My choice of helmet - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

My choice of helmet

2 years ago my wife surprised me with a new helmet, she bought it because she knew I'd like the colors.

A week after I got it, I was side swiped by a car, I hit a curb, and was thrown over the bars. Landed and slid on my face, chest, knees.

My helmet took the initial impact, as I landed face first, before I even managed to get my hands under me.

I tried to get my body to fall and slide the right way, but the force of the hit, and the speed of my body pretty much just tossed me around like a rag doll.

I'll never forget the sound of the pavement slide from inside the helmet, watching the pavement up close and personal, and wondering if somebody was going to run me over from behind before I stopped sliding.

The helmet, as you can see in the pic, kept my head intact and my face attached, in fact, I had no head or face trauma at all. If not for the lid, half my face would simply be a smear. You can't see it in the pic, but the gravel cut down into the helmet shell in some spots.

(My leather jacket was worn pretty good, but not to the point of exposing any skin, and my jean, knees, legs were pretty much just shredded)

Anyway, here's the after photo of my helmet, and this post is just a "share", not a sales pitch, or podium preach. Some recent threads reminded of this pic, and I thought I'd share it.

(on a side note, sliding across the pavement at about 40mph, standard jeans will wear clean through in approx 5 ft, skin won't last that long, and a helmet should certainly last longer.)

(the other pic I threw in just for the hell of it)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hjc.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	1515   Click image for larger version

Name:	helmet1ro2.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	1516  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 12:49 PM
Vintage bike addict

Wow!

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Eleanor Roosevelt.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 01:46 PM

I need reminders like this now and then. I have a full face, but I also have a half I got for the really hot weather and it's so much more comfortable and alot cooler that I find myself opting for it more and more. I should wear the full face as much as I can. I admit that when it's really really hot I'm out in a sleeveless T and the half helmet.

"Shutting up rarely leads to anything bad"

Joe McAdoo
Springfield, MO
[email protected]
VROC # 28175
-2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic 22000 miles
-1995 VN750 (Back home again!) 25000 miles
-1995 Suzuki DR350 Dualsport 1720 miles

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 02:04 PM
On His Lady Vulcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joem View Post
I admit that when it's really really hot I'm out in a sleeveless T and the half helmet.
Thats what us people in the Airline industry calls "Bravo Delta"

Big Dummy!!!

To each their own, I hope you remain safe out there but ATGATT is the only way for me. Good luck!

Peace

"You came out of your mom looking like SHlT. She thought you were beautiful. Don't know what scared me most, your looks or her judgment."

Pictures of the "Ladies"
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joem View Post
I need reminders like this now and then. I have a full face, but I also have a half I got for the really hot weather and it's so much more comfortable and alot cooler that I find myself opting for it more and more. I should wear the full face as much as I can. I admit that when it's really really hot I'm out in a sleeveless T and the half helmet.
Have you tried mesh jacket and pants? When moving, they let in so much air I've never been uncomfortable, and I'm farther south and more humid than where you live! Not only do they resist abrasion, but they have armor or padding in the common contact points. Try it, I think you'll find it comfortable and it can help keep all your body parts together. Think I'd feel naked without them, and for sure without my full face helmet.

Thanks for the picture, Doug.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 08:08 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to cglennon
Your helmet damage is consistent with the industry studies. Notice that almost 20% of the damage is along the chin and lower jaw. Another reason to have a full helmet!

Click image for larger version

Name:	impacts.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	1517 -click to enlarge

Chart showing percentage of damage to post-crash helmets studied

Chris Glennon - Portland, OR

Last edited by cglennon; 03-28-2009 at 09:08 PM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 08:22 PM

Full face for me all the time. Your comment about the jeans being shredded though just reminds me I need a pair of draggin jeans or something... I always feel like my knees are the most exposed things when I'm riding around with my helmet, padded jacket, boots, and regular jeans...
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 08:31 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

I hate even trying on a full face helmet, but there is no denying that they provide the most protection. Thanks for the reminder Doug.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 04:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cglennon View Post
Your helmet damage is consistent with the industry studies. Notice that almost 20% of the damage is along the chin and lower jaw. Another reason to have a full helmet!

Attachment 1517 -click to enlarge

Chart showing percentage of damage to post-crash helmets studied
Thanks for that pic Chris, I used to have that one saved but lost it and spent sometime yesterday searching for it.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 07:43 AM
Rider on the Storm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlHossCanada View Post
I hate even trying on a full face helmet, but there is no denying that they provide the most protection. Thanks for the reminder Doug.
That's what I thought too, OlHoss, until Ben Roethlisberger took a header in Pittsburgh when someone turned in front of his crotch rocket. I went full-face after that, and it took me about two days to get fully used to it. Now, I can't imagine taking off without it! In the summer I open the vents and flip the visor and I'm just fine!

EZC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement