well I have finally done it - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Motorcycle Safety Discuss safety ideas/tactics or safety-related products.
Ride Smart!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
well I have finally done it

I am close to fifty and I just bought my first full face helmet,new no less,I had been considering going to one for awhile and seriously thought about buying one of the modular helmets,but after reading a post on here ,I think it was by Knife Maker,where he was wondering how well they would hold up in a face first crash.And I also have a friend whose 19 year old cousin in OH is in a coma and has been for several days now and the only place on him besides the head injury is a laceration on his ankle. This boy was wearing a high quality ,name brand full face helmet I am told and it broke or split.It told me that at my age I better buy the real deal.So after much searching and trying on,I found one that fit my melon right an that is going by what the video with Jay Leno and the Arai Rep ,I believe that is the right brand I bought a Vega with the removable washable liners/pads.It is a far cry more protective than what I have been wearing even if it isn't the most expensive helmet made.Any body had any experience with the Jafrum Leather Jackets with the CE armor in the elbows,shoulders and back?

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 10:10 PM

3/4 or full face?

hi denny...
i was going to post a question about helmets, but since you started this, i'll just add to it.
i've got a full face KBC that is a little to small, so i am going to get a new helmet.
i've been riding since early 70s and most of the time used a 3/4 helmet. i've been in lots of wrecks on my dirt bikes, and have always hit the back or top or sides of my head. never hit my face on anything.
so, i know a full face is the way to go if i was racing, but i'm thinking about going back to a 3/4 on the new helmet.
what are everybodys thoughts on the two for just street riding.
is a full face more for looks/style and a 3/4 more than adequate for the actual way my head might hit something?
has anybody actually had an accident where the 3/4 wouldn't have been enough?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 10:20 PM

ok heres my take..... with those brands you are doing almost that.... paying for the name.. i have a scorpion helmet... not the top of the line but it meets dot and snell standards so they have to be good... i have a power trip jacket that has kevlar reinforced back and elbow and forearm pads....

i too was in the modular helmet boat too and also had the same feelings but i have a friend who crashed and he had one on... destroyed the helmet but he came out ok... didnt flip open or break..

i see it this way..... id rather have a full face because asphalt is very unforgiving...... dirt gives a little bit but will still give ya a nice brush burn..... road rash on my face is not something id like to deal with..

Last edited by bigrepp61; 03-26-2009 at 10:25 PM.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 10:21 PM
former lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrum View Post
hi denny...

I believe 750Doug may have an opinion on this, if memory serves me.

I first bought a 3/4 but am now looking at adding a full face, especially since I'm a new rider.

Frank

VulcanFrank

'02 VN750/4266 mi.
Big Crank MF battery
Small floorboards.
Siliconed swingarm covers and tool box lock
Luggage Rack
NGK Iridium plugs
VROC #27777

Coming soon:
R/R move
voltmeter
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
hi denny...
i was going to post a question about helmets, but since you started this, i'll just add to it.
i've got a full face KBC that is a little to small, so i am going to get a new helmet.
i've been riding since early 70s and most of the time used a 3/4 helmet. i've been in lots of wrecks on my dirt bikes, and have always hit the back or top or sides of my head. never hit my face on anything.
so, i know a full face is the way to go if i was racing, but i'm thinking about going back to a 3/4 on the new helmet.
is a full face more for looks/style and a 3/4 more than adequate for the actual way my head might hit something?

instead of buying a new helmet get a size smaller "guts" you should be able to swap out the cheek pads and cradle or whatever they call it pretty easily.. take it to a dealer and see if they can help you out.....
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 10:26 PM

ok, thats a good idea i didn't think of... i'll see if i can get smaller pads.. i guess my head is getting bigger
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 10:38 PM

hahahah dont let it go to your head!!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
hi denny...

IIRC, Jay Leno said it best in the video denny is referring to. He talked about seeing the pavement go by through his face shield in one of his crashes rather than [I]feeling[I] it. You have no control over how you're going to make contact. Having everything on your head inside the helmet is the best insurance.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitecontrol View Post
IIRC, Jay Leno said it best in the video denny is referring to. He talked about seeing the pavement go by through his face shield in one of his crashes rather than [I]feeling[I] it. You have no control over how you're going to make contact. Having everything on your head inside the helmet is the best insurance.
It was enough to convince me and I just ordered a new leather riding jacket with the armor in it and am looking at some kevlar jeans to go with them,I remember road rash and still have scars on my arm from19 years of age when I was bullet proof I don't heal as fast as when I was young either,Denny

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 01:01 AM
The Professor

I went the opposite, I went from a full face to a shorty half helmet and could not be happier. JMO The Plexistar 2 Shield does make a difference!!!

85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS