Are you "Leading by example"? The "courtesy quiz" - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Are you "Leading by example"? The "courtesy quiz"

Good luck with the quiz!

May is Motorcycle Awareness Month – a time when “sharing the road” becomes a real buzz phrase. We have all experienced sharing the road with drivers who are less than courteous. At one time or another, we have all probably also been that driver or rider who was less than courteous. We also all know that if road users were courteous and shared the road with each other, many crashes (and injuries and fatalities) would be avoided. If there is one thing I have learned in this world, it’s that the only person’s behavior you can really change is your own. So in the spirit of leading by example, let’s see how well we are doing at showing others how to be courteous. Challenge yourself with the “Courtesy Quiz.”

Letting others know my intentions:
a. I signal all my lane changes, merges, and turns - even in parking lots and pulling to and from the curb.
b. I usually give a blink or two before I move over.
c. Hey, it’s none of their business where I’m going!

Passing:
a. I keep well back before a pass and get well ahead of the vehicle before pulling back in front of them.
b. I’ll sometimes pass on a double yellow or with a turn coming up, but I do it really fast so I’m not in harm’s way.
c. If the car in front of me is going slow, I get close to their bumper to encourage them to speed up.

Traffic Signals:
a. When approaching a stop sign, I always come to a full stop.
b. I come to “rolling stops” at stop signs.
c. I slow down for stop signs, but if no one is coming, I ride on through.

Merging:
a. I watch for other vehicles trying to merge and make space for them.
b. I’ll let someone in, but only if they are signaling.
c. I adjust my speed to block other vehicles from merging in front of me.

“Communicating:”
a. When I make a mistake, or accidentally cut someone off, I give the “oops – my bad” wave.
b. If someone else makes a mistake, I honk my horn to show my displeasure.
c. If a driver doesn’t see me and cuts me off, I flip them the bird (‘cuz that’ll show ‘em!)

Scoring: a = 2 pts, b = 1 pt, c = 0 pts

If you scored 0 – 4 points:
Well, to put it bluntly – you are probably part of the problem. Riding in a discourteous manner not only increases your personal risk of a crash, but it encourages other road users to speak out against all bikers (and perhaps legislate against us).

If you scored 5 – 7 points: You are in solid middle ground. You put in efforts to share the road with others, but it sounds like sometimes you forget that there are other people out there.

If you scored 8 – 10 points: Great job! You provide a good example for other riders and other drivers to follow. Keep it up!

If you would like to become more a part of the solution, look through the quiz for clues about what you can do differently. Also, when you are out on the road, pay attention to what you and others are doing to share the road. You can learn both what TO do as well as what NOT to do. Let’s get out there, enjoy the spring riding – and set a good example for ALL road users to be courteous and share the road.

I took the quiz and I got a 100. My teachers would be so proud!

1989 VN750
Purchased 4/26/2008 @ 27,320 Mi

Upgrades:
Travelcade Mustang Seat
SpitFire Tinted Quick Release Windshield
Degoat, Drilled & Jetted
Leather Saddle Bags
Johar Signature Grips
Deka ETX15L Powersports AGM Battery
NGK DPR7EIX-9

Upcoming:
1991 VN750 Project Bike
Purchased 4/30/2011 @ 31,970 Mi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 08:42 AM

i got cought cheatting , i got a big 0

DRAGONRIDER
RIDE LONG AND RIDE SAFE
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 10:00 AM
D2u
D2u

I scored an 8 cause i got a 0 on the last one! LMAO

1992 VN750 22,350 miles 18,700 when I bought it last year 04/17/2008

Streetshield EX
degoat
drilled mufflers
splines lubed
Capped (soon to be coaster)
Custom Grips
Wide blade levers
Throw over leather saddlebags
Deka MF AGM ETX15L
NGK Iridums
DIY Brackets,and highway pegs

To do list.
custom seat
teardrop mirrors
DIY Floor boards

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 02:46 AM
The Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonrider View Post
i got cought cheatting , i got a big 0
Your not alone, I got cought too. I flashed my HK 45 and I passed with flying colors.

85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Last edited by lance328; 07-06-2009 at 12:49 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 07:45 AM
Vintage bike addict

While I do all that the quiz suggests. Which is very good. I also keep in mind every vehicle out there is bigger than mine. I also ride as though everyone looking sees only what is beyond or around me. I'm invisible. I never assume I've been seen. I plan for the dumbest move the other guy can make. I'm always using that plan.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Eleanor Roosevelt.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 11:44 AM
D2u
D2u

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiq View Post
While I do all that the quiz suggests. Which is very good. I also keep in mind every vehicle out there is bigger than mine. I also ride as though everyone looking sees only what is beyond or around me. I'm invisible. I never assume I've been seen. I plan for the dumbest move the other guy can make. I'm always using that plan.
X2 on that antiq. I just act as if im invisible too.

1992 VN750 22,350 miles 18,700 when I bought it last year 04/17/2008

Streetshield EX
degoat
drilled mufflers
splines lubed
Capped (soon to be coaster)
Custom Grips
Wide blade levers
Throw over leather saddlebags
Deka MF AGM ETX15L
NGK Iridums
DIY Brackets,and highway pegs

To do list.
custom seat
teardrop mirrors
DIY Floor boards
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 10:32 PM
Old Fart

Garage
I answered "a" for all the questions, but was not happy with it for the last one.
It says "When I make a mistake, or accidentally cut someone off, I give the “oops – my bad” wave."

First, I am not sure what the "oops-my bad" wave is, and secondly...

I never make mistakes.

But I don't honk my horn or give anyone the finger, unless I am behind the wheel of an 18 wheeler and have a friend on the roof with a 50 cal BMG on a turret.

I made the horrible mistake one time of honking my horn at some a-hole that turned right in front of me, causing me to brake heavily to avoid hitting him.

He then went freaking nuts and if I didn't have the abiltiy to out perform his **** ass SUV he might have ended up smashing into me due to his own idiotic rage. He eventualy pulled over , guessing I would too and we would duke it out or something, but instead I drove on and left him trapped in traffic.

When you are on a motorcycle you will never win any arguement with a four wheeler, so keep your fingers to yourself and run away if need be.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 12:29 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

Well I made a solid 8. I`ve been known to make a rolling stop at times, and use the horn on occasion, but not on the bike. Nobody could hear it any way. But on the pickup I have 2 extra sets of horns off of some old Buicks. If you cut me off when I`m driving it, you will think you`ve got a freight train driving straight up your...your... well you get the picture.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 10:58 AM

i was cut off on the e-way one day , i rode up next to the person and gave them the frendly finger and rode off, with in a mile the person cought up with me , it was a female it turnd out , i thought " now im in trouble " as i thought she might be mad, but when she got next to me she rolled down her window and rolled up her shirt and yelled "sorry"
it was a good day after that

DRAGONRIDER
RIDE LONG AND RIDE SAFE
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 04:34 PM
Undercover Sportbiker

I got a 10, but only because there is nothing between A and B, and I was closer to A than B on some. I actually managed to almost cut off a biker this morning while driving my truck. He was still about a block away (based on the intersection he was at/passing) he was moving at a good clip. My truck moves pretty good when you hit the go pedal, which I did, knowing he was coming. The guy definitely felt slighted though, cause he blew past me in the next lane (35 zone) like I was standing still. He then managed to run the light at the next block when it was a pretty dark shade of red. I'm sure from his perspective, it seemed a lot worse. He's probably telling his buddies "Some A-hole in a big a$$ ford damn near ran me down this morning!" You have to be courteous and ride like you're invisible, cause the only people that can see you are the ones driving the "Smart Car." I saw one the other day driving next to an HD cruiser, and the bike was higher AND longer than the car.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement