Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Gear not engaging grind/poping

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Thansard45 
#1 ·
I can shift through gears but it doesn't engage I just hear a popping/grinding noise even with clutch pulled all the way in it doesn't make the noise in neutral the bike was running fine until one day I got on went to shift into second and it either slipped into neutral or I just missed the gear completely but now it won't engage any of the the gears acts as if something keeping the gear from meshing together as you can tell I'm not familiar with mc transmissions any help would be appreciated

#3 · (Edited)
Almost sounds like the spines in the driveshaft went dry and wore out.others that have gadget happen will chime in.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App[/QUOTE

I agree, a very good possibility... a cheaper / easier fix.

EDIT: ie: Splines are easier/less labor intense to replace....
vs the $6.00 Shift Rod replacement involving engine removal - & Splitting the Case

:smiley_th

#4 ·
So does it sound like a fork in a blender? If so it's your splines. If you need a final drive I have one for sale, then you'll just need to buy a driveshaft/coupler.

#8 ·
Ok so I got it figured out and order another drive shift coupling and now I'm stuck again the splines on the gear assy final gear are worn and the part number for the entire assy is 13101a and is $800 I can't find a part number just for the spline part anyone who has come across this please let me know

#10 ·
yea, much cheaper to find a decent used drive and change the whole assy

on a side note, since I am about to do the same thing this weekend, and I plan on changing the entire drive shaft instead of just the coupling (got a nearly new one for a song), does the rear jug exhaust pipe have to come off to pull the front bevel assy? Or will it clear it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.