Rate your gear - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Rate your gear

This was big rep's Idea ,I am not trying to take credit for it.We were talking about how hard it is to find motorcycle gear that is sized like regular clothes.So if you have had a good experience with a particular brand or product here is your chance ,The idea is to find out who we can order our clothing from without the hassle of sending it back,We want to talk about safety equipment for personal wear not bike accessories.Helmets, Jackets, Rain gear ,gloves ,shoes,boots and the like .Wanna help out?
I'll start I Have an ExElement Jacket that I bought from Motorcycle superstore that is sized like their chart says.I have a pair of River Road gloves that have the gel inserts that are good quality for a fair price,I have a Vega Altura helmet that fits but is rather noisy and I am looking for some riding pants/kevlar jeans in size 44 ,if you know who sells them let me know.
now the down side Jafrum Leather coats are about 3 sizes smaller than the tag says ,EXl is close on their sizing but have very cheap zipper.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 10:32 AM

dont worry about credit denny.... i see it as a group project.....

now i have a powertrip mesh jacket whose model excapes me at the moment... it fits pretty close to normal however it can e restrictive at times and the collar seems a bit stiff and sharp..

olympia gel insert gloves with the hard nuckles - very comfortable with alot of venting.... hard knucks didnt withstand an hour with my dog so im not sure how they would have done in a crash but because of comfort i would deffinetly buy them again...(i have thick paws and they fit good)

scorpion exo 400 - great venting and very stable in the wind. cheek padding is a little hard even after 2 riding seasons... they have aftermarket chin skirts that once put on make it very quiet..... only thing i notice is when you turn your head from side to side the vents whistle from the wind...
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 10:03 PM
Big Dumb Viking

Send a message via AIM to asbrand Send a message via MSN to asbrand Send a message via Yahoo to asbrand
I've had some good luck with http://leatherup.com/

I'm a big dude (6'2", 310#) and this jacket fits me perfectly:

https://www.leatherup.com/site/product?pid=40183

-Az
http://www.asbrand.com

1989 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

Upgrades so Far:
Coastered
R/R relocated
Analog Voltmeter
PFIII Windshield
RAM GPS Mount w/Garmin GPS
Cigarette Lighter Power Adapter
Saddlemen's Classic Explorer Seat
Pro-Tac Driver's Backrest
LED Tail Light
LED Rear Turn Signals
Luggage Rack
Storage Trunk
Engine Guard w/Highway Pegs
Radiator Grill Cover
Turn Signal Relocation Bracket
Saddlebags
Floorboards

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2009, 10:25 PM

hahaha i got you beat by 40 lbs....
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I just got in from 40 miles of rain and hail .I got lucky and was gassing up when the hail started,and waited that out and put on the rainsuit I found on clearance at a Honda/Kawasaki shop.It is a River Road 2 piece suit with a detachable hood,which will probably stay detached,size 3xl .I wear size 44 pantsand a 54 Jacket and this thing fits me and the surprise is it don't leak!It is made of vinyl has good zipper on the jacket with a velcro storm flap over it.the pants have stirrups to keep them from riding up and they unsnap to above the knee and expand so you can put them on over your shoes.Down side an elastic waist with no suspenders,but i have to admit I had no problem with them,I just don't like elastic,also they would probably melt if they came in contact with hot engine parts ,and not enough reflective material ,one small triangle on the jacket back,Up side velcro closures on the cuff and sleeves and plastic snaps to keep the legs tight.and all the high stress areas have reinforced joints.I would rate it a 4 out of 5 ,simply because it did what it was supposed to i.e. keep me dry and it was the size it said it was.this is the second piece of River Road equipment I have bought and I have been satisfied with both,and the rain suit did come of the clearance rack so the price of 32 bucks was right.I own a camo Goretex outfit that doesn't keep me any drier and it cost $250.

VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 04:54 PM

bikebandit.com has a really good selection of riding gear and the prices are usually better than dealers or superstores. Plus they try to accommodate bigger sizes as far as I know. I'm also looking for a decent looking pair of kevlar jeans. I don't know how well my American Eagle jeans would hold up in a slide...

1994 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 named Jinba Ittai (Japanese for "Horse and rider in perfect harmony").
Jardine Pipes
Splines Lubricated
Painted Instrument Bezels
Headlight Visor
Chrome engine guard
Leather Fork Bag (contents: Pressure gauge, tools, and a Book of Psalms)
Yuaso MF AGM Motocross battery
Kenda Kruz Front tire
Duro Boulevard rear tire

"Buy the ticket, take the ride."
-Hunter S. Thompson
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 01:19 PM
Rev. Dr.

For those of you with big heads who are finding it hard to get a helmet that fits...

I spent a good couple months trying to find a full-face helmet that fits me. I even tried some 3XL's that were too small. I finally settled on a Bell "Star" model size XL. I can wear it all day with no discomfort. It has great venting, so I hardly ever break a sweat (as long as I'm cruising), even in 90+ degree weather. Can't say enough good things about this helmet.

Lists for $500+ on some sites. Got mine from DSR Powersports in Omaha for less than $400. Worth every penny.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 04:29 PM

I got a Fieldsheer Eagle jacket based on the chart, it was two sizes too big (4x vs. 2x). The Fieldsheer Apollo 2 pants were spot on. The 3X fit my 44 waist just fine.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 10:57 PM
Old Fart

Garage

Makes you rethink those jeans don't it?

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
having experience with jeans on asphalt ,they last about five feet before being useless at around 40 mph I would love to find decent riding pants in larger sizes,fat people ride too.

VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement