest to the off-ramp.

--FA

K.J. "Fire Ant" Lord
VROC #28807
Decatur, TX
'03 VN750 "Serenity"

Rear Turn Signal Relocation
Front Brake Replacement
Spline lube, per Fergy's excellent instructions (that he has posted around here somewhere)
Kevlar Clutch Plates
Metzeler ME880 Tires
Stebel Nautilus Air Horn
ACCTs Rebuilt
Saddlemen Explorer Seat
MCCTs Installed
Kuryakyn Wide Levers Installed
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-24-2009, 02:15 PM
Old Fart

Garage
3. Even though they can see you approaching from up to a 1/2 mile away, they will still wait till the very last second to go ahead and pull out in front of you.
It almost seems they can't make up their minds on if they should go or not , and when they finally do, they seem to not understand that time moves forward and the car or bike coming down the road at them will be alot closer...

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Anybody see the driver who stands on the brake when the traffic light turns yellow, causing a similar reaction to most who are following, but then just before they stop completely they stomp the gas and blow thru the light as it turns red?

Besides being pre-occupied, or distracted, or just "not all there", indecision from other drivers out there is a real pain in the ass too.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 09:17 AM
D2u
D2u

I like the ass clown that rides up on your ass but doesnt have the balls to pass you! On another note I noticed that when I have my full face helm,and a different jacket on I seem to get less respect from cagers.I don't know what thats all about. I think maybe they fear the H/D riders,and when I'm wearing my half helm,leather jacket,and the fact that my bike has a real nice deep rumble to it they cant tell What kinda bike i'm on.It's strange,and it is always the same.

1992 VN750 22,350 miles 18,700 when I bought it last year 04/17/2008

Streetshield EX
degoat
drilled mufflers
splines lubed
Capped (soon to be coaster)
Custom Grips
Wide blade levers
Throw over leather saddlebags
Deka MF AGM ETX15L
NGK Iridums
DIY Brackets,and highway pegs