What actions are you taking to stay safe? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

What actions are you taking to stay safe?

Crashes involving motorcycles happen. Its just a fact. Some are just the motorcycle, some are motorcycles and cars. Many of these crashes result in the rider being hurt or killed. Most of us know riders who have been hurt or killed. It happens and its real. But there are things we can do to reduce the odds of us getting hurt. What it comes down to is two things: avoiding the crash and minimizing injury if there is a crash. Take the quiz below and see how you score on keeping yourself safe.

Avoiding the Crash

Hazard Perception
a. I look well ahead and see hazards long before I get to them
b. I look as far ahead as the vehicle in front of me so I can respond when it does
c. I look at the road right in front of me

Riding Skills
a. I have taken professional training to improve my riding skills and I practice them
b. I read a book or magazine article about riding skills
c. I figure Ill just know what to do when the emergency happens

Being Seen
a. I have bright colors and retro-reflective material on my clothing, bike, and helmet to help me be seen
b. My jacket is black, but I wear a light colored helmet
c. I dress all in black and I ride a black bike

Drinking and Riding
a. I have a zero tolerance for alcohol when Im riding
b. I often have a drink or two and then ride home
c. Drinking and riding is just part of what we do

Minimizing Injury

Protective Gear
a. I wear all the gear all the time (boots, sturdy pants, jacket with armor, gloves, helmet, and eye protection)
b. I wear a jacket and helmet
c. I only wear gear for long rides; around town I just wear a t-shirt and sneakers

Scoring: a = 2 points, b = 1 point, c = 0 points
If you scored 0 3 points: You are probably leaving a lot of your safety to chance, and the odds have a way of catching up with you. Look through the questions above for suggestions on how to reduce your risk of being in a crash.
If you scored 4 7 points: You are off to a good start. You seem to be aware that much of your safety is up to you and that there are steps you can take. Keep on that track and look for more ways to reduce your crash risk.
If you scored 8 10 points: Great job! You understand that what happens to you when you ride is your responsibility and you are taking action. Keep up those good riding habits you never know when you will really need them.

Have to admit. I only got a score of 6 this time. I don't wear any bright colors when I ride and sometimes I wear only my helmet and boots with jeans and a T-shirt. Although all of these questions are important we should take note of the first one. It is OUR responsibility to be aware of what is going on around us. Unfortunately we will not be able to react to everything that happens but it is always good to be able to look at a situation and say, what if this happens? and have a plan to react if the situation occurs.

Have a good day and Ride Safe!

1989 VN750
Purchased 4/26/2008 @ 27,320 Mi

Upgrades:
Travelcade Mustang Seat
SpitFire Tinted Quick Release Windshield
Degoat, Drilled & Jetted
Leather Saddle Bags
Johar Signature Grips
Deka ETX15L Powersports AGM Battery
NGK DPR7EIX-9

Upcoming:
1991 VN750 Project Bike
Purchased 4/30/2011 @ 31,970 Mi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 08:27 AM

Just three things:

1. Helmet
2. HiVis jacket
3. Ride like everyone is out to hit me!

Worked for 37 years.

Ride safe,

DT

95 VN750 (eBay)31k+
GL1100 front fender
OEM engine guard
OEM high back rest
'V-Twin' HWY pegs
Black 750 Spectre handlebars
SunPro Volt Meter (Amazon)
Maier bug shield (JCW)
Bar Ends anti-vibe (JCW)
Emgo air filters
Tank bag-Eclipse
Tail bag-FroZone Cooler
Back Rest-Igloo 6 pak cooler
WalMart Saddle Bags
R/R Relocate
Dry Splines Lubed
AGM DieHard-Sears
Gutted Goat
Sporster XL Mufflers
LED's-stop,tail,turn,marker
Pickup coil mod to .45mm
Silverstar headlight
Rotella T6
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 11:06 AM

Thumbs up i need to emphasize this....

the choice: "I wear all the gear all the time "

i think this is a biggie... the gear is only needed when the accident happens and since we don't know when that will be, we need to wear it all the time.
if you only wear it 90% of the time, the accident will happen during the 10% its off.

my worse injury was when i had just done some work on my dirt bike and decided to just 'ride it around the back to check it out'. so didn't put my helmet on... 5 minutes later i'm unconscious on the ground with a messed up retina after my head bounced on the hard clay.

my helmet would have saved my eyesight.

96 Vulcan 750

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 11:10 AM
Drive less, ride more...

A most excellent post, VC.....in my personal opinion, if more riders internalized your above ideas and level of awareness, the MC accident/death rate would be much less than it is.

Also, I think it's obvious that if more riders took the above seriously, we as motorcyclists would garner a lot more badly-needed respect from the non-riding public.

You're absolutely right--even though the month of May has been designated as "Motorcycle Awareness Month" by the AMA and the US Congress, our safety is (unfortunately) ultimately our own responsibility.

In the spirit of your above posting, I'd like to offer the following link as food for thought to those who've not seen it...some of the info in it may save a crash or two someday--it's pretty cool:

http://www.highviz.org/

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/

Last edited by theauhawk; 05-19-2009 at 11:14 AM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 01:47 PM
Adventuregeek

Scored 10 of 10, but I'm the methodical, analytical type.

I have done many activities considered dangerous. These include thousands of miles of inline road skating, roller hockey, and seven years of aggressive mountain biking. I've stayed out of the ER by learning from the mistakes of others, thinking about what I'm doing, and taking every reasonable precaution I can.

I'm following that philosophy for motorcycling too. I owe nothing less to myself and my wife (who rides her own, safely and in bright armored gear). Armor never made me invulnerable, but always lessened the damage when I ate it!

Laissez les bon temps rouler!

Coastered, R&R relocation, MCCT's, Koso mirrors, Memphis Shades windshield, Mutazu GA hard bags, big monkey in the saddle. ATGATT: Olympia AST hi-viz jacket, Recon 2 (convertible) pants

Last edited by Tiki Mon; 05-21-2009 at 01:06 PM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 04:56 PM
Love My Baby

I've seen too many accidents where the motorcycle rider winds up in ICU on a ventilator, and often dies. (I work in a major trauma center in south Florida). Most of the time these riders were wearing a helmet, but they were either drinking or running from the cops or riding like maniacs or some combination of the above. My take on this is that the three most important things you can do to stay safe are:

1. Avoid alcohol and drugs (even if you're not riding a motorcycle)
2. Ride like everyone is out to hit you (thanks Dirtrack650)
3. Don't assume your gear will help you one stinking bit. That assumption might make you more likely to take stupid risks, because you think you're protected.

I'm not saying not to wear the gear, just not to assume it will protect you or make you invincible. That would be just as stupid as wearing your seat belt and driving like a maniac because your seat belt will protect you.

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light
Cortech mini tank bag on rear rack
Pirelli MT66 Tires: 110 front / 150 rear
Splines lubed when tires installed at 10,650 miles
Splines lubed again at 14,400 with stubby valve stem install

Place your mouse on the X below and drag to the O

X
Even though you can't see Him, GOD is there! O
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 09:06 PM

Valuable reminder!!

Many Thanx VC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanCruizer View Post
Crashes involving motorcycles happen. Its just a fact. Some are just the motorcycle, some are motorcycles and cars. Many of these crashes result in the rider being hurt or killed. Most of us know riders who have been hurt or killed. It happens and its real. But there are things we can do to reduce the odds of us getting hurt. What it comes down to is two things: avoiding the crash and minimizing injury if there is a crash. Take the quiz below and see how you score on keeping yourself safe.

Avoiding the Crash

Hazard Perception
a. I look well ahead and see hazards long before I get to them
b. I look as far ahead as the vehicle in front of me so I can respond when it does
c. I look at the road right in front of me

Riding Skills
a. I have taken professional training to improve my riding skills and I practice them
b. I read a book or magazine article about riding skills
c. I figure Ill just know what to do when the emergency happens

Being Seen
a. I have bright colors and retro-reflective material on my clothing, bike, and helmet to help me be seen
b. My jacket is black, but I wear a light colored helmet
c. I dress all in black and I ride a black bike

Drinking and Riding
a. I have a zero tolerance for alcohol when Im riding
b. I often have a drink or two and then ride home
c. Drinking and riding is just part of what we do

Minimizing Injury

Protective Gear
a. I wear all the gear all the time (boots, sturdy pants, jacket with armor, gloves, helmet, and eye protection)
b. I wear a jacket and helmet
c. I only wear gear for long rides; around town I just wear a t-shirt and sneakers

Scoring: a = 2 points, b = 1 point, c = 0 points
If you scored 0 3 points: You are probably leaving a lot of your safety to chance, and the odds have a way of catching up with you. Look through the questions above for suggestions on how to reduce your risk of being in a crash.
If you scored 4 7 points: You are off to a good start. You seem to be aware that much of your safety is up to you and that there are steps you can take. Keep on that track and look for more ways to reduce your crash risk.
If you scored 8 10 points: Great job! You understand that what happens to you when you ride is your responsibility and you are taking action. Keep up those good riding habits you never know when you will really need them.

Have to admit. I only got a score of 6 this time. I don't wear any bright colors when I ride and sometimes I wear only my helmet and boots with jeans and a T-shirt. Although all of these questions are important we should take note of the first one. It is OUR responsibility to be aware of what is going on around us. Unfortunately we will not be able to react to everything that happens but it is always good to be able to look at a situation and say, what if this happens? and have a plan to react if the situation occurs.

Have a good day and Ride Safe!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 03:50 PM

I'm actually a fan of the direct approach: I just come right out and ask her if she's on the pill...
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 06:42 PM

Garage
I scored an 8 on that test but it didn't ask about what rubyrick brought out,I won't lie I ride too fast, too much,and I know I shouldn't but I'm like a rat eating D-con I love it and it might kill me.I have a Corolla and Oldsmobile and an old Dodge 4x4,for the times I don't have the urge to act like an almost 50 year old Idiot ,come to think of it, I'm going riding,Denny

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 08:19 PM
Vintage bike addict

There wasn't any basic rider courses when I started. I don't believe loud pipes will save and I believe bright clothing is just as ineffective. I always wear my helmet. I always assume no one sees me or cares. For every other vehicle on the road I think "What is the dumbest thing they can do?" and I plan for it. I use that plan more often than not.
Save for mopeds and bicycles every other vehicle on the road is bigger than my bike. I give them the right of way. Road rage, drinking, anger or just being offended are indulgences best avoided when on two wheels. It's been 40 years since my first bike. This attitude and good maintenance have kept me out of harms way.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Eleanor Roosevelt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement